The Movie/Favorite Movies Thread

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: The Movie/Favorite Movies Thread

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I have had a real film fest these last few months! My wife and I reluctantly borrowed the first few Saw films a few weeks back and this last week we watched up to 6! Anyway, we saw the new 3d one yesterday evening and I THINK this is the final one too LOL It tied up a lot of loose ends, but did leave a lot of things open for (God helps us) saw 8!!! if they want to go one more :)

I have been thinking a lot about horror/thrillers recently and you do become immune to gore etc on films!. On the way back we said, yes it was good in places, not so good in others etc (usual after cinema run through with mates type stuff) but 'gore fests' are not as chilling as stuff like The Shining or The Wicker Man, in the way these films weave music and mood/atmosphere to make you afraid!

Having said that Saw wasn't just gore a tall. I completely understand all the months back when we bought Saw 3 from the supermarket, our mate said you have to watch 1 and 2 first.

Off to bed (hopefully non Jigsaw nightmares)

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Alex

I have never seen a Scream film! I am catching up on my horror at the moment. The new Saw felt a bit rushed and there were some missing details; I don't want to give it away!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

That's funny, I finally saw the first "Scream" for the first time just a couple night ago. I really enjoyed it. It's not just a senseless slasher, and it had a real classic feel to it. Not surprising since it's a Wes Craven film, which I didn't even realize until the end credits.

I actually worked with the assistant editor of Saw II for a few months. He was fed up with the rat race of freelance in Toronto, and decided to give a steady paycheck a try and came to work with us (science museum with a small in-house production department). He couldn't take the stress of our environment though and quite. He had his own real life horror show during his time with us when he was clearing his drive and got his finger caught and torn off in the snowblower! This edit suite is cursed.

I like watching the original "Halloween" during the week before Halloween, it's a bit of tradition. I only bother to watch it up until it gets into the slashing. I just love how the first half builds up and the music... simple, but very effective. It's so cool that John Carpenter composed the score himself. How many directors do that?! I just love the main piano hook, reminiscent of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" in "The Exorcist", as well as that slow piano bit. This film always takes me back to being a kid again.
Ric

DethCrew30

Post by DethCrew30 »

How about Resident Evil???
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

DethCrew30 wrote:How about Resident Evil???
lol far from a fan i'm afraid!

The first one was ok and the third was barely alright but the second one is one of the worst things i've ever seen. :lol:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

mine are..

the big red one(lee marvin was the ultimate badass)
animal house (ya gotta love belushi)
the blues brothers (the original all star supergroup)
the endless summer 2 (cause i know all the guys)
DethCrew30

Post by DethCrew30 »

Has anyone ever seen the movie Crossroads. Lol the Steve Vai guitar duel is epic
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Last week I watched the Lemmy documentary not bad, I love Motorhead’s music.

I have just watched Inside Job, produced, written and directed by Charles Fergusson narrated by Matt Damon.

It is a discussion of the 2008 financial crash, a beautiful/horrifying easy to understand round up of the situation that we are still in. The facts presented are easy to follow and verifiable with minimal effort.

It is has a shocking ending, where they prove that America is not the democracy we are lead to believe.

A must watch for all.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Alex wrote:Just watched Black Swan. Wow. What a movie. I am speechless.
Glad you liked it Alex, I went to see it two/three weeks ago. I'm a little more conflicted in my view though. I enjoyed the film visually, especially the opening sequence, but the narrative was overly simplified for my taste, and it all felt a little obvious.

Natalie Portman deserved her Oscar though, imo

Speaking of Oscars, a great victory for British film, although I'm a little surprised The Kings Speech did quite so well. 8) :?:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Simplicity is good, but I just felt the film ended up drawing too much attention to its own subject matter. It might as well type up its themes and print them on the screen in a halo of fire. Half-way through the film it started to bug me a bit;

Eg.

"Yes I know Natalie Portman is playing a sexually repressed character, now leave her crotch alone for f*** sake!"

"Stop telling me the story of the Swan lake! You told me already, I get that its an important mirror to the characters"

The themes are great, but the communication of the themes is not subtle enough, just my thoughts...

A good film nonetheless

Rob

p.s. seriously a lot of crotch grabbing and but slapping in that film, must be a theatre thing???
www.rstorey.co.uk
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

rice_pudding wrote: "Yes I know Natalie Portman is playing a sexually repressed character, now leave her crotch alone for f*** sake!"
That should be my new signature :lol:

thoughts people?
:mrgreen:

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk