Randy rhoads live tone on new marshall code amp

Tabs, Lessons, Tutorials of all styles. Got a question? Heres where to ask!

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Nick
Cool Member

Randy rhoads live tone on new marshall code amp

Post by Nick »

So I have helped this guy with Randy's live amp settings as well as his MXR 10 band EQ so that he could see if the Marshall code (marshalls new modeling amp) could come close to Randy's sound live.

https://youtu.be/DXLJLlpbuaI

What do you guys think??

I think it comes close
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Randy rhoads live tone on new marshall code amp

Post by Shockwave »

Doesn't sound close to me at all, just has that fuzz sound that the mxr gave but just different.

Recommendation just buy the script logo mxr distortions plus reissue if he wants the sound.

Just my opinion though. :D
Last edited by Shockwave on Sun May 29, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Shockwave wrote:Doesn't sound close to me at all, just has that fuzz sound that the mxr gave but just different.

Recommendation just by the script logo mxr distortions plus reissue if he wants the sound.

You can use pedals with this amp but he Didn't have any at the time of making the video, he was using the onboard distortion pedal with post Eq. Basically using Randy's exact live settings for the plexi preamp, 100 wat power amp, and a 1960 cab. With the el34 tube sim in the amp.

Marshal kind of shot them selfs in the foot not including a efects loop in this amp but you can still run pedals through the guitar Input

All in all this was just to try to see if the amp could come some what decently close to Randy's live sound, I personaly think it sounds more like the studio tone than the live tone.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Nick wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Doesn't sound close to me at all, just has that fuzz sound that the mxr gave but just different.

Recommendation just by the script logo mxr distortions plus reissue if he wants the sound.

You can use pedals with this amp but he Didn't have any at the time of making the video, he was using the onboard distortion pedal with post Eq. Basically using Randy's exact live settings for the plexi preamp, 100 wat power amp, and a 1960 cab. With the el34 tube sim in the amp.

Marshal kind of shot them selfs in the foot not including a efects loop in this amp but you can still run pedals through the guitar Input

All in all this was just to try to see if the amp could come some what decently close to Randy's live sound, I personaly think it sounds more like the studio tone than the live tone.

Oh I will agree also it sounds more like the studio than live tone as well. As far as the effects loop, even if it had one you would still want to run the distortion in the front of the amp instead of the loop. Really the only thing you want in the loop is modulation and delays and even that is debatable. I have a loop on my 78 Marshall and run everything in front of the amp instead of using the loop.
Nick
Cool Member

Post by Nick »

Oh I will agree also it sounds more like the studio than live tone as well. As far as the effects loop, even if it had one you would still want to run the distortion in the front of the amp instead of the loop. Really the only thing you want in the loop is modulation and delays and even that is debatable. I have a loop on my 78 Marshall and run everything in front of the amp instead of using the loop.[/quote]

The fact that this little amp can get Randy's studio tone is pretty cool, modeling has come so far in the past 20 years

And for $200 even for the 25 watt model that pretty impressive
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I was checking prices on Randy´s Marshalls, guess I have to save few more years, before my wife allows me to buy those :)
Mikel