New hope for the 'Legacy'?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

New hope for the 'Legacy'?

Post by Paul Wolfe »

This is probably not news to most of you, but I just read it... If Sharon is out of the picture, Ozzy may have a different approach to anything Randy related he may have in the vaults.

Anytime a marriage breaks up, it's a shame... especially after such a long period of time. Personally, my opinion of Sharon has always been that she was more interested in herself than in Ozzy. I always got the impression that he was the vehicle for her to get into the spotlight. Could be completely wrong here, but that's my view.

So, those of you who believe there is more film out there, there may be new hope... my hope is that this will be a new beginning for Ozzy and Bob to agree on terms to release those rehearsal tapes Bob's got.

On an unrelated note, it feels petty to discuss this as I watch the chaos in Boston today. My prayers are with all those involved there.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Re: New hope for the 'Legacy'?

Post by randy will never die »

First it's nice to see you Paul

As much as I don't like Sharon I hope the best for the 2 of them

What happen in Boston

I heard that someone with a bomb was at the Finnish line or something ?
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

From the official Ozzy facebook page:
"For the last year and a half I have been drinking and taking drugs. I was in a very dark place and was an asshole to the people I love most, my family. However, I am happy to say that I am now 44 days sober.

Just to set the record straight, Sharon and I are not divorcing. I’m just trying to be a better person.

I would like to apologize to Sharon, my family, my friends and my band mates for my insane behavior during this period………and my fans.

God Bless,

Ozzy"
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Being who she is, I couldn't imagine Sharon allowing the problems within her personal relationship with Ozzy to affect any aspect of their professional relationship.
Even if they were officially divorced tomorrow, how would that enable Ozzy to do as he pleases with what is in the vaults?
Though Sharon has become quite the visible personality in media, she still has a cash cow in Ozzy. I could see her parting ways with the man, but never his name.
I don't imagine Tony or Geezer are too pleased to learn of Ozzy using again, with the Sabbath album and tour due in two months.

~T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

As we don't know the details of Sharon & Ozzy's business arrangement, we can only guess, but being her father's daughter, I would think Ozzy has only one way out of his contract. Whatever is on said contract is most likely pretty ironclad and swings in Sharon's favor.
If it went to the courts, he'd most likely be ruined financially.
All that aside, it is Sharon who holds sway over parts of Randy's estate, (music? publishing?) and the label would have final say over what's released...if I remember correct, somewhere within the press for the BOO/DOAM/Box release, it was mentioned these were the first in a series of remasters. That was now just about three years ago...maybe the label put the kibosh on this idea as the sales of the Rhoads-era material didn't sell as well as expected?
Guessing there, as I have no knowledge of what sales were, but if that were the case, the Randy years would be the most in-demand of Ozzy's solo career, and that's been done.
If there's some plan for BATM's 30th for this November, I haven't seen/heard anything...all the focus seems to be on the Sabbath reunion.
This is just a guess and my opinion, but I would think Sony would consider what was released in regards to Rhoads era audio/video is sufficient and a done deal...I'd also think the Rhoads family has closed that door for now, in regards to the legal issues they are experiencing.
~T.
Last edited by whoopiecat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Dupe...
Last edited by whoopiecat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

You make good points. As with everything Randy related, time will tell.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

What legacy is left to make available to any fans. why do 'you' think that Ozzy has a vault full of unseen footage and other rare shit ?. If he had anything he would of used it ages ago. Remember him viewing the unseen Paladium footage...he was in awe he's never seen a Live gig with Randy on stage.. Or was he just bigging it up for the camera ?. The Rhoads have nothing to offer apart from making Randy's personal items available for viewing. Unless you want to own a bottle of expensive wine what do they have to offer us. They don't have anything of any rarity as far as the music goes. Shit they even took the authors of a great book to court. Why!! they are doing something good for the RR community i think the family want to realise that his legacy will be forgotting if it wasn't for people like me and you plugging his name on this site. Remember its cool to visit this site but if you don't post stuff up. the site will go just like TK.. dull and not happening. Or has that already happened ???.
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

Actually this is news to me.

I don't pay any attention to rock'n'roll news these days. Don't even buy guitar magazines either. Have to say I'm actually a little shocked, with all they've been through I would have imagined they'd always soldier on. Unless there are other news sources we can't draw any firm conclusions, the article is a little spotty.

It's actually rather depressing. In a strange way Ozzy has always been a pretty good role model for not taking drugs. He always seems to discourage drug use if memory serves, not to mention he is a living testament to how drug/alcohol abuse can have bad consequences. On a whim I watched 'God bless Ozzy Osbourne' a few months back. The film was more revealing than I'd expected, and moreover I was genuinely happy to see an Ozzy who had kicked his habits, and perhaps finally put all that bollocks behind him. Now he's abusing again...

A guy the same age as my dad. Fuck me that's just terribly sad :cry:

On the matter of RR, I can't see any bright prospects coming from divorced. Even if Ozzy retained all legal rights to 'supposed material' how the hell is a drunk ozzy going to help? I'm sure a 65 year old addict has many things he'd rather do than suddenly get a brain wave and set about releasing more RR material.

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Meh.. Don't care about his abuse. If I had a few hundred million and was a rock god I would do the same probably.

Of course he does not promote drug use, but I would say he has not been sober all these years as he has said he has been either. I remember when No More Tears came out and he was promoting himself as being clean and all that shit. Don't Blame Came out a few months later and I believe he was smoking crack in a few takes right in front of the camera.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

While I'm disappointed in Ozzy as a fan, I do hope he gets the help he needs. Ultimately, it's sad, as he's a recovering addict, and this has got to be a big setback for him. I hope he gets healthy - it's sad to hear anyone has relapsed. Best of luck to Oz while he battles his demons.

As far as RR material, I don't see how this has any bearing on that. In fact, stuff like this would seem to be very low on his priority list, I would guess. My guess would be that Sharon holds the rights, the money, the whole thing. I seriously doubt Oz has much control over this end of things. While I would love to see more RR stuff released, I doubt this will be the catalyst that will bring about that happening.

In the meantime, Oz needs to get help, bottom line.
meadsie

Post by meadsie »

Hi Paul - glad to see you back :)

The only time we will get to see any rare Randy stuff (If it exists - we DO know "Brothers" Footage does) is when Sharon, Ozzy and The Rhoads' family are long gone. I.e when Jack and Kelly are running the Osbourne estate.

Until then, there will always be issues, legal battles and the like.

It is a real shame - but when that time comes... it will be Randy who??

There will be the hard core set of fans like us - but that is a very small audience to release new stuff to.

I just feel it won't happen.

We have a couple of live albums, 2 un-forgettable studio albums, Live footage of a whole concert (Not great but it was back in the 1980's and is better than nothing!) and the After Hours footage in HD - which to me is still the best footage we will ever have of Randy.

That will do me - I've given up of dreaming of this and that.. That dream faded away a few years ago. :(

Richard
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

"Sharon Osbourne surfaced in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, this week amid reports that she's currently living apart from husband Ozzy, but rest and relaxation (not to mention a foot massage) apparently won't be enough to foster a reconciliation. TMZ says she's informed her more mumble-prone half that she won't return to him until he

can show he's committed to sobriety for "the long haul."

On Monday, the veteran rocker revealed that he's been "drinking and taking drugs" for the last 18 months but has been on the wagon for 44 days.

But that's "not enough" for his long-suffering missus.

Sources tell TMZ that Sharon's "intention is not to end the marriage, but she believes she has to make it clear to Ozzy once and for all: She can't handle his substance abuse."

Her hard-line stance is understandable. After all, Ozzy once tried to strangle her in the midst of a vodka bender. And in 2011, he admitted to more than 10 trips to rehab, along with 40 to 50 short-lived attempts at getting clean.

Ozzy has denied divorce reports, but acknowledged his "insane behavior" took him to a "very dark place" and turned him into an "asshole to the people I love most, my family."

A fed-up Sharon has reportedly moved into the Beverly Hills Hotel while Ozzy sorts himself out.

"They've been through hell and back together," says a source. "They're not breaking up."

http://wonderwall.msn.com/music/gossip- ... 46.gallery
dannyahansen
Mass Poster

Post by dannyahansen »

meadsie wrote:Hi Paul - glad to see you back :)

The only time we will get to see any rare Randy stuff (If it exists - we DO know "Brothers" Footage does) is when Sharon, Ozzy and The Rhoads' family are long gone. I.e when Jack and Kelly are running the Osbourne estate.

Richard
The only thing that I feel comfortable saying the O's still have is the South Hampton show from 1980. It looked as if they were going to release it back when the legacy editions came out. I am sure they chose not too due to legal issues with Bob and Lee.
A total bummer as the few (5) songs we have heard from that show sound so good.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »