Playing fast

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Playing fast

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, so there is a lot of talk in the subculture of guitar players regarding playing fast... we've all seen videos of this guy or that guy playing fast. The other day I found one where a guy was going for the world record for BPM by playing Flight of the Bumblebee at like 900 BPM... I thought it sounded like crap.

Anyway, I was looking through the thousands of videos I've got on my hard drive because I feel like sh*t tonight and wanted to listen to a guitar lesson I'd not heard... yep, I've got loads of lesson videos I've never even heard. I'm a lesson junkie.

So, back on track, I came across a lesson on guitar tricks and popped open a new window to YouTube to look for additional videos by the same guy. I found some interesting stuff, but what got me was something in that little sidebar on the right where they put 'related' videos. It was by a guy named Pebber Brown with a 'lesson' on playing fast. I'd never heard of him and figured he was another pretender to the throne of Randy (who in my book is the fastest tasteful guitar player - just listen to the soundcheck warmup)... I clicked anyway.

I'm now a Pebber Brown fan. I'm downloading all his YouTube stuff (550 videos), and look forward to gleaning wisdom.

Oh, yeah, watch this and let me know what you think.

BowTie29
Cool Member

Re: Playing fast

Post by BowTie29 »

I feel the same about Randy and thats why he is my favourite. He has taste in his playing even when he isn't playing slow ballad songs which is where many players are able to sound tasteful.