Talk about other music and musicians.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Top 5 'new influences' - a continuation

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi guys

Like High Fidelities Rob Gorden I love top 5's :D

Here are my top 5 recent influences (the last 5 years)

1.John 5-I love his mixture of styles. Brian Setzer meets Rocky Skaggs meets Slayer LOL
2.Brian Setzer/Johnny A. both 2 sides of the same great coin!! Both wonderful clean players
3.Roy Marchbank-IMO The most original 'shred' style guitarist since Malmsteen.
4.Chet Atkins-speed/shred/technique? Chet can pick with the best of them and never sacrifice melody and style
5.Bernie Torme-His playing is like a dirty waton slut LOL...Raw, rock n roll and dirty

Top 5 non influences that I admire (ie writing original intersting music)

1.My friend Mike Lowery for solid riffing and original tone and feel)
2.Myspace friend and RRCD contributer 'The Donster'. Think of Satch but add a little bit more crazyness and less 'perfection'.
3.Eric Clapton-I am a recent Clapton convert and after 32 years I finally see what all the fuss is about!@
4.Angus Young-Definately in the same school of playing as Bernie..LOVE IT!
5.Carlos Santana...so,so, so cool 8)

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
RhoadsFan

Post by RhoadsFan »

Props for Atkins man. Very, very, respectable guitarist, that dude is!
“If you guys are going to be throwing beer bottles at us, at least make sure they're full.â€Â
LordThurisaz
Cool Member

Post by LordThurisaz »

*flings shit at John5* Booo, he's a hack.
LTD FX260 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, E/Drop D]
LTD H500 [Dist/Jazz] [9s, D/Drop C]
LTD H1001 [81/85] [10s, C#/Drop B]
GCB-95 [mod soon]
Boss SD-1 [mod soon]
Fryette Sig:X [soon]
Ampeg V412 [Emi Governor/MOW]
Randall RS412LB [Emi Super V]
DR strings
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

LOL i havent even been playing five years Matt so its harder for me to define recent, but here are some newish influences or at least artists who have opened my eyes to certain things.

1. Alice Cooper, i've been gradualy aquireing a taste for his stuff ever since i got to see him live in 2006. i especialy like his early 70s stuff

2. Roadstar, i think its safe to say that seeing these young unknowns had the same effect on me as seeing Alice Copper did on Randy :D

3. Vai, picked up some of his stuff a couple of weeks ago quite like it.

4. Satch, *same as above*

5. Joe walsh/ Eagles, ive really gotten into Joes material recently as well as his work with the eagles, in fact i thin he's had an effect much like Roadstar did 8)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

LordThurisaz wrote:*flings shit at John5* Booo, he's a hack.
the green eyed monster rears it's ugly head again :D
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Hey Matt, how ya goin. Cant agree more with Angus...THE pentatonic king!!! He only gets better over time :D

I would love to see a Carlos clinic here in March, Im still hassling this store to get their *&#! together with PRS and hook it up. We will see, looks promising though :o

Laters.
"Five years ahead? I would love to have people know me as a guitar hero. Someday maybe put out a solo album where I can dig into a lot of instrumentals." ~~ RR ~~
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

[quote="Stevie"]Hey Matt, how ya goin. Cant agree more with Angus...THE pentatonic king!!! He only gets better over time :D

I would love to see a Carlos clinic here in March, Im still hassling this store to get their *&#! together with PRS and hook it up. We will see, looks promising though :o

Laters.[/quote

Hi Steve

Long time no see!

I can see past the funny costumes and the limited scale vocabulary of Angus! He is a master bluesman and I think his technique is just amazing!

I wish like Clapton's hats off to Robert Johnson, Angus would too, do an album of authentic blues!

Or imagine him on the Jules Holland Show jamming with the rhythm and blues orchestra!

Matt
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

I don't know if I have 5 newer guys on the list.. Lets see,

1: Buckethead (This guys playing is what made me want to play seriously again, after a 5 year hiatus away from the fretboard. 2 years ago this month!)

2: John Petrucci (new for me)

3: Alex Laiho (I'm just beginning to get into this guy)

and that's it.. I want to check out John5 though, a lot.
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!