yngwe malmsteen is larrge and sloppy -on that metal show

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

oth
Mass Poster

yngwe malmsteen is larrge and sloppy -on that metal show

Post by oth »

since this forum is kinda slow,i am posting this here....

ok ,ickwe malmsteen was on tms and as always, very entertaining-unintentionally of course!
he was pimping his line of guitar strings,straps and other stuff that will make you play faster etc apparently.

what i found funny on tms,was how everyone watching him play,were in awe of his playing...tms has had way better players and they dont get this reaction.
I havent seen icky whatever play in a long time and he sounds sort of fast but extremely sloppy with lots of crappy distortion and palm muting to hide his non existant picking....he also seems to only be able to do his fast runs when descending...he does mostly pull offs not pick -thats why his ascending runs are very brief...he may sound fast if you are watching his comical facial expressions and posing but he isnt really...basically he looks faster than he sounds.

Did ingwe get crappy over the years or was he always like this?or are new players just that much better than him?john 5,gilbert and all these other cats blow him away-its no contest.

Nonetheless,icky is verbally and physically very entertaining to watch and listen to.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Re: yngwe malmsteen is larrge and sloppy -on that metal show

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

oth wrote:Did ingwe get crappy over the years or was he always like this?or are new players just that much better than him?john 5,gilbert and all these other cats blow him away-its no contest.
Just like with Ed, Yngwie raised the bar back in the day because back then he was playing faster than most guys. However, over the years the young bucks caught up to him and surpassed him, just like they did with Ed.

By the way I always thought it was funny that both Ed and Yngwie were replaced by Steve Vai - in Alcatrazz and with DLR - and Vai is still the benchmark guy.
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

I've met Steve Vai, and let me tell you, he REALLY is a nice guy. Same with Joe Satriani...........both VERY humbled by fans' praise of their work.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

the thing i love about vai,satriani,and gilbert is they are so confident in thier playing that they dont think twice about sharing the way that they play with the world..top notch players indeed!!!
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Vai always struck me as being the most consistent and skillful player amongst those mentioned. He has quietly made his name through amazing playing, and has been a man of integrity throughout his career.

Malmsteen, while a great player in his own right, relies too much on the flash, and you guys are right - whatever he has done, other players have caught up and surpassed with their work and skill. It sort of seems to me that he's struggling to stay relevant these days as a player. The skill level of guitar players over the years has definitely increased; more folks are able to play a wider variety of stuff, and play it with precision and finesse. Guys like Malmsteen aren't on a level by themselves anymore, really. There's very few players left in that category, IMO.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:By the way I always thought it was funny that both Ed and Yngwie were replaced by Steve Vai - in Alcatrazz and with DLR - and Vai is still the benchmark guy.
I beg to differ 8)

oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

what drech!those songs make for painful listening...i ll take waterboarding over that....yngwe was better then and vai is as boring then as ever.
What seperates masters like rr and evh from these guys is tasty fills from randy;funky rythme and phrasing from ed.And most importantly a good canvas aka song.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

I'd even go as far as saying that Yngwie in that clip wouldn't smoke just about anyone :twisted:
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

It is important to note that Yngwe was in a car wreck back in the 80's and had to re learn how to play. Now granted I think he has gotten worse lately. But the early stuff is still pretty good.
Mr. Wolfe
Cool Member

Post by Mr. Wolfe »

I remember buying that first Alcatrazz record and thinking, "The songs are derivative of Rainbow and the solos just don't fit the songs." That was back in '83 before Yngwie was well known. I always felt he was taking average songs and playing fast showoff stuff to get attention... as a result I never paid any attention to anything he did after that.

My favorite Vai stuff is from Whitesnake's Slip of the Tongue record (which sucks compared to Sykes with Whitesnake).
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

Mr. Wolfe wrote:Isucks compared to Sykes with Whitesnake
yes.
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

gb looks like some dude from duran duran...good singer though...i remember buying it in 83...the playing was great but the songs sucked then as now...
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Am I the only one who thinks Yngwie sounds great in that clip of Hiroshima Mon Amour?

Vai sounds all over the place, but it didn't help that he used to overplay shit live massively.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

skezza wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Yngwie sounds great in that clip of Hiroshima Mon Amour?

Vai sounds all over the place, but it didn't help that he used to overplay shit live massively.
No, you're not the only one ;)
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

vai sounds pointless...he can play great but he doesnt make a statement...he's a guitar clinic to me.