Further Randy's Legacy, a Challenge.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Further Randy's Legacy, a Challenge.

Post by Paul Wolfe »

If you REALLY want to pay tribute to the guy this board is dedicated to, learn to play guitar to the best of your ability! Randy never stopped learning and thirsting to play better.

On Facebook, I 'liked' Dolphinstreet guitars. The quote of the day is from Robert Renman"
Robert Renman wrote:If you want to improve your playing, then focus more time on PLAYING and learning, instead of reading, testing and talking about guitar gear. Does this ring true for anyone? I claim myself GUILTY on more than one occasion!

I know, we all want to be happy with our tone and gear, and that's fine. Not everyone who plays guitar wants to become better at it. I'm just saying if you really want to get better at playing, at some point, stop the gear paranoia and start practicing more.
That couldn't be said better.

Want learn more? Start with this set of lessons. Even if you think you know this, watch the whole thing, add it to what you currently practice and you'll be furthering the 'legacy' of Randy that everyone likes to talk about.

I challenge each of you to start with this today and see where you are in 6 months compared to where you are right now. That would be Monday, April 15th, 2013. I also challenge you to keep a daily log of your practice to post in 6 months to show your progress.
ncm

Re: Further Randy's Legacy, a Challenge.

Post by ncm »

Good post... I always struggle with a practice routine.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

i will do it
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

randy will never die wrote:i will do it
Cool, I'm doing this also.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

im on part 3 this is good shit!!!!thanks for posting that paul!!my elbow has been messed up for the last 4 months but im gonna watch the rest of this guys lessons i really like his attitude and hes a damn good player and explains things for dummies!!!good post thanks dude!!!!!!!!!!
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

A lot of players become "gear heads". Nothing wrong with it, but a good majority of the players I encounter that have 57 pedals and expensive amps and guitars actually don't have great tone. If you can't get it with your hands first you aren't gonna have it no matter what kind of gear you are using.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Nowadays I tend to practise every day. Which is an achievement in itself! I try to play anything and everything, often I find myself jamming along the Scorpions-song (1972-1980 era preferably), Accept, Mountain etc are also amongst favourites. Ozzy/Randy stuff was/is what I have always played, alongside Black Sabbath-of course. I think it´s just like Randy said; playing makes you better and when you keep bettering yourself, you´re likely to stumble on things and you will learn. I feel it very rewarding when I´ve learned some new progression, scale, riff or song. I used to go for songs and got very frustrated when I kept just dragging along, so I´ve taken it different route and whatever I learn is good, as long as I keep playing. Randy has quite a legacy, considering how long he was with us. Long live Randy Rhoads!!! :D
Mikel
Efrum

Post by Efrum »

Awesome. Thanks for posting this Paul. Pebber Brown is a joy to learn from.
For all you Buckethead fans out there, this is Brian Carroll's first teacher. Brian got his sarod picking technique directly from Pebber.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Okay, so can anyone help with how to apply this arrpeggio idea?

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was looking around and came across Pebber Brown's videos on how to learn scales. Both Part 1 and Part 2 are worth viewing. I was intrigued with Part 2 specifically, where he likens learning scales to working out in a gym. He shows you how to play the G major scale for five reps (like bench pressing) and then asks if you could do 250 reps in one sitting.

I don't think I could play up/down that scale 250 times at this point, but it does give me another goal! I currently practice the minor pentatonic up/down through all 5 positions multiple times a day (I've never kept count of how many times). I do the Key of E on Sunday, F on Monday, G on Tuesday, etc... So now I'll also do the major scale and work up to 250 reps at a go...

Kel

Post by Kel »

Paul -

I just wanted to say thanks for this post - I havent touched my guitar since I moved - just busy and stressed and it felt great just to do some scales -- Im no good but I enjoy it - so thanks from a fellow Rhoadie for the encouragment

kel
Verbum Domini Manet en Aeternum

Kel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Kel wrote:Paul -

I just wanted to say thanks for this post - I havent touched my guitar since I moved - just busy and stressed and it felt great just to do some scales -- Im no good but I enjoy it - so thanks from a fellow Rhoadie for the encouragment

kel
Y'know, there's always talk here about Randy's gear or video of him, etc... Randy was all about playing the guitar and learning all he could about playing. There isn't much talk hear about how to play, so I thought it might be a nice change to get everyone to pick up their guitars to see how much improvement can be made in 6 months.

From what I've learned about Randy over the years, I think he'd be smiling. I hope you can find the time to play a little. :D
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

My secret to become a better player always been to record myself.. I dont know shit in music theory but i practiced playing what other guitarist play.. I have 3 band and i always record all of our rehearsal session and spent lot of time listening to my playing and correct what's wrong.. Alot of time, you play with your band and you think " whoa i played good" but when you listen back, it was crap!! It helped me alot,,

I have alot of record for past 10 years and listening to these old tapes, you see the improvement, its amasing listening back to that !! I could make you listen to the first time i tried to learn Mr crowley 15 years ago and how i play it today.. Or even just 3 years back and listening to today :)
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

fortress wrote: I could make you listen to the first time i tried to learn Mr crowley 15 years ago and how i play it today.. Or even just 3 years back and listening to today :)
You should! Post them up in the 'Members Music' section of the site, I'd love to hear them!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

fortress wrote:Alot of time, you play with your band and you think " whoa i played good" but when you listen back, it was crap!! It helped me alot,,

A couple years ago I got the Pro Tools M-Powered set up so I can record my playing. I play for myself, but as you say, listening back to a recording is enlightening.