Depressed and Dissappointed

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

SLAGER
Cool Member

Depressed and Dissappointed

Post by SLAGER »

Oh man, this really sucks. I apologize to everyone in advance for bringing you down on New Years day, but I just have to get this off my chest.

An acquantance of mine posted on Facebook how awesome it is listening to Ozzy's first album. "Wow!" he wrote that it was "still the greatest music." Thats nice to hear, but when I commented back "Randy Rhoads rules", he and none of his friends knew who Randy Rhoads was. They must think Ozzy sings, plays guitar, bass and drums too. It saddened me to no end that the most exciting part of that Great music wasnt totally overlooked in favor of a well-marketed singer.

Happy new year. Long Live RR!!!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Depressed and Dissappointed

Post by Shockwave »

This is common and upsets me also,l but i have been used to it for 20+ yrs now of being a Rhoads fan. Unless your talking to another guitarist, or someone who truly follows the history of metal music or Ozzy. No one outside of those circles i have ever talked to has ever heard of Randy Rhoads.

*EDIT* Slager where in NH are you??? I live in Southern NH
SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

I'm in Londonderry, Shockwave. Where are you? I used to live in Nashua but moved up here a few years ago.
barossadude

Post by barossadude »

Well this could also be added to the depressed & dissapointed catergory - I've got friends who say the butchered re-masters of BOO & DOAM from the early 2000s are BETTER than the originals. To me not only is that sad & depressing - its also an insult. Then again, they were introduced to those albums a few years back when the record/ cd stores were only stocking copies of the re-mastered albums.
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

barossadude wrote:Well this could also be added to the depressed & dissapointed catergory - I've got friends who say the butchered re-masters of BOO & DOAM from the early 2000s are BETTER than the originals. To me not only is that sad & depressing - its also an insult. Then again, they were introduced to those albums a few years back when the record/ cd stores were only stocking copies of the re-mastered albums.

same here ive heared the remastered first but i likes the oringall 1 better
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

As fans are introduced to music they are very clueless on who plays what. Like the poser who wears a motorhead t-shirt and doesn't own a single cd by them. It's a muso thing and you get to know and love the people who play the songs. Not just the artist but the individual drummers, bass players etc. If you've listened to music from a young age and still like your old classic albums it would be pure ignorence to not have the knowledge or reading capacity to go on the internet and look at the history of the band or join a forum. Young fans have a lot to learn and only time can do that...
Watson503

Post by Watson503 »

barossadude wrote:Well this could also be added to the depressed & dissapointed catergory - I've got friends who say the butchered re-masters of BOO & DOAM from the early 2000s are BETTER than the originals. To me not only is that sad & depressing - its also an insult. Then again, they were introduced to those albums a few years back when the record/ cd stores were only stocking copies of the re-mastered albums.
Those albums were what introduced me to metal when I was just a kid and they hold a special place in my heart. I can't listen to those re-masters, it just isn't the same at all and just adds more towards my dislike for Sharon.

This is my first post as I just stumbled-upon this forum and Randy is my inspiration for playing and has always been a hero to me. I am reading Sarzo's Off The Rails and today made it to March 19th, 1982... I had to stop and reflect for a while, I remember the day my mother told me the news Randy had died. What a loss to humanity that was.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

Watson503 wrote:
Those albums were what introduced me to metal when I was just a kid and they hold a special place in my heart. I can't listen to those re-masters, it just isn't the same at all and just adds more towards my dislike for Sharon.

This is my first post as I just stumbled-upon this forum and Randy is my inspiration for playing and has always been a hero to me. I am reading Sarzo's Off The Rails and today made it to March 19th, 1982... I had to stop and reflect for a while, I remember the day my mother told me the news Randy had died. What a loss to humanity that was.
8) 8) WELCOME 8) 8)
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

Sooo

I had to do a "hero biography project" for English, so I chose Randy!! :lol:

I made a recreation of his black Les Paul as a visual display, and I put all my info on it. I also made a giant blue/white polka dot bowtie to go with it (to wear while I was presenting for extra emphasis) and I also wrote a 3-page essay (2549 words) for my presentation. When I presented, I didn't read from anything. I just stood there and faced the class and talked. My presentation was like 20 minutes long. :roll: It was like the best project I had ever done. It took me a month! (I already knew most of the information though!! :oops: )

And now everyone that was in my class except for my friend come up to me and are all like "When did he die again?" even though they know because I told them in my project. Then they laugh at me. :?

I still love Randy. I quote:

"Their disbelief suppresses them,
But they're not blind,
Its just that they won't see"

They're just jealous cause Randy's got the magic deep in his soul. :wink:

Most of the class didn't even know who RR was till I told them. It makes me sad when they say he's gay, I always counter that remark with "He was still an awesome person."
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

dont ever argue with someone who doesnt get it...be it religion,rascism,your favorite guitarist,musical styles..ignorance is undebatable!!that goes with anything in life seph!!good job on your essay too!!!!!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Tito it is ignorance ...it shows itself in more forms with the younger generation. Remember us old fans have cut our teeth and know everything about RR. when your listening to music you either love the song in a whole or you'll pick up on the guitar solo, drummer etc... If your happy to just be a fan of the music thats fine but when your just purely not interested in who are knocking out those shit hot vibes ...Shit i'd still be listening to my parents vinyl with no scope in music.. If it wasn't for going to the gigs and seeing these guys perform. Alas these younger dudes think that they are cool and like the old school music but i bet they know more about Slipknot and Slayer... Are they interested or are they just ignorent ?????..
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

I am not sure, but I feel that people should know more about things like that. This is what I said at the end of my project:

""""Overall, the world would be a very different place without Randy's existence, and although a lot of younger people don't really know of who he is, there are still some who do. And those who do will show the ones who don't, and will be inspired to do their best in what they're good at, because what you're good at is probably what God intended you to do in your limited time on Earth."""""

This is pretty true, right? :lol:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Well it is true if your into Randy Rhoads i'll give you a prime example...I recently mentioned that the track by Gary Moore Sunset..when Gary played this on the live Japan album he dedicated it to RR. some people who have heard this song probably didn't know who the guy was...but how many people would of wanted to know who he was .. If your into the music you'll have an idea, but if your not, the guy will just be another name who will sadly be forgottin..
Sepheratta
Cool Member

Post by Sepheratta »

Wow thats actually one of my favs....

+1 lol

No but seriously. Its like people hear the music but they don't like the music so much that they won't take the initiative to find out who composed it, or anything. Because they don't really care about the backstory of the song, perhaps? Or maybe the music doesn't mean that much to them.....
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Some people love the underground idea. Like "Nobody has ever heard of this band." Hipster stuff but I have had it happen, your band changes. When their band becomes mainstream and everybody loves them and it isn't as good as it was. "I don't care if people know it" to paraphrase Kevin how good of a guitar player Randy was because he knew it. Life isn't about winning a popularity contest. When I had the Blizzard album, it was new but the time Diary was selling, most of the cool kids went to the '82 show but it was Brad. It was very mainstream/popular but for them it was a faze but not to me. Maybe because I didn't go and see the castle stage and the midget getting hung. Bottom line, don't get strung out if people don't dig what you do. Our quirks are what make us unique.