Interesting.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

mojopin70
Mass Poster

Interesting.

Post by mojopin70 »

Especially the highlighted text.....

Of the songs on Tribute, are there any you enjoy singing the most?

"Suicide Solution." I remember when we wrote the song, it came about by sheer accident. I was drunk in John Henry's, a rehearsal facility in London. Randy was tuning up the Flying V and I' ran in there and said, That's a great riff. I had the lyric in my head for weeks, 'Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker. Suicide is slow with liquor.' It happened to give birth to itself. It's a special song for me. It sticks out in my mind and I think he plays it real well on Tribute. The unaccompanied solo is amazing. After not hearing it for five years and then hearing him play it, I got goosebumps, The very first song we wrote was "Goodbye to Romance." He was living at my house and I had that melody in my mind for a long while, even when I was in Sabbath. Randy asked, 'Is that somebody else's song? It sounds like a Beatles song.' These were the very early days. Another song we wrote early on was "You Looking at Me Looking at You." It was a B-side of the original "Crazy Train" and on the picture disc, It's never been heard since. We never played it live. "Believer" always reminded me of "Purple Haze." "I Don't Know" always brings back a memory of Monmouth. We rented a house there and we would jam for hours. I'd think of melodies and he'd work on them. It was an unusual combination for me, because up to that point in my life, with Sabbath, they'd get the riffs going and say, 'Ozzy, we want you to sing on that part and this part. Don't sing on that part and that's where the guitar solo goes.' Randy Rhoads comes along and says, 'Tell me what you want me to do?' He would get deep inside the feelings and bring it out of me. He was a teacher with patience forever. I'd be falling on my ass and he'd say, 'You're not talking to me; let's work this part out. It's a good idea, but how about this?' Randy was a very patient man. When he would do a guitar solo he would spend days and days in the studio. I'd think aren't we going to go to sleep yet? He would say, 'Hey man, I ain't got it right yet.' He was a perfectionist. You'd know when he gotten it because he would come out with this big golden grin on his face. What is the best overall band performance on Tribute? "Goodbye to Romance" and "No Bone Movies" are the highlights for me. They've got that edge. The original band that I had of Lee Kerslake (drums), Bob Daisley (bass), Randy and myself would have been a great band if it wasn't for the fact that they were always complaining and bitching about this and that, If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them. Making Diary of a Madman was a real rush job, as Randy said. We wrote the album in about three weeks. But I think it is one of the greatest pieces I've ever had the pleasure of working on. Randy's guitar playing was phenomenal, no matter what he said He felt it wasn't as original as the first. He wanted to go further. I remember doing the original vocal line to "Flying High Again." Don't ask me to remember it. But I changed it. The 'Oh no' part was a total accident. I was trying to double track my voice but I came in one bar early. I kept it. When we Wrote "You Can't Kill Rock and Roll," we had a real big problem when it goes into the guitar solo. We couldn't get out of the vocal. We tried it every which way and couldn't get out, so we left it the way it t was. We thought, screw it, let's go. We were living together in this dingy little apartment when we did the album and I remember waking up hearing his guitar and thinking, What is that? He was getting a classical guitar lesson. So I hear this riff and say, that's mine. I'm stealing that, He said, 'What are you talking about? I'm having a guitar lesson. Get out of here.' But we adapted a riff from that guitar lesson for the beginning of "Diary of a Madman."

Heres the whole interview : http://randy-rhoads-online.com/articles ... -last-tape
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Re: Interesting.

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

Oh, Ozzy.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Nice find

Loved this read

It's interesting to here this coming from ozz

Randy is a very touchy topic when you mention it to ozz
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

This is what Bob said :

Hi Nick, This interview is full of holes, inaccuracies and, in some cases, lies. For a start we took a lot longer than three weeks to write 'Diary', maybe if you added up all the days that Ozzy actually turned up at writing sessions you might get three weeks. As for 'complaining and bitching', we only ever spoke up when it was necessary, about business and our rights, Lee and I represented Randy as well because he was 'non-confrontational'. Ozzy knows that the original band was irreplaceable and he and $haron fucked it up, it's all excuses. Ozzy actually admitted to me during the recording of 'No More Tears' that I'd been right about Lee, that they shouldn't have got rid of him. I was asked back within weeks of being ousted with Lee, they just didn't have a clue about what they were doing. They're idiots. Cheers, BD.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know O.O feels massive guilt about Randy to this day and also about the original lineup, when Sabbath were at the house in Monmouth around 2006 or so, Ozzy went straight to the room where Randy had stayed and said to my friend " this is my room"

He has to live with it for the rest of his rotten life!
"If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" Ozzy Osbourne

It's regret, i think that really is the worst kind of pain, yeah guilt is bad, and sadness is bad, but regret is the sickly combination of both.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Ozzy knows that the original band was irreplaceable and he and $haron fucked it up, it's all excuses.
The interview with Steve Machat (refer to the derailed 'It Is Complicated' thread) doesn't really jive with Bob's comments (quoted) that it was Sharon and Ozzy that f****ed it all up. It was much more complicated than that.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Crickets...
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

shred1 wrote:
Ozzy knows that the original band was irreplaceable and he and $haron fucked it up, it's all excuses.
The interview with Steve Machat (refer to the derailed 'It Is Complicated' thread) doesn't really jive with Bob's comments (quoted) that it was Sharon and Ozzy that f****ed it all up. It was much more complicated than that.
I agree that it's a very complicated situation but Sharon Arden was responsible for the break up of the original band, not Steven Machat. I've no doubt that the US tour with the original band would have gone ahead, as scheduled, if Sharon hadn't got her way.
Yes, at Don's request, Machat arranged a distribution deal in the US for BOO and DOAM, and he's said that he didn't want to get involved with the lawyers of the other THREE band members so focused on Ozzy, but the band remained signed to Jet, and Don Arden remained their manager.
Was Randy affected by that US record deal? No, Randy stayed in the band and apparently in the weeks leading up to his death his wages had risen to $1,000 a week on the Diary tour, which is said to have brought in around $600,000 a week... I found that interesting!
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Yes, at Don's request, Machat arranged a distribution deal in the US for BOO and DOAM, and he's said that he didn't want to get involved with the lawyers of the other THREE band members so focused on Ozzy, but the band remained signed to Jet, and Don Arden remained their manager.
Without sounding argumentative, in this very quote you mention Don Arden as well as Machat, so, in fact, Bob's comments don't really ring true - 'it was all Sharon and Ozzy'. That is false.

Don suggested it. Machat executed it. Sharon Arden just didn't have the authority to do this all herself. She was an employee of her father at the time.
Don was the boss. Further to this, I have read that Don wasn't crazy about Randy's playing - he thought Rhoads overplayed. Unfortunately, my point of reference on this is Sharon's autobiography...
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

shred1 wrote:
Without sounding argumentative, in this very quote you mention Don Arden as well as Machat, so, in fact, Bob's comments don't really ring true - 'it was all Sharon and Ozzy'. That is false.

Don suggested it. Machat executed it. Sharon Arden just didn't have the authority to do this all herself. She was an employee of her father at the time.
Don was the boss. Further to this, I have read that Don wasn't crazy about Randy's playing - he thought Rhoads overplayed. Unfortunately, my point of reference on this is Sharon's autobiography...
I don't see your comments as argumentative but I don't see anything 'false' in Bob's comments about the Ozzy interview either.
The distribution deal that Machat handled in the US had nothing to do with the break-up of that band or Bob and Lee getting ripped off. That was Sharon's doing. Machat's deal was simply to get the albums out in the US.

Yes, Sharon worked for her father but I wouldn't underestimate her influence. Sharon didn't get on with Lee, she wanted Tommy Aldridge in the band, as did Ozzy, and that was discussed several times with Bob. He wouldn't agree with their plan to change the formula, and that's why they were both sacked. Obviously Don would have known about the situation and he probably decided to use it to his advantage.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Unfortunately, my point of reference on this is Sharon's autobiography...
There's a book with very little credibility to it.

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

shred1 wrote:

Don thought Rhoads overplayed ?and this was in Sharon`s book, hmm . When you look at the bands from the us/europe in 80s after Diary of a Madman for example i think you could say almost any of them had massive self indulgent guitar wank included on their records. It was Don`s opinion but i really think Rhoads was very restrained and clever with his phrasing, his feel was great , technique was good. I think he didnt keep track of his overdubs enough and went a bit over the top overlaying stuff and it can get very cluttered.Some parts you can clearly hear tuning issues too( Beginning of S.A.T.O steel string acoustic) .But when you look at his playing overall i dont really see/hear it.I think he was very restrained and tasteful and its very obvious listening to Boo and Doam that he was not yet the finished article.

Bob is quite a busy bass player but he is tasteful and thats the key .At the end of the day everyone knows music is subjective.

Malmsteen for example is another thing that to me is overplaying!

Sharon suggested to her father, her brother and another executive " why dont we drop that wanker ozzy osbourne" . I bet she hasnt included that in her book............( pause) ........no i didnt think so......

I bet there are many things she would rather forget or pretend didn't exist or just simply rewrites history when its convenient .Ozzy went along with it and at best was weak and at best a spineless idiot he knew she was going to make him a lot of money so he was willing to put up with her shit .Both Ozzy and SHaron have mental issues, Sharon is on anti-depressants Ozzy too, this is the price you pay for fucking so many people over guilt and anger destroy people in the end. They say depression is anger turned inwards.

SHaron ( first) and Ozzy were a force by the time of DIary of a Madman. Machat did not suggest Lee or Bob should go. And Don wouldn't have orchestrated it alone.

So you are twisting facts to suit your own opinion. I think Sharon and Ozzy did indeed fuck it up and another stable ambitious manager would not have broken up a very good band for no reason at all, that is plain to see.

As Ozzy said "If I knew then what I know now, I'd have made five albums with them" ...If that is not regret and guilt then i dont know what is!! he has to live with it for the rest of his crappy life!

shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Don thought Rhoads overplayed ?and this was in Sharon`s book, hmm . When you look at the bands from the us/europe in 80s after Diary of a Madman for example i think you could say almost any of them had massive self indulgent guitar wank included on their records. It was Don`s opinion but i really think Rhoads was very restrained and clever with his phrasing, his feel was great , technique was good. I think he didnt keep track of his overdubs enough and went a bit over the top overlaying stuff and it can get very cluttered.Some parts you can clearly hear tuning issues too( Beginning of S.A.T.O steel string acoustic) .But when you look at his playing overall i dont really see/hear it.I think he was very restrained and tasteful and its very obvious listening to Boo and Doam that he was not yet the finished article.
First, what Don Arden thought of RR's playing is Don's opinion. Certainly not mine.

Second, I don't see any rationale or gain from Sharon sharing the opinion of her father with regards to Randy.

I am not twisting facts. But here is one. The 'band' went from being the Blizzard Of Ozz to Ozzy Osbourne due to, in part, Machat's involvement/haggling for a North American deal. Paperwork delayed and no signed contracts as Machat did his bidding.

Diary is not even released yet, and Blizzard was only available here as an import. so, no, she wasn't a 'force' at the time.

My point, again.... it was NOT all Sharon & Ozzy.
The distribution deal that Machat handled in the US had nothing to do with the break-up of that band or Bob and Lee getting ripped off.
Machat states categorically that he didn't want to deal with the other three member's lawyers - hence Ozzy being signed in North America as a solo act.
I stand firm on my belief that this had a major influence on 'how things went down'.
mojopin70
Mass Poster

Post by mojopin70 »

SHaron and Ozzy wanted to split the band up thats a fact. Sharon and Ozzy both wanted Tommy ALdridge. Sharon didnt get along with Lee. David Arden did but he was no longer managing the band due to family commitments. Randy Bob and Lee all stuck together in those early days. Sharon kept pestering Bob to get rid of Lee . Bob refused. Ozzy cried when they were recording Blizzard he knew it was going to be a great album. He also knew that lineup was pretty special. But he did not call the shots. His wife to be SHaron Arden did and he also knew if he fucked up again he would have no career. She offered Randy a solo deal . Randy Refused. He told Bob and Lee because he thought it was very wrong. The more Bob refused to change the lineup the more determined Sharon became. This is all fact by the way. Eventually when Aldridge was in place Sharon was confident enough to get rid of Lee , but she couldnt just get rid of Lee because Bob was sticking by him and so was Randy. So both Bob and Lee went.Randy even told Lee that he would leave too and Lee told him not to be stupid and stay in the band.Years later during " no more tears" Ozzy told Bob " you were right about Lee".

Machat did not split the band up by helping Ozzy Osbourne become the Ozzy Osbourne band. Sharon did by firing Lee and Bob. Sharon remember suggested to her father to " get rid of that wanker ozzy osbourne" before Blizzard was completed.

She nearly destroyed the band before Blizzard of Ozz had even been released.

Ozzy and Sharon fucked it up....

dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

And yet none of you point out the fact he said the band never played "You Looking at Me, Looking at You" live. Chelmsford 9/12/80, anyone?

Oh Ozzy...(rolls eyes)
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

Btw, long time no talk. I do more lurking these days. Doesn't mean the flame has burned out.