Nugent on Pantera

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Xanadu
Cool Member

Post by Xanadu »

MEH.....Bruce does scream, but he does it in context of singing, not in the gutteral way that seems to be so prevelant with alot metal bands today
".....the moment Randy Rhoads walked out on stage, you knew you were WITNESSING something IMPORTANT."
Supernaut
Madman

Post by Supernaut »

Hmm well I don't exactly call it screaming. But whatever you call it, it's not the sort of screaming I'm talking about.
[img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6482/randysig2text2ho.png[/img]
Wind is high, so am I, as the shore sinks in the distance
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

meh wrote:
Xanadu wrote:MEH.....Bruce does scream, but he does it in context of singing, not in the gutteral way that seems to be so prevelant with alot metal bands today
Yes, but he's obviously comparing Phil to Bruce. Take a listen to any of the early records with Phil (Power Metal or CFH), and you'll clearly see that they're actually very much alike! The "Rob Halford'ish" high-pitched vibrato screams is all there.
Pantera themselves said that they were influenced(as a band)
by the NWOBHM bands :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

meh wrote:
Xanadu wrote:MEH.....Bruce does scream, but he does it in context of singing, not in the gutteral way that seems to be so prevelant with alot metal bands today
Yes, but he's obviously comparing Phil to Bruce. Take a listen to any of the early records with Phil (Power Metal or CFH), and you'll clearly see that they're actually very much alike! The "Rob Halford'ish" high-pitched vibrato screams is all there.

I agree, the early Pantera records do sound similar to Priest and Maiden... I actually like those records. It's the later years when Phil started screaming like a man with marbles in his mouth that I don't like.

When a discussion like this is on a board, things get twisted sometimes unless the poster is extremely specific. Phil Anselmo is a screamer now who is hardly understandable - in my opinion. Phil Anselmo was a decent singer in days gone by - in my opinion. When I mentioned the vocals being the reason I didn'tlike Pantera, I thought it was obvious what I was talking about. Sorry, I should hae clarified - I dislike the last few Pantera records and Damageplan's record due to the vocal style.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

you know that Phil started singing with the boys
on the 4th album right ? Power Metal that is :!:
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randys roadie
Cool Member

Post by randys roadie »

I liked Pantera but I grew out of them and found they started to sound samey :(
Randy rocked
Stiltzkin

Re: Nugent on Pantera

Post by Stiltzkin »

Ted Nugent should just shut up as far as I'm concerned...
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

I'm still waiting for him to come through on his promise that he would be dead or in prison if Obama was reelected- not that I wish that stuff on anyone, but hey- a man is only as good as his word. And his usually are stupid, erroneous, and spiteful- a tabloid douchebag that only seems to get attention when offending as many people as possible.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

Holy old thread batman.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

RRFan4Ever wrote:I'm still waiting for him to come through on his promise that he would be dead or in prison if Obama was reelected- not that I wish that stuff on anyone, but hey- a man is only as good as his word. And his usually are stupid, erroneous, and spiteful- a tabloid douchebag that only seems to get attention when offending as many people as possible.
Ted Nugent is a coward.
he speaks ALOT outta' his ass and does very little to back it up.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Stiltzkin wrote:
RRFan4Ever wrote:I'm still waiting for him to come through on his promise that he would be dead or in prison if Obama was reelected- not that I wish that stuff on anyone, but hey- a man is only as good as his word. And his usually are stupid, erroneous, and spiteful- a tabloid douchebag that only seems to get attention when offending as many people as possible.
Ted Nugent is a coward.
he speaks ALOT outta' his ass and does very little to back it up.
Ted's just a has-been who desperately wants to still be relevant. I blame the media for giving him an outlet. What Ted has to say about anything is just as relevant as what Kim Kardashian has to say about anything... in a 'perfect' world our 'stars' would be consulted only on their area of expertise that brought them to National attention. In Ted's case that'd be guitar playing, in Kim's case that'd be, well, nothing.

By the way, I used to have Ted's 'guitar instruction' video and he sucked at explaining anything that he does, so in my 'perfect world' scenario he'd also be consulted on nothing.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

on the other hand, there's very few people that's good at
explaining what they do guitarplaying-wise.

I can only think of Satch, Vai, Gilbert and to an extent, Marty Friedman :)
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Can you imagine getting a Randy Rhoads video teaching!!! He would have been great doing that!