Motorhead 1984- Funny chat off Kerrang Flexi Disc

Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

ptate
Cool Member

Motorhead 1984- Funny chat off Kerrang Flexi Disc

Post by ptate »

Title says it.

Gone are the days where bands just waffled rubbish and it was put out as a free flexi disc. Attached to Kerrang in 1984 and sat in my vinyl (what's that....?) collection for twenty six years.

Worth listening just to have a chuckle......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkEC27MYY-o

:mrgreen:
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Re: Motorhead 1984- Funny chat off Kerrang Flexi Disc

Post by Ritchie »

That was some funny stuff :lol: , it was back in 1984 that I bought a guitar from Phil Campbell not long after he'd joined the band , it was a black flying-V made by Dave Dearnaley in Cardiff Wales . Phil had used that guitar when Motorhead were on "The young ones " .. anyhow to cut a long story short , I owned the guitar for about 18 years ,sold it to some dude who inturn sold to Dave Grohl in 2002 . Dave bought the guitar because he's a huge Motorhead fan .
Last edited by Ritchie on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
................................................................Image...............................................................................
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Ritchie wrote:That was some funny stuff :lol: , it was back in 1984 that I bought a guitar from Phil Campbell not long after he'd joined the band , it was a black flying-V made by Dave Dearnaley in Cardiff Wales . Phil had used that guitar when Motorhead were on "The young ones " .. anyhow to cut a long story short , I owned the guitar for about 18 years then sold it to Dave Grohl in 2002 . Dave bought the guitar simply becuase it once belonged to Phil and Phil was in Motorhead !
Ritchie are you one of these guitar collectors and do you have a massive collection ?. One of my mates has a bigish collection i think he had 38 on his last count. He says that he doesn't play half of them they are just wall hangers. I remember Motorhead on the 'Young One's' i was a big fan back in the 80's. I see that Phil has been getting a few new guitars built by TC Ellis 2 LP's and a strat. Are you good friends with Dave Grohl ? i remember reading about him having other peoples guitars. I suppose he will have a cool collection. I remember the body and smashed kneck from one of Kurt Cobain's guitars selling for big bucks. It looked like a pile of fire wood and some roadie had tried to salvage a guitar from the parts etc. I think it was mentioned in the Classic Rock mag.
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote: Ritchie are you one of these guitar collectors and do you have a massive collection ?. One of my mates has a bigish collection i think he had 38 on his last count. He says that he doesn't play half of them they are just wall hangers. I remember Motorhead on the 'Young One's' i was a big fan back in the 80's. I see that Phil has been getting a few new guitars built by TC Ellis 2 LP's and a strat. Are you good friends with Dave Grohl ? i remember reading about him having other peoples guitars. I suppose he will have a cool collection. I remember the body and smashed kneck from one of Kurt Cobain's guitars selling for big bucks. It looked like a pile of fire wood and some roadie had tried to salvage a guitar from the parts etc. I think it was mentioned in the Classic Rock mag.

No , I don't have a huge collection these days , I have pretty much scaled it back to where I have a guitar for a certain purpose and style of playing

As you can see in the pic above it's a modest collection and each and every instrument gets it's fair share of use
The image above has the "Motorhead" V just next to my leg , this pic is from around '85
................................................................Image...............................................................................
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Ritchie, you have just officially made me sick..... :wink:

Those "V"s are sweet. My first "real" guitar was a German made flying Vee that I wanted because Michael and Rudolph Schenker were my guitar heroes (plus both Accept guitarists).....

I've only got 16 to date, but most of them are Les Pauls of some description or another.....Still got GAS though.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah that is a very nice collection of V's they are the ideal Rock star guitar. I found this on youtube and that black Phil Campbell V is here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTd1SSYYyss
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Thanks Shaun for posting that clip ! That episode of TYO was aired shortly after I had bought the guitar , I fell off my chair when I saw it !!

Here is another pic of those V's I had :

Those Marshalls below are what I used to play them through Image
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Hey Ritchie,

Is that Vee a Schenker legit, or just sprayed up to look like his and what was the creme pup in the white one (DiMarzio)?
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

ptate wrote:Hey Ritchie,

Is that Vee a Schenker legit, or just sprayed up to look like his and what was the creme pup in the white one (DiMarzio)?
Yeah it was a legit Gibson , but yet it did'nt have the block inlays or bound board , back in those days I never had the luxury of instant reference like we do now with the internet , so I really don't know the model # or whatever .. In fact I don't even know what I did with that guitar !! LOL .. but like I say to myself more often than not " WTF was i thinking when I sold that " hahaha

As far as what pickup was in the white V .. damn ya got me there .. probably was a Dimarzio super distortion ??
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

I just found this site dedicated to Gibson V's .. here's some info http://www.flying-v.ch/schenker/ms_v.html
ptate
Cool Member

Post by ptate »

Sweet.....I think I've just seen my next buy..... :roll: :lol:
whiteee

Post by whiteee »

Ritchie wrote:That was some funny stuff :lol: , it was back in 1984 that I bought a guitar from Phil Campbell not long after he'd joined the band , it was a black flying-V made by Dave Dearnaley in Cardiff Wales . Phil had used that guitar when Motorhead were on "The young ones " .. anyhow to cut a long story short , I owned the guitar for about 18 years then sold it to Dave Grohl in 2002 . Dave bought the guitar simply becuase it once belonged to Phil and Phil was in Motorhead !
Awesome story... I like the fact you had it before you saw it on TV too!

I expect I am asking too much - but was wondering if you had any more details and/or photos of the guitar?

Did it have binding all round? What pickups were they and the bridge? CHeers Ian