The master of the Fender, Mr. Joe Holmes!!!

The guitarists of the Ozzy Osbourne band who never recorded with him.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mxr82

The master of the Fender, Mr. Joe Holmes!!!

Post by mxr82 »

Why do people give Joe Holmes such a hard time about his years with Ozzy?

Comments and opinions please!
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

because he couldn't write songs ?

from the bootlegs I've heard with Joe, he sounds like he's trying to copy Zakk,
and I'm pretty sure he got the gig just because he once was Randys student.
mxr82

Post by mxr82 »

If you remember, he didn't tell ozzy he was Randies student until after he got the gig. I've jammed with him and hung out with him a few times, each time I ask him why didn't he stay in Ozz's band he always said that Ozzy always treated his guitarist's after Rhoads died like crap! Joe told me that he has always considered himself more of van halen copy kind of guitarist. He also told me that he did actually record three demos with Ozz but Ozz thought they sounded to much like his older sabbath-rhoads kinda stuff and never released it!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

mxr82 wrote:If you remember, he didn't tell ozzy he was Randies student until after he got the gig. I've jammed with him and hung out with him a few times, each time I ask him why didn't he stay in Ozz's band he always said that Ozzy always treated his guitarist's after Rhoads died like crap! Joe told me that he has always considered himself more of van halen copy kind of guitarist. He also told me that he did actually record three demos with Ozz but Ozz thought they sounded to much like his older sabbath-rhoads kinda stuff and never released it!
Thanks; great information!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

I like Joe Holmes, I thought he did a better job than Zakk (in my opinion!). I always like his tone and I always like his stage presence. I mean, we say he couldn't write for shit, but i'm not sure whether he even stayed with ozzy long enough to have the chance.
Alex
Mass Poster

Post by Alex »

xx123456
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Joe Holmes On David Letterman

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I have to admit that Joe didn't have a stage presence that is worth remembering. In fact it is rather "homeless" looking. Here he is on David Letterman way back in 1995. Still, I like his playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNWjkx03 ... re=related
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re:

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

mxr82 wrote:If you remember, he didn't tell ozzy he was Randies student until after he got the gig. I've jammed with him and hung out with him a few times, each time I ask him why didn't he stay in Ozz's band he always said that Ozzy always treated his guitarist's after Rhoads died like crap! Joe told me that he has always considered himself more of van halen copy kind of guitarist. He also told me that he did actually record three demos with Ozz but Ozz thought they sounded to much like his older sabbath-rhoads kinda stuff and never released it!
Hmmm...interesting info. Thanks for sharing! I can see Oz sort of being this way with guitarists - he seems to sort of view them as "hired guns", unfortunately.

I'd be interested to hear those demos...if anything, Oz needs to return to his older sound. The new stuff is..."meh", kinda boring. I'm kinda wondering if he isn't keen on letting guitarists have too much say/writing credit to avoid the Daisley/Kerslake type situation that may occur if they produce something really good. Sad as it is, it may be a business decision.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Re: Re:

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
Hmmm...interesting info. Thanks for sharing! I can see Oz sort of being this way with guitarists - he seems to sort of view them as "hired guns", unfortunately.

I'd be interested to hear those demos...if anything, Oz needs to return to his older sound. The new stuff is..."meh", kinda boring. I'm kinda wondering if he isn't keen on letting guitarists have too much say/writing credit to avoid the Daisley/Kerslake type situation that may occur if they produce something really good. Sad as it is, it may be a business decision.
I honestly think Ozzy struggles to write these days, he needs people like Zakk Wylde, Bob Daisley, Randy Rhoads , Lemmy etc to do the job for him. All his successfull albums have been done when Ozzy has the smallest amount of input. He's got some good developing ideas but as far as writing lyrics and finishing a tune ?....
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: Re:

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:

I honestly think Ozzy struggles to write these days, he needs people like Zakk Wylde, Bob Daisley, Randy Rhoads , Lemmy etc to do the job for him. All his successfull albums have been done when Ozzy has the smallest amount of input. He's got some good developing ideas but as far as writing lyrics and finishing a tune ?....
I completely agree with you. Oz is limited at best as a songwriter, but apparently has the coherence (well, Sharon does) to surround himself with talented musicians. To be fair, he's not the only singer that does this...many folks do not write their own material. And really, it does take a good ear to seek out musicians who will bring something to the table. If nothing else, Oz has had very good luck in this department.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Re: The master of the Fender, Mr. Joe Holmes!!!

Post by Lespauly »

Yea I liked Holmes for what little Ive seen of him-one live show and he had on shorts and no shirt-he looked ragged but sounded alright..Just a pair of leather pants and maybe a cool t-shirt would have helped a lot..I did not and do not care for Zakk or the new guy..
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I saw Joe 3 times and I thought he was OK, I wish he had recorded with Ozzy, I hope that we get a cgance to hear his demos someday.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

I saw Joe with Ozzy 6 or 7 times... i thought he was a great player live. I read one time that joe and Robert Trijillio wrote all kinds of stuff for Ozzy while Ozz was away doing a Sabbath reunion but then when Ozzy returned to start working on the new album he didn't even really care to hear what they had written. They then began to work together on some stuff for Down To Earth three of those songs do appear on the album. But I think at the end of the day Ozzy was just more comfortable having Zakk there to work with. Safety net kind of situation.

I miss Joe... wish he was still around in some compacity. With another band or something. Hell.. to be honest i wouldn't mind him back with Ozzy.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
roballyn

Post by roballyn »

I had the honor of meeting Joe in Memphis along with Mike Bordin, Robert Trujillo, and Peter Steele(R.I.P.). I can also say that I'm the proud owner of the dreaded metal pick that broke the string during Mr.Crowley(recorded a week or so before). I asked Joe what happened, and he gave me the play by play, reached in his pocket and said "by the way, here's the pick that caused it"! Also gave me a few of his "throw out" picks. We must have chatted about 45 minutes, and he signed an autograph for me too. I cannot say enough nice words about the guy, and YES, he was more than willing to talk about Randy. He mostly talked about how kind a person Randy was and how he hoped to be as such to the fans. TO JOE IF YOU EVER READ THIS....YOU'VE SUCCEEDED IN MY BOOK!
lithead

Post by lithead »

For all you Joe Holmes fans,

The first song from FARMIKOS, the new band led by former OZZY OSBOURNE/DAVID LEE ROTH guitarist Joe Holmes, can be streamed at Farmikos.com. Holmes is joined in the new group by former LAIDLAW singer Robert "Robbie" Locke .

Says Holmes: "It's been a long time coming. I'm really proud of this music and am excited about getting it out. So far everything has been done without a label or management and we're in the process of figuring the best way to put this music out.

"I've been working with a great vocalist Robbie Locke and fortunate to have had Robert Trujillo and Brooks Wackerman guest on this set of songs along with songwriting contributions from Brent Hoffort."

http://www.farmikos.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FARMIKOS ... 41?fref=ts