The Religion, Atheism and Science Discussion

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

ps

as Simon well atest too as he has stolen the recipe. I love pitta breads with chopped tomatoes, Sweetcorn, red onion, mushrooms, Jalapenos, Mozarella and a dash of olive oil...YUM!!!!!!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

No you ;)
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

These are some pictures are of the vega system which is featured in the premise for the book and film Contact with Jodie Foster.

This is not a literal picture but a picture created by sensing equipment .

Matt
Attachments
031208_vega_submil_00.jpg
031208_vega_submil_00.jpg (2.37 KiB) Viewed 3782 times
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Here is an artists impression of Vega.

The planets and space fill me with butterflies and are one of my main reasons I believe in a supreme being.

Matt
Attachments
artistsimpressionsmall-1.jpg
artistsimpressionsmall-1.jpg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Logan
Cool Member

Post by Logan »

Athiests and scientists want you believe that this started from nothing. A big bang that just happened and created every thing. The problem is that you can not get something from nothing, that is a universal law. Also the big bang would have been a reaction to something, and in order to get an action from something there must be action applied to it. SO someone or something set it all in motion.

YOu do not get life this intricate by chance, I can not believe that even for an instant. There is a supreme being, call it God or whatever but there is something there.
"...But these go to 11..."
bigduke6
Madman

Post by bigduke6 »

Logan wrote:Athiests and scientists want you believe that this started from nothing. A big bang that just happened and created every thing. The problem is that you can not get something from nothing, that is a universal law. Also the big bang would have been a reaction to something, and in order to get an action from something there must be action applied to it. SO someone or something set it all in motion.

YOu do not get life this intricate by chance, I can not believe that even for an instant. There is a supreme being, call it God or whatever but there is something there.
exactly...something had too start it all...a creator
shanic
Cool Member

Post by shanic »

Logan wrote: There is a supreme being, call it God or whatever but there is something there.
I’m not being rude but as you say said you cannot get something from nothing who created the creator? Did he think himself into existence?

It is a deep subject and I in no way have any of the answers.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

shanic wrote:
Logan wrote: There is a supreme being, call it God or whatever but there is something there.
I’m not being rude but as you say said you cannot get something from nothing who created the creator? Did he think himself into existence?

Which is why this thread has real value because I come from a background similer to yours Shanic and I see real worth in a subject such as this that lets questioning of all our beliefs sit side by side talking over our positions.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

shanic wrote:

It is a question of such paramount importance when a child I teach says "I am not missing anything important..it is just religous studies" (in the uk syllabus it studies all religion and atheism too) , I always say it is the most imprtant subject at school!!

the irony is the three often disregarded subjects...

Music
Physical Education
Religious studies

are regarded often as unimportant and not relevant to a child's outlook.

They are in my mind all read character building things!

Matt
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Shanic you are right though, it is ofcourse beyond our limited human understanding.
It is possible though to appreciate some amazing things which I think are divine in themselves and often tangible! :)

Life exists and against all odds we are here...that should be celebrated every day.

Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

Here is a pretty cool article about the human mind, and why the human mind is so far developed that it creates the "God Gene" which is why people are religious or spiritual. I don't think that's a great explanation, but! :lol: Read it anyway, I am sure it is interesting for all folks regardless of background. [/url]
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Nicole

That was an ace top notch article!!! :) I think it is necessary to explore as much as possible.

I posted a similar video link to Richard Dawkins and recommended his book The God Delusion-not as a put down to believers, but on the contrary, to instead see things through a diifferent angle.

A great book that opposes everything you believe, but is argued convincingly I think can only do good. It either disproves your faith by quoshing what you thought was correct, or it stengthens it and enables you to answer questions from someone who is a non believer with greater empathy for their intellectual reasoning.

I still believe in God despite reading Dawkins' book. It is a great, great read.

Thanks Nicole. Please post any thing similar too. I always read and enjoy

Mattxx
Logan
Cool Member

Post by Logan »

Trigger wrote:
shanic wrote:

Which is why this thread has real value because I come from a background similer to yours Shanic and I see real worth in a subject such as this that lets questioning of all our beliefs sit side by side talking over our positions.
It would stand to reason yes. That is of course also depends on your edfinition of God. I don't pretend to know who created God or supreme being (Whatever) but to answer the direct question about what created this world it must have been someone or something, because if we takje into account universal laws of action and reaction, the science argument of random stuff happening to create this world does not stand up. They impale themselves and render their argument void.

I think ultimately what we are seeing is a rebellion against a creator by wanting to feel ourseelves that we are supreme beings, the creators of our own lives and destinies, yada, yada.

Call God what you will but there is something out there and we must come to terms with that.
Logan
Cool Member

Post by Logan »

My above reply came out wrong. I am answereing yes that someone created God Not yes that God thought himself into existance.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Logan wrote: I think ultimately what we are seeing is a rebellion against a creator by wanting to feel ourseelves that we are supreme beings, the creators of our own lives and destinies, yada, yada.
I agree with that statement, Logan.

No one created God, however. God existed before time itself existed. He is on a plane we humans, with our limited intelligence cannot understand.

This article explains what I am trying to say.