Kathy states there will be an “exciting announcement” on Randy’s birthday..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: Kathy states there will be an “exciting announcement” on Randy’s birthday..

Post by Cryptic Night »

I don't quite understand why they just stopped at the Distortion + pedal. Would have been a much bigger announcement if they had said they were releasing a Chip Pan replica. I mean, they had the entire pedalboard right there, took pictures of everything I'm sure and got all the measurements. Yeah, maybe they'd have had to do some licensing for a few pedals to keep the accuracy (IIRC he used a Vox wah, can't remember the volume pedal of the top of my head) but the majority of what he used was MXR. Hell, if they wanted to cut some corners, they probably could have just used a similar sounding Dunlop wah and thrown in any volume pedal they had and most people would probably have been okay with that.

Depending on how the RR D+ pedal looks and costs, I may pick one up for the hell of it, but I think they missed a huge opportunity to make a Chip Pan replica. They've already done his guitars, they've done the amps, pedalboard would have been the next big step. The D+ on its own was only a portion of what made the sound.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Cryptic Night wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:18 am I don't quite understand why they just stopped at the Distortion + pedal. Would have been a much bigger announcement if they had said they were releasing a Chip Pan replica. I mean, they had the entire pedalboard right there, took pictures of everything I'm sure and got all the measurements. Yeah, maybe they'd have had to do some licensing for a few pedals to keep the accuracy (IIRC he used a Vox wah, can't remember the volume pedal of the top of my head) but the majority of what he used was MXR. Hell, if they wanted to cut some corners, they probably could have just used a similar sounding Dunlop wah and thrown in any volume pedal they had and most people would probably have been okay with that.

Depending on how the RR D+ pedal looks and costs, I may pick one up for the hell of it, but I think they missed a huge opportunity to make a Chip Pan replica. They've already done his guitars, they've done the amps, pedalboard would have been the next big step. The D+ on its own was only a portion of what made the sound.
They examined the entire board and all the pedals in detail. They filmed and recorded all of the pedals. The chances of them releasing the MXR Flanger or Chorus would be pretty slim as Randy rarely used them on the albums. And there isn't really a signature sound he created with those pedals, barely noticeable usage. His wah pedal definitely had a unique sound, but that's only during his live shows, so that likely ain't happening either as most people are not aware of it. It was a cry baby wah.

A replica board would be nice but doesn't make sense for anyone other than for collectors. The board was comically huge for even back in Randy's day. If they created a replica board I would guess it would sell for 2.5-5k or more. Likely not selling more than a 250 of them, if that even.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Shockwave has it spot on.

The Wah is a Dunlop Cry Baby, NOT a VOX. The Volume pedal is a Roland FV-2.

Why just the D+ and not the Flange and Chorus...because they are stock and the Flange very, very seldom used (Flying High Again, a part comes to mind but that's about it). The Chorus, he did you a fair amount, but again, there was no MODs to it. His 1974 LPC was his main axe and if you look at the Set List and guitars used on which songs and how tuned (standard, Eb, etc), as was in his case when he passed and included in the photos in the Marshall 1959RR, there was 14 songs and the LPC used on 9 of them. It was his main axe and with stock pickups (PAFs or Super 74s with Alnico IIIs).

The tone was the cascading of the normal and lead channels in the 1959 Plexi, the EQing with the stock MXR 10-band equalizer, the MXR D+, and the Altec Lansing 417-8H speakers. Soo, the main component in the "chip pan" they need to focus on is:

#1 The Distortion+ - Was it stock or modified?? We'll find out.
#2 The Wah - Again, was it stock or modified??
#3 The Volume Pedal - Was this stock or modified??

The volume is a tone Robber and due to the amount of deflection of the pedal and coinciding with the rotation of the potentiometer, from fully down to fully up on a stock unit, you can't get the full throw of the pot! So, let's say it's a 100k pot...you only get, 50-100k - half cocked to full on, OR 0-50k - Off to half-cocked!! Soo, either you compromise one way or the other, OR it was modified. Between the two and if not modified, half-cocked to full on would be the way, else your tone would be compromised and be setting the gain, EQ, and distortion up to compensate.

The pedalboard is cost prohibitive....especially now with the cost of everything up. When I built up the clone "chip pan" 3 years ago, the cost of the metal enclosure was over $450.00. The Roadcase was $210. The momentary switches are like $20 ea. and there are 8 of them. There needs to be a custom looper and unique for this board (which needs a design, PCB and populated, components, enclosure, and wiring). When I built it, there was $2700 in parts I estimated I put in $1800 in labor, so total cost was just shy of $4,500!! That is just cost. These people...MXR, Rhoads family and limited production would need to add a profit margin on it, so yeah say $10k each, but no one is going to take on that kind of undertaking and design work. You have R&D work to design and come up with a looper system. You need a power supply, but with modern pedals can probably use one of the MXR units, like ISO brick, which I did by the way! Nope, I would almost bet my child's eyes that will never happen. $10k per unit. Would you spend $10k for it?!??

fyi - adjusting for inflation and current exchange rates...1100 pound = $1,160 x 3.14 ($1 in 1980 worth in 2022) = $3,650 in 2022. The pedalboard was expensive at that time, but if one currently to produce is $5k-10k....$3,650 is actually a bargain!! lol
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

equinox wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:20 am The tone was the cascading of the normal and lead channels in the 1959 Plexi.....
We don't know that.
To use the cascade of the 1959RR amp one has to plug into the normal channel.
From the live photos we've never seen Randy plugged into the normal channel of any of his amps.
IF the 1959RR is exactly wired like Randy's white jmp then he never used that cascade mod.
So it's either Randy never used the cascade mod OR the 1959RR reissue amp is not wired like Randy's was....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
equinox

Post by equinox »

I gotcha. Well, I can look at the "gutshots" of Randy's actual amp and let you know. Danny communicated "well, there was an extra resistor in there" is clearly visible to me as an engineer, previous sr. technician, so I can parlay the components on ST1 PCB and see what it was doing and we can see which channel was actually what.

Was the "Tribute" amp "exactly" like Randys...no, but the result I'm sure would be the same, but why the possible reservation...was he plugged into the Normal Plexi channel or cascaded?

When I saw the outside of the amp Kathy/the family had released, i noted there were FOUR speaker jacks, but the silk screen only showed a line and lettering over two! So, my initial impression was, wow, they added a FX loop in the amp!! However, when I saw the gut shots, I see, nope, there are four speaker jacks in parallel! I think the Tribute amp only has 2. Marshall did have amps with 4 Outputs. Not sure if these were stock or added on. I noted one of the jacks was sitting lower and again, why I thought a FX loop may have been added, but again, the jack could have just been cocked. They ay have added the extra speaker outputs for addl cabinets. In any event, no FX loop added, just addl speaker jacks and does nothing in regards to "Tone".

It's hard to believe he would go to the Marshall factory and request a MOD with addl gain, then not use it! I can tell you using the cascaded, the stages are different and one is bass heavy and why the EQ is such, to boost the mids and get rod of some of that "boom" and bottom the added stage on the normal/bass channel is adding and I'm hearing on mine. How he EQ'd it makes sense, so I think he was using the Cascaded and EQ'ing it....but have been wrong before, like with the pedals in the chip pan being taken our of their enclosures (but that's what Kathy had stated in one thing I read) and being on top, instead of bottom, which was not possible on my unit as I went with Aluminum for weight and Randy's is steel as you can see from rust, but to do Aluminum, you need to make thicker in case stepped on or something, so mine I designed and is 0.100", fyi!
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Shockwave wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:13 pmA replica board would be nice but doesn't make sense for anyone other than for collectors. The board was comically huge for even back in Randy's day. If they created a replica board I would guess it would sell for 2.5-5k or more. Likely not selling more than a 250 of them, if that even.
But that's my point. They've released copies of his PDV (though I think that was just Sandoval doing his own thing and the family wasn't involved), they've released copies of his Jackson Concorde, they've released copies (and aged relics) of his Gibson LPC, they've released copies of his white Marshall Plexi with a matching cab (though speakers were obviously different). Pretty much with the only exceptions of the PDV and the Marshall Plexis, which I don't think were too highly priced compared to normal ones, everything else was pretty much for collectors.

The only real difference is the notability behind the items. Obviously everybody knows his guitars, obviously everybody knows his amps (particularly the white ones). And it makes sense to make a RR D+ pedal as that's the only real pedal that's attributed specifically to Randy Rhoads.

However, I still don't understand why they wouldn't create a collector's edition of his pedalboard. Yes, it would be expensive. Most pedals are under the Dunlop company, so it wouldn't be hard nor expensive at all for them to make it (not saying they'd pass the savings on to customers, just saying that for Dunlop it wouldn't be expensive).

There were only 450 1959RR Plexis made. There were only a handful of Jackson Concordes made. There were only a handful of aged relic Gibson LPCs made. Why not "complete the set" and add in a replica pedalboard?
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
equinox

Post by equinox »

It's really great that all of the pedals IN the pedalboard are MXR. The D+ is very easy to duplicate and if nothing more than a stock unit basically, they can reproduce it, do some graphic work and make bank on nothing more than a stock D+. However, if it was modified in any way, that is going to be gold. The D+ is absolutely a part of the tone and DNA of the D+, but impossible to know, 100%, unless reverse-engineered and blueprinted, but no one better to do that, then engineers and Jim Dunlop himself!

There are some problems cloning the rest of the pedals as all used 120V inputs and internal transformers to lower the voltage, but all used different voltages between the EQ, Chorus, and Flange (12, 15, and 18V)!! Too expensive and ED&D work to engineer and retool and come up with new transformers. Easier to modify the design, remove the transformer and use their isolated power supply to power them. All would work except for the EQ!! The EQ uses positive and negative voltages, so 18V give you 36V of swing.

Another issue is the knobs and specifically the EQ. They don't make those any more, so would need to be tooled up and costly.

The Wah is Dunlop, but Volume pedal Roland, so if doing a complete system, would be a problem and custom/tool up as well as road case.

The looper would have to completely custom, as nothing I aware of exists at MXR.

The D+ and EQ make the most sense and as they already have an EQ and similar frequencies, that only leaves the D+ as outstanding item that was directly correlated to Randy's tone...unless there was other things going on inside like buffering or other things added that we are aware of.

In the end....we'll see and I HOPE there was some modification and "majic" going on. It's possible and if so would be exciting, but I think we may find out it's all just stock pedals!

We'll see.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Ok guys, I took a good HARD look at some thing...

First, I looked at the guts of Randy's actual white head that were posted in a video and when Randy's head were reverse engineered by the folks at Marshall. I identified the one (470k) resistor that Danny said was "out of place" when he looked in there, but was one of the things Marshall was doing to add gain at the request of musicians.

Second, I created a Marshall ST1 clone board and populated it to see what was going on.

Third, I looked at the layout of an era-correct amp to note the signal path.

Forth, I looked at the Marshall 1959RR tribute amp schematic.

What I determined was that the 1959RR schematic is correct. That the 470k resistor one leg was moved over from the 470k||470p junction to feed the signal back into V1b. The top-side of the 470k is fed to VR1P2, which is the wiper of the CH II Normal potentimeter.

Therefore, the outboard jacks and pot are for the cascaded mode (INPUT II) and inboard jack and pot for a more Plexi (uncascaded) mode (INPUT I), but with a very bright cap (4700pF) on the potentiometer.

I know there has been a lot of discussion of which input Randy actually used and some suggest it was the Plexi-mode (CH I). However, when I review those conversations and suggested photos, they are with the white speaker cabinets WITHOUT the black tape that was used on the DOAM tour, so I'm thinking those are BOO tour and possibly before he went to Marshall to have the head modified (and could have had the headshell and white speaker cabinets done)?!?

Really, to answer THAT question....would like to see pics of the DOAM tour and white cabinets with the black tape on them. Then we know he last tone, which was different than that previously. As indicated, cascaded does change the tone from more Plexi raw punch to more gain, but rounded off, but I think he may have been using the cascaded mode as that is what he requested and more gain from Marshall, else, he was not happy with the MOD they did, so was just using a bright plexi channel?!?? Any photos would be appreciated.

Now my ADHD is kicking in and since I do have some clone era-correct ST1 boards available...I'm going to take apart by white head and make sure 100% to how Randy's was!! LOL
Attachments
Randys Original Amp Photos 03.png
Randys Actual PCB.png
1959RR-01-60-02-v03.jpg
1402E34F4ECF27F727.jpg
The Flying Dutchman

There is a postcard from Randy he wrote to Kevin Dubrow when he just moved to England. He wrote Kevin telling him he did something that would Kevin make very happy: he finally bought Marshall amps and had them 'beefed up'. By 'beefed up' did he meant adding the 'cascade mod' ?
If so, then I think the cascade mod was in his Marshalls from the beginning.

I do have a 1959RR and I found when using the cascade mod you got more gain but the sound becomes somehow smaller ('narrow') and less open. You lose some of that 'plexi' sound and bite. So I got that cascade mod removed since at times I also wanted to be able to use the normal channel the regular way. When you run that amp at the volume Randy did (past 6) one got plenty of gain with a dist+ and EQ in front. So I think there is a chance that Randy realized later on he didn't really need the cascade?
And yes, his sound changes quite a bit between between '81 and '82. '82 sounds more like a 'cascaded' Marshall to me. But still never seen him using the normal channel in '82 either. It would be interesting to see the inside of Randy's Marshalls how they were wired.

You never know what's going on unless you can check for yourself.
For instance Gary Moore at the end of his career used 1959HW marshalls and seemed to only plug into channel 1 like Randy did. But Gary had is Marshalls modded as well: channel 1 and 2 were internally brigded. Most people would use a patch cable for that. Not sure how much sound difference that would make.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Hey Flying Dutchman

"By 'beefed up' did he meant adding the 'cascade mod' ?"
Yes. That is exactly what Randy meant.

As far as the inside of Randy's Marshall, the photo I included above with the circled resistor "out of place" Danny Thomas wrote about is Randy's actual amp gut shot, so that is his amp. I did a mark up of a populated ST1 board of the era above also, but will probably do a complete layout so everyone can see how populated and wired up 100%.

As I said, in Randy's actual amp, INPUT I would have been the standard normal mode which is a Plexi with a 2.7k || .68uF cathode, but also 4.7n bright capacitor across the potentiometer. INPUT II would have been adding (cascading) the Normal (Bass) channel with 820R || 330uF cathode into the INPUT I (normal) channel.

Yes, you are 100% correct. The "Plexi" mode is more "raw" and not definition and bass and thump. Cascading adds more gain, but squashed the signal.

For more gain, Randy would need have either needed to modify the amp, which he did, or have a different Overdrive with more gain (modified Distortion+). However, as part of Randy's overall tone...the D+ was essential as it really is a, like he even said at the seminar and labeled on the pedalboard, is a Fuzz OD! Any changes to the OD would NEED to keep the Fizz DNA characteristic, as part of his tone and we all love. You need that fuzz and sizzle on the top end. This is where this initiative by Kathy and the family having the folks at MXR reverse-engineer/Blueprint exactly how it is will finally confirm if any modifications to it, or not. It may be....it may not be...we'll have to wait and see, but in the end, we should/will know 100%.
The Flying Dutchman

equinox wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:17 pmHowever, as part of Randy's overall tone...the D+ was essential as it really is a, like he even said at the seminar and labeled on the pedalboard, is a Fuzz OD! Any changes to the OD would NEED to keep the Fizz DNA characteristic, as part of his tone and we all love. You need that fuzz and sizzle on the top end.
I wonder how much these Altec 417H speakers were responsible for adding that sizzle top end?
There is an interesting comment Randy made during the seminar at about 2:46: "I like that added treble dirt to it". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b78P7hBL_o&t=156s
It sounds to me he talks there about the fuzz box (dist+) that added treble dirt he liked. But maybe he was talking about the Altec speakers? Or could be the celestion speakers as well. I think if he had his mxr dist+ modded to a more 'fuzz' sound he would mention it there since he was detailed enough already saying he didn't use the regular celestion speakers in his marshall cabs. So I think he just used a regular script logo distortion+ pedal. Of course I can be wrong. (but keep in mind they need to sell these pedals when comming out...)

*someone like Frank Santa Cruz (who is a member here) can maybe tell if his dist+ pedal was modified or not. He bought a mxr dist+ pedal from Musonia at Randy's advice. But still he could have let his Dist+ modified only after he started using Marshall amps with Ozzy.
equinox

Post by equinox »

yeah, we'll see about the D+. I'm betting it is stock, just like the other 3 MXR pedals in the board. The thing if the D+ IS moded would be to get rid of the shortcomings. The pedal sounds great when distortion is turned up 3-5 o'clock and volume to at least nominal, but problem is in the design of the pedal and as you rotate the knob, it acts in an R-C circuit, so at 9 to 12 to 4 o'clock all have different sound and voicing!! :O

Yeah, Randy mentioned the "fuzz" that was added and referring to the D+. He mentioned the he liked the Altecs because they were a clean speaker and didn't break up. Both true again (as opposed to EVH who always blew stuff up peoples ass and sent them in wrong directions, like turning the variac UP and people blowing amps up!). The Altecs are high wattage speakers like an EV EVM12L....can handle a LOT of power 200-300w and Huge magnets, but the thing that really sets the Altecs apart is that silver cone in the center! It makes the tone very bright and treble, but also adds a glassyiness/ghosting on the notes!!

You HAVE to hear it and some very foolish people over time often communicate they have Randy's tone and if asked..."are you using Altecs?" and the answer is no....umm. No it's not. It's in the vacinity!! If you get a chance to play thru them and A-B them....you'll be like...Fuck Yeah. It adds another layer to his overall tone!

Just like the amp....cascading the normal Bass channel with 820R resistor and 330uF in parallel into a Plexi Lead with 4700pF cap across the pot....the 330uF adds a LOT of bass thru the early stages of the amp and makes it muddy...on it's own. The 4700pF cap makes the high end very trebly. This is where the both the D+ and EQ come to play. The D+ adds more gain, but also a "Fuzz" element to the tone....but there are shortcomings to it as well as the amp as I was saying, soo the MXR EQ, Randy used to "voice" the tone and even the while thing out to make optimal and your see this in his settings...lower the bass and pulling those frequencies out and "flub" as well as high end, but then also using the EQ as a Mid-Boost!!

His tone is really the sum-of-the-holes and if you really, really want to get it right...you have to have EVERYTHING....cascaded amp, but with specific values, D+, EQ and set to balance everything out, and Altecs!! Chorus/Flange, etc. used sparingly to color things or solos!!

Hopefully I'll get some clips up, but as always, I'm late and a million things going on.
estang74

Post by estang74 »

i thought it ran the d plus as a way to tighten up the sound with the gain super low and the volume of the pedal cranked?

If you used a decent amount of gain on the pedal with the overdriven amp, it would be really noisy and hard to control.
www.reverbnation.com/estang74
equinox

Post by equinox »

No. That's a more modern thing to crank the volume and then set the gain.

Back in the day, some people may have done that, in fact, there is a photo of Randy in session and a stand-alone D+ pedal with those type of settings with nothing plugged into it, but any photos of his pedalboard....YouTube 2018 clips with Kathy, to Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in 2021-2022 clearly show the D+ Volume was set to 9 o'clock and the Gain cranked.

This adds gain and opens up the pedal more instead of squashed at lower gain settings, it adds fuzz and sizzle on the tail end, but the low end is flubby.

As I said, the 1959 cascaded with the one-wire mod (resistor moved) mod adds a huge amount of bass with that 330uF cathode cap early on in the amp as it's in the Normal (Bass) channel and cascaded in to the Lead channel. This again, makes the bottom flubby and untight and reason the EQ would be needed to voice and correct these things along with what the rest in the signal chain, speaker, and cabinet would be doing to the end-tone!
Attachments
Randys Pedalboard Settings 05.png
Randys Pedalboard Settings 04.png
DSCN0135.JPG
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

equinox wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:20 am Shockwave has it spot on.

The Wah is a Dunlop Cry Baby, NOT a VOX. The Volume pedal is a Roland FV-2.

Why just the D+ and not the Flange and Chorus...because they are stock and the Flange very, very seldom used (Flying High Again, a part comes to mind but that's about it). The Chorus, he did you a fair amount, but again, there was no MODs to it. His 1974 LPC was his main axe and if you look at the Set List and guitars used on which songs and how tuned (standard, Eb, etc), as was in his case when he passed and included in the photos in the Marshall 1959RR, there was 14 songs and the LPC used on 9 of them. It was his main axe and with stock pickups (PAFs or Super 74s with Alnico IIIs).

The tone was the cascading of the normal and lead channels in the 1959 Plexi, the EQing with the stock MXR 10-band equalizer, the MXR D+, and the Altec Lansing 417-8H speakers. Soo, the main component in the "chip pan" they need to focus on is:

#1 The Distortion+ - Was it stock or modified?? We'll find out.
#2 The Wah - Again, was it stock or modified??
#3 The Volume Pedal - Was this stock or modified??

The volume is a tone Robber and due to the amount of deflection of the pedal and coinciding with the rotation of the potentiometer, from fully down to fully up on a stock unit, you can't get the full throw of the pot! So, let's say it's a 100k pot...you only get, 50-100k - half cocked to full on, OR 0-50k - Off to half-cocked!! Soo, either you compromise one way or the other, OR it was modified. Between the two and if not modified, half-cocked to full on would be the way, else your tone would be compromised and be setting the gain, EQ, and distortion up to compensate.

The pedalboard is cost prohibitive....especially now with the cost of everything up. When I built up the clone "chip pan" 3 years ago, the cost of the metal enclosure was over $450.00. The Roadcase was $210. The momentary switches are like $20 ea. and there are 8 of them. There needs to be a custom looper and unique for this board (which needs a design, PCB and populated, components, enclosure, and wiring). When I built it, there was $2700 in parts I estimated I put in $1800 in labor, so total cost was just shy of $4,500!! That is just cost. These people...MXR, Rhoads family and limited production would need to add a profit margin on it, so yeah say $10k each, but no one is going to take on that kind of undertaking and design work. You have R&D work to design and come up with a looper system. You need a power supply, but with modern pedals can probably use one of the MXR units, like ISO brick, which I did by the way! Nope, I would almost bet my child's eyes that will never happen. $10k per unit. Would you spend $10k for it?!??

fyi - adjusting for inflation and current exchange rates...1100 pound = $1,160 x 3.14 ($1 in 1980 worth in 2022) = $3,650 in 2022. The pedalboard was expensive at that time, but if one currently to produce is $5k-10k....$3,650 is actually a bargain!! lol
Randy did NOT use a Dunlop wah.

Dunlop was not making Cry Baby wahs at that time. The company was called Thomas Organ.
They made the Cry Baby in the 70s along with the VOX wahs.
I'm tired of seeing that incorrect information regarding Randy's wah pedal.
If you wanted a Cry Baby wah wah in the late 70s, you could either purchase a Thomas Organ 95-910511 Cry Baby or a JEN Cry Baby. The JEN was made in Italy and had a white rubber gasket / border. Very different look from the Thomas Organ wahs. I collect wahs and have both.
There is lots of information online regarding this. (There are Thomas Organ wahs w/ Cry Baby badges but w/ VOX / Cry Baby stated on the bottom plate, those are Italian Thomas Organ 95-910511 wahs. Very similar to the Thomas Organ USA models, but with taller feet and a trash can inductor.)

Randy used a Thomas Organ Cry Baby 95-910511 wah pedal.
The only questions I have are, was it made in Chicago, Ill or Sepulveda, Ca. And, did it have the TDK inductor or the Stack of Dimes inductor. Or was it the Italian 95-910511 Cry Baby / VOX stated above.

Here's a direct quote from the Dunlop website:
"In 1982, we acquired all the original tooling and machinery used by the Thomas Organ Company and Jen Elettronica when they manufactured the very first Cry Baby pedals."

There you have it.