pictures of Randy's pedalboard

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

joediesle

Re: pictures of Randy's pedalboard

Post by joediesle »

Gotcha ya... Check out the link Randys sister and brother took his gear out of storage for the video and they narrating .
equinox

Post by equinox »

Which one? This one?? or....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igujYBTl28I
joediesle

Post by joediesle »

Yes, that's the link... they show all his gear and close up pic of the peddle board. Around the 20:37 min mark in the video for his peddle board.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

That is one great looking pedalboard!!! Lucky you!!!
It took a lot of time and effort, I hope you're happy with it!!!
I wish I could do something like that... :P
I have now collected some guitar pedals from the past; Ibanez flanger (1980), Ibanez Delay III (1985) and also guitar-synth Boss SY-1 etc.
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

Thanks soo much Mikel

Yeah. It's pretty cool and a little breathtaking.

Now that I've done it, it would be easy to reproduce as I have all of the suppliers and parts list defined. Don't plan on mass producing it or anything, but I'm sure I'll probably make 1-3 for select people and that can afford it. I've already had offers!! I'm like...it's NOT for sale. I just put it together and haven't even put miles on it, to which they replied "everyone has a price!!" :O

I plan on playing on it for a while and demoing it for others to play thru as a lot of interest. Then, really since not my main rig, but a tribute...I really think it needs to go on the road with someone and put some miles on it and at actual shows. I already have friends in Ozzy tribute bands and play my gear. Maybe they would be interested in using it and having an even more authentic rig and stage show??

We'll see. In the meantime....LONG LIVE RANDY RHOADS!!!!
equinox

Post by equinox »

Oh, a couple things...what's your vote on the head??

1. Keep the faceplate black and white, or make gold and black like a Marshall?
2. Keep the footswitches all black, or paint gray, like Randys??

I can make even more authentic, but people really like what I did. Just curious of there's opinions.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I wouldn't mind having a pedalboard like that! :D
So, if you're going for reproduction at some point, keep us informed! Tho' I have quite a lot of stuff, so I will have to make some room!!! :lol:
Mikel
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Great job! Looks awesome!

My immediate thought was that it looks too clean and new :D . Something did seem off and what you said afterward about the pedals being all black is definitely it. I would say that since you came this far already then just add the grey to the pedals if easy enough. It would add some contrast to the board too and make it a little more appealing.

Other than that maybe paint the nuts and washers black that are under the knobs for a cleaner look.

Regarding Pete Holmes building Randy’s board, it doesn’t appear that the did. Pete confirmed this himself in one of the interviews posted a few weeks ago that someone found here. He said it was built by “some guy in California”. This goes with other things I’ve read over the years also confirming that Pete didn’t build it.

And I should have mentioned this a long time ago but if your looking for switching solutions contact Analogman . His pedals and modifications to other pedals is top notch and he is well known in the industry. He has custom switching solutions ready to go that cover most applications, and he will custom make whatever you want. And he would know all the options of how things were actually done back in the 70s/80s.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I don't recall where Randy ordered his pedalboard from :?: I think Bob mentioned in his book about the pedalboard being delivered to Cleawater Castle, I think.
I cannot check 'cos I don't have that book handy.
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

Yes. Bob Daisley communicated the pedalboard in his book For Facts Sake on Page 125.

"Randy had an effects-pedal board made by a technician called Pete Holmes in London. Stuart Hopkins, our guitar tech, delivered it to Randy at Clearwell and I taped him using it for the first time. It had a 'Cry Baby' wah-wah pedal, a distortion unit, flanger, chorus, volume control, and graphic equalizer, all of which had been Randy's personal choice. The pedal board cost £1,100, a considerable amount back then."

So there you go, right from Bob....who made it (pedalboard), who delivered it, where it was delivered, and even cost!

Based on them getting together at Jet Records in late 1979 and after rehearsals at Gloucestershire's Clearwell Castle going to Surrey's Ridge Farm in March 1980...the pedalboard must have been delivered in early (Jan-Mar) 1980.

Yes, I 51%/49% thinking of painting the switch pedals and yes, that's easy to do. I'm also looking to stencil and part "RANDY RHOADS" and "HANDLE WITH CARE" as Randy had on all his gear and pedalboard roadcase and head! :D Again, I'm a perfectionist.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

So, Stuart Hopkins was a guitar tech, right. I guess Pete Mertons came on board after Bob and Lee were sacked and Osbournes took over? I don't remember if Bob tells about in his book...
Mikel
joediesle

Post by joediesle »

I read in an interview that Peter Holmes said he did not make the peddle board...he said a guy in California did, but he didn't name that person. I"ll see if I can find the interview. I myself always thought he made it.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Yeah joediesle, you're gonna have to provide 100% proof of that. Everything says Peter Holmes did it and it was delivered to Randy in England. Some people confuse Pete Maertens (Ozzys long time friend now dead and Randy's Guitar Tech) with Pete Holmes, sometimes Pete Cornish. But everything on the web says Pete Holmes and including Bob Daisley who has an elephant memory and document everything.

There's this link of Randy's rig that circulated on the web for a while. Again, identifies Pete Holmes. The only reservation I have is the date. It suggests 1976! This means Randy would have had the board with Quiet Riot and before Ozzy! Is that correct and anyone provide photos? Else, just consider that part in err. I think error as Quiet Riot wasn't making it up until Randy left and lived with mom and had that cheap car. It wasn't until hooking up with Ozzy and Jet Records and such that the establishment had the money to fund things, so the early 1980 makes more sence.

stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I've never heard about anyone else building that pedalboard :shock: It would have been great if Randy had that pedalboard with him at his seminar that was recorded and would have explained some details about it...
Also info on how he chose his pedals etc.
Well, maybe we'll never know. Unless we ask Bob Daisley!!!? :mrgreen:
Mikel
equinox

Post by equinox »

Yeah, besides Bob, the family and Rudy Sarzo are all alive and would be good people to engage to get some feedback...why pedals chosen, when was the pedalboard made, who made it, when was it made (Ozzy or had previously in Quiet Riot)

Yeah, would have been cool if Randy answered directly. It was cool enough that he did touch on some things he was using and why Altecs and not Celestions and what was better to his ears and why.