The Religion, Atheism and Science Discussion

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Re: The Religion, Atheism and Science Discussion

Post by Cryptic Night »

shawn wrote:@Cryptic Night : Personally I think that a fair amount of people got upset with the pope’s recent visit there because in a speech he made a comment that the atrocities of the Second World War was the fault of atheists. Which is absolutely bullshit, and if I am not wrong I do believe that Hitler was baptised a Christian. I think that he may have forgotten about the disgusting practices of his church in the past and the fact that some of his priests like to rape young boys. Even worse he does not see the act of rape as a crime.
How would you not see the act of rape as a crime? Isn't that practically one of the ten commandments or something?
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Cryptic Night wrote: How would you not see the act of rape as a crime? Isn't that practically one of the ten commandments or something?
No it is not one of the Ten Commandments. He knew full well of the names of priests that raped young boys, he participated in communication and offered advice on how to handle these priests, but did not inform the authorities.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Westboro Baptist "Church"

Post by Trigger »

rice_pudding wrote:
Cryptic Night wrote:What happened with his visit? Sorry, I don't pay attention to most religious things.
There was nothing in particular wrong. It just the general reaction the guy gets. The British media covered his visit 24/7 and it got very old. The pope is worshiped like a "God" in his own right, which is pretty funny when you think about it. Worshiping false idols and all that...

I just don't like the Catholic Church in general really. I know some Catholics and they are my best friends and i respect their faith, but the church brings out a very scary side of their personality. Money, indoctrination, control, thats all it is IMHO.The pope has far to much power, he stands up and dictates how we should live our lives, and people follow him blindly. I mean people in England were getting hysterical over the pope, practically in tears because they get to see the old bugger. Frankly, the pope scares me, the only political figure i can think of who comes close to such blind devotion was good old Hitler... maybe thats where he learned his tricks.

Yeah i went there! Cos I'm a bastard :wink:

To sum up, i do not appreciate being subjected, via the media, to a crazy old man who spends his life telling other people, and governments no less (laugh my ruddy ass off) what to do.

Rob
I dont think his visit was helped by having and advisor of his compare the UK to a third world nation because we at heart are an athiest nation or at the least a non Papal following Democracy, which I think still rancals for those blind followers and very people who expect blind questionless devotion.

My Own issue with the Pope and his church is that they expect never to be contradicted and for me I dont think the Pope has the right to tell a Woman what she can or can't do with her body? it seems he is happy as long as she is throwing out chiuldren to keep the numbers up!
And since when was a man who is not allowed to have sexual relations the person you should go to for advice on everything? for the first 100 years the Ctholic Church allowed Priests to marry but that changed and now we see the result , in a world of mass media every crime or missdoing carried out by the clergy is exposed. To me this says loud and clear that change is needed if the church itself has any value in our modern world.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I disagree with you on being an atheist country. It has a rich tradition of Christianity and of recent times with multiculturism, it has more of a range of beliefs than before. There is a lot of Pagan belief in out country too, that also goes back along way, not to mention ordinary people who belief in spiritualism and other 'new age' beliefs.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

shawn wrote:
Cryptic Night wrote: How would you not see the act of rape as a crime? Isn't that practically one of the ten commandments or something?
No it is not one of the Ten Commandments. He knew full well of the names of priests that raped young boys, he participated in communication and offered advice on how to handle these priests, but did not inform the authorities.
I honestly have not read up on this and have only read/heard rumours (probably because I am scared of my mother in law a bit - ie it has made me not investigate further LOL)... If that is absolutely true, that is an absolute outrage.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:I disagree with you on being an atheist country.

Matt
Yes I should have said a majority Athiest or better still we are a secular nation, I suppose to add a little to that earlier statment the people I meet are mostly athiest! and the people who I do political work with tend to identify with a particular ethnic group Jew Muslim etc but are athiest and mention a religion only to demonstrate a background.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:
shawn wrote:
I honestly have not read up on this and have only read/heard rumours (probably because I am scared of my mother in law a bit - ie it has made me not investigate further LOL)... If that is absolutely true, that is an absolute outrage.

Matt
I actually thought that this Pope was put in charge (when he was a Bishop) of the committee that prosecuted the sex offenders within the church and that his prosecution rate was around 80%.
But if you are going to blame one pope, you have to blame them all, including John Paul II. It all happened under the watches of various popes.
I can respect the Popes as learned men, but that's where it ends. The Pope hasn't been a spiritual leader for quite some time in my humble opinion. The majority of Christians I know are Catholic but none are CATHOLIC. They were baptized and never went back to church since. I don't see the Catholic church every repairing itself. And it's not just the sex abuse cases that's damaged it either. If there are churches that survive into the next few hundred years, I imagine it'll be the "mega churches."
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

There is right and wrong-there is saved and unsaved-there is angels and demons-there is Heaven and hell- The bible is a history book and its been proven right since it was written. The last remaining prophecy is fast approaching. The anti-christ will soon come into power and declare a 7 yr peace treaty with Isreal and the nations surrounding it. Most of you will probally see it and when you hear of this event beware -only 3.5 yrs will be of peace-the next yrs will be hell on earth.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Lespauly wrote: The bible is a history book and its been proven right since it was written.

May I ask HOW it's been proven to be right?
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Well it was written about 2000 yrs ago-It predicted the coming of Jesus and his dying on the cross,the fall of Rome which was the mightest empire in its time, evil kings and evil empires,Napoleon,Hitler and the coming antichrist which is probably alive and well now. Isreal becoming a nation again in 1948..Just read it and see even if you don't like God you should know these things as they have happened and going to happen and theres nothing we can do about it...
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

Nostradamus also predicted most of these things. ANYTHING can seem like a prediction toward the future if you make it vague enough. Unless it specifically says something like "Adolf Hitler will rise to power in Germany in the year 1934" (The year he became Fuhrer) then I would hardly call it a true prophecy of the future.

I mean, could you call me psychic because I said "There will be a man who gains power in a great country and reaps a terrible destruction upon his people" ? No. It's too vague. Of course something like that will happen one day.

Got a little off topic there.
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

aren't we all too grown up for fairy tales ? 8)
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Stiltzkin wrote:aren't we all too grown up for fairy tales ? 8)
Robin,

In the spirit of the thread I would be interested to hear why you think they are fairy tales. I don't mean "interested" used in a confrontational manner either 8) ; I mean interested as in genuinely interested... to hear what and also why you think this.

Cheers matey :D

Matt
tedeeoo
Madman

Post by tedeeoo »

Regarding the Bible, The New Testament exists in over 5000 different manuscripts, some of which date almost back to the days when Jesus was actually here on Earth. Those 5000 manuscripts exist in nearly every culture or society that has a recorded history, even non-Christian religions acknowledge that Jesus was a real person, some see him as a prophet, others as a great teacher and one as the son of God. The Old Testament is backed up by actual archaelogical finds in various parts of the middle east as well as other areas, and both Testaments have stood up being passed down from generation to generation with very little change in the message. The "history" contained in the Bible is backed up by accounts in multiple cultures, archaeology and yes, science. I read where The Bible is far and away the most scholarly scrutinized piece of written material to ever exist in recorded history, and that it has never been proven to be incorrect, yes, alot of people may dispute it, but it has never been disproven and I would venture to guest that most of those scholars who have examined the Bible are far smarter than I am and most likely smarter than most of us here. I don't have a problem with anyone who chooses to not believe that the Bible is the word of God, that is your choice, same thing goes for what you choose to believe about God and religion, that's your choice. But if you make the statement that the Bible has not been examined and proven to be accurate then you really don't know as much as you think you do about the Bible.
"The Only Two Things In Life That Make It Worth Livin"