Why?

Talk about Zakk Wylde here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

J.A

Post by J.A »

RockyRhoads wrote:Y'know, the title of the thread is "Why?" so that all you good folks can explain it to me. I don't agree with Zakk copping Randy's licks, but a lot of you make good points.

What would you all think if some country guy started playing a Les Paul with a bullseye paint job and playing Zakk's licks to the point where he started to overshadow Zakk? Would that annoy you or would it be a cool tribute?
In no way is that Zakk's intention. One day I will put together a "Behind the beard" post, and maybe it'll shed some more light on Zakk for a non-fan. I'll let you know, Paul.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I have never said it is Zakk's intention to overshadow Randy Rhoads. I realize Zakk is a big fan of Randy's and he does what he does out of respect. I simply don't agree with his methods.

Every time I comment on Zakk and give a differing point of view from the masses, people get upset and assume I don't know much about the guy. I read the articles and interviews in all the magazines. I don't delve into the web sites, because I am not a fan, but I am not ignorant about the guy either.

If I were to post something negative about C.C. DeVille I would get far fewer comments, I am sure. Although, in my opinion, C.C. is a fantastic guitar player.

Zakk is talented, Zakk is means well, Zakk is not my cup of tea. Personally, I'd like to see Zakk keep his Randy Rhoads memoribillia in his bedroom and be Zakk in public. That is all I meant by this thread.

I also was hoping some of you could give me another point of view to consider, which you have. So rather than try to sway my opinion, why not consider my point of view and try to understand why I would feel the way I do. I understand the Zakk supporters, I am just not onw of them.

In the end, we will all have a nicer world when we try to understand one another even if we do not always agree with one another.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

RockyRhoads wrote: Y'know, the title of the thread is "Why?" so that all you good folks can explain it to me. I don't agree with Zakk copping Randy's licks, but a lot of you make good points.

What would you all think if some country guy started playing a Les Paul with a bullseye paint job and playing Zakk's licks to the point where he started to overshadow Zakk? Would that annoy you or would it be a cool tribute?
you make a good point... im not really sure where i stand on the zakk debate...
J.A

Post by J.A »

Paul,

I see your point, I just do not agree. It wasn't until Zakk was a bit older that he was introduced to Lynyrd Skynyrd and the likes. Just like Randy, Zakk came from a classical background, but stuck to pentatonics for a reason, y'know. He never plays his Randy guitars with Ozzy, either.

I too am not a fan of tribute bands, but Zakk is something different all together, as he's out there playing his own material.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

RockyRhoads wrote:
Y'know, the title of the thread is "Why?" so that all you good folks can explain it to me. I don't agree with Zakk copping Randy's licks, but a lot of you make good points.

It would be a cool tribute :P Especially if they could pull of some of Zakk's rifs in a really country style. Now THAT would be cool. I'd love to see Brad Paisley do a Zakk song. Yee Haw :lol:
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

id laugh if johnny cash did a cover of crazy train before he died that would have been interesting!

Simon
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

siro_angel wrote:id laugh if johnny cash did a cover of crazy train before he died that would have been interesting!

Simon
The fact that Johnny Cash covered a Soundgarden song was pretty cool!
siro_angel
Mass Poster

Post by siro_angel »

RockyRhoads wrote:
siro_angel wrote:id laugh if johnny cash did a cover of crazy train before he died that would have been interesting!

Simon
The fact that Johnny Cash covered a Soundgarden song was pretty cool!
i know! i played that version at my bros party! he sung i played guitar!
"A man who aimed to bring his dreams to reality is not a fool, but the man who won't is."
atomicpunk5151

Post by atomicpunk5151 »

I think the original poster is over reacting a bit. It is a cool tribute to RR, nothing more, nothing less.

It keeps Randy's memory out there for people to enjoy.
JRid21

Post by JRid21 »

its a nice tribute but he will never be randy rhoads
J.A

Post by J.A »

JRid21 wrote:its a nice tribute but he will never be randy rhoads
Funny. Where does he claim that he wants to be?

Got to love all the assumptions.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Nowhere did Zakk claim to be better - or even equal to Randy Rhoads. That comment simply says, "I think Zakk is good but I will always prefer Randy."

As for "the original poster overreacting", no, I wasn't.

There is a guy all over youtube named Des Sherwood doing "tributes" to Randy Rhoads. Those "tributes" consist of him playing Randy's solos. To me (and I realize a lot of you'll disagree), he comes across as a poser when he does that stuff. Does that mean I don't think he's a talented guitar player? No. In fact he is a tremendously talented guitar player. He is very knowledgeable as well, having passed the testing for the RGT he has to be knowledgable. I'm quite certain he is an excellent teacher as well. I'd go so far as to say that due to his dedication to the instrument, he is 10 times the player I'll ever be. But those videos still come across as posing to me.

Zakk is exactly the same in my eyes. He may have studied classical guitar. He may know every version of every chord. He may have released loads of "solo" records with BLS. But when he plays polka-dotted V's and plays Randy's solo, he comes across as a poser - to me.

I did not over react, I stated my opinion and asked others for their opinion so I could see it from a different point of view. I did not ask for your opinions of me or my post, I asked for your opinions of the subject. But for those of you who want to continue making judgemental, condescending comments about fellow board members, go right ahead.
J.A

Post by J.A »

RockyRhoads wrote:"I think Zakk is good but I will always prefer Randy."
When you say "will never be", it means you'd have to compare them (turn it into a competition), and when it comes to guitar, I don't do that! Yes, I prefer X over X aswell, but that's all I do - prefer. I prefer vanilla over chocolate, but who's to say that vanilla is better than chocolate?

Question: Is quoting Robin Trower, and EVH, in his solo, posing too?

I try not to be judgemental by the way. I am sorry if I come across as such.
atomicpunk5151

Post by atomicpunk5151 »

I understand you opinion, we just disagree, no biggie.

Zakk is pretty much damn if you DO, damned if you DON'T.

You guys complain when he doesn't play the intro to some RR song note for note.

Then you guys DO complain when he does a couple minute tribute to RR and plays it like Randy.

He can't win for trying.....

No way he is a poser. You can't really compare him to Des Sherwood either.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RockyRhoads wrote: There is a guy all over youtube named Des Sherwood doing "tributes" to Randy Rhoads.
the admin of RR.tk and also the guy who actually got contacted
by the Ozzy camp before they rehired Zakk for Black Rain 8)