This is new to me

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

This is new to me

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Listen to what Ozzy says at the 43 second mark...

There are also some videos of interest here. Click on a Quiet Riot clip and read the notes under the video while the song plays. The guy says he was a friend of Randys.
barossadude

Re: This is new to me

Post by barossadude »

Hmmmm the live footage at 43/44 seconds caught my eye. Its definately Rudy on bass on the right - but WHO is the guitar player?????
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

I seen that on vh1 a few years ago thats brad on guitar..
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Yeah I remember that too.
tone1963

Post by tone1963 »

barossadude wrote:Hmmmm the live footage at 43/44 seconds caught my eye. Its definately Rudy on bass on the right - but WHO is the guitar player?????
Isn't it that during Paranoid from the Speak of The Devil concert?
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

It always makes me cry seeing how sad and tragic the event of Friday,March,19,1982 was. It scarred me for life. 32+ years later.....the hurt feel's just like yesterday. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Only 1 person understood my pain and sadly,it was my mom just before she passed away from cancer.

Yeah,I seen this not long ago. Roughly about 2 year's back up here in Canada on MuchMusic.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Interesting that no one has mentioned what Ozzy said at the 0:43 mark: "I'm sure he was sent from somewhere else, because without Randy Rhoads I know I wouldn't be here"

And has anyone checked out the other link to the guy talking about the Quiet Riot days?

From the Tin Soldier video:
Thomas Richmond wrote:Randy was a friend of mine.
Kelly and Randy started playing together around 1971 and eventually formed Quiet Riot together after combining their talents in many other bands, including Mildred Pierce, the Katzenjammer Kids and Mammoth. When they met, Randy had already started to form his own style and by age 13 Randy was already making older guitarists "look bad" with guitar playing that far exceeded his age.

Garni lists Rhoads's major influences in those days as Glenn Buxton of Alice Cooper and Mick Ronson of David Bowie. It was then that Randy started experimenting with "weird noises" and "strange sounds" that would become part of the Rhoads sound copied by many guitarists today. This music was reminiscent of Buxton. According to Garni it was at this time when Randy created many of the trademark licks and eerie sounds found on his later albums with Quiet Riot and Ozzy. Kelly and Randy would routinely spend all week looking for a gig and then every weekend playing at a party in someone's backyard in Burbank. They hardly ever got paid for the gigs, but the music was the most important thing. Garni said of the early days, "When Randy played they all jumped to attention.... Even though it was only a backyard, he put such a good show that you felt like you were at a coliseum at a major rock gig. He knew how to dazzle an audience."

During these years Randy and Kelly became well known in the area and created a local reputation for themselves which helped launch their next band, Quiet Riot, in 1975. After years being in backyard bands they wanted something more "formal." so they auditioned for a lead singer and found Kevin DuBrow. Kevin's audition was held in the kitchen at Mrs. Rhoads's house. She remembers the day well; "Kevin saying, 'Well if you don't like me just say so and I'll leave.' Randy and Kelly said, 'Now wait a minute, there are probably some things we have to work out. Let's talk about it.' That was actually the very first day for Quiet Riot."

Kevin recalled that day in a later interview, "He was just 17 at the time; I was 18. He had hair down to his waist and a thumbnail about four inches long. I looked at him and thought, 'No way can this guy play.' But I figured what the hell, and went over to his house to hear him play through this tiny amp. He plugged in, and I thought that my head was being plastered against the wall; every lead that I could ever imagine -- he played them better than anybody I'd ever heard on record."

Randy and Garni worked with Kevin until they decided to add him to the line-up. The original band members of Quite Riot included Randy on guitar, Kelly Garni on bass, Kevin DuBrow on vocals and Chris Forsyth on Drums.
Kel

Post by Kel »

What's your take on that quote Paul? - it sounds to me kinda like Ozzy's intimating some ethereal guardianship??????? (divine intervention???? - being a pastor - i cant go that route - but I can see Ozzy hanging on to that thought -- especially after Randy died -- guilt ( not that Ozzy did anything) but everyone who loves someone who dies will experience some manifestation of guilt about the death)

so much for the sermon today.

How did you like the Ace book - and I hope you and your son liked the autograph -- did I email you the pics we took???
Verbum Domini Manet en Aeternum

Kel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Kel wrote:What's your take on that quote Paul? - it sounds to me kinda like Ozzy's intimating some ethereal guardianship??????? (divine intervention???? - being a pastor - i cant go that route - but I can see Ozzy hanging on to that thought -- especially after Randy died -- guilt ( not that Ozzy did anything) but everyone who loves someone who dies will experience some manifestation of guilt about the death)

so much for the sermon today.

I think that Ozzy does believe he was led to meet Randy through divine intervention. Because of the image he has professionally, people forget that he could be a different person privately. Even when he does interviews like this, it's the professional Ozzy speaking, not necessarily John Osbourne.

The reason I pointed the quote out in the first place is because of the number of times on this board it's been mentioned that without Randy there would be no Ozzy and possibly no one would have heard of Zakk... I found it nice to hear Ozzy himself say that.
Kel

Post by Kel »

I agree that unless Ozzy had the band he did at the time he did he most certainly would not be the "godfather" of heavy metal as he is sometimes called -

their meeting was serendipitous to be sure -- how and why they got togther and whether it had greater cosmic ramifications I do not know -- I do know that I love those albums and the music those 4 guys put together!
Verbum Domini Manet en Aeternum

Kel