Possible NEW footage read this...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Possible NEW footage read this...

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I'm a member over at the Motorhead official forum. Some fan was talking about filming bands back in the 80's. This guy pipes up and he mentions he filmed a few gigs and this was the interesting bit.

"I filmed parts of a few concerts on silent super 8. The camera I was using was one that was difficult to focus. In almost all the cases they turned out to be out of focus because of that. The only one that turned out great was Ozzy Osbourne in 1982. I was very close to the stage. I was caught filming it but I convinced the guards that the camera was electronic binoculars - and they believed me. I lent the original film to someone and never got it back. I only have a copy that I made onto VHS by filming it off the wall. It flickered like crazy because the super 8 was 24 frames per second and the VHS was 30 fps. Film was expensive so I only filmed a couple of rolls."
This could be a good lead, but i've asked the guy what gig it's from and if it is Brad Gillis or Randy on guitar. I think the guy is from Toronto Canada well he mentioned he seen Motorhead in Toronto in 1982. We'll see what he has to say...I've just checked the tour dates and if it is in 1982 it is more then likely a show with Brad Gillis...As they did a few dates in May 1982. But he may have an earlier show as he said that was the best quality show he filmed.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Re: Possible NEW footage read this...

Post by Silver Rhoads »

It's odd that most of the people mention Super 8 video without sound, but we have sound on the Diary show from the Chicago area. I'm sure there are more videos with sound collecting dust in some box somewhere. We may never see them, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. I would LOVE to see the two songs from the ET footage. It might not show that much of Randy, but it has decent sound and it's on the stage. Hopefully that will be released.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Nice, I look forward to hearing his reply.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
baconstealer1

Post by baconstealer1 »

Seems promising. It's definitely worth a shot!
Randy died because God wanted Guitar lessons
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

Plz dont tell me another Rudy head banging show...
barossadude

Post by barossadude »

Any new, unseen footage is good enough for me - no matter how quick or poor the footage is. Touch wood this turns out to be the real deal
"Rock n' Roll's universal" - Bon Scott, AC/DC
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

As i thought it is a Brad Gillis show ... This was the guys reply.

"Yes, it was with Brad Gillis...but it was unfortunately silent. I had seen the tour with Randy Rhoads the previous year so I was very excited to go. I took a tape recorder to that show and it turned out to be the second worst bootleg I ever heard because I borrowed a dictation recorder that used micro cassettes, from someone I went to school with. I also snuck in the same cheap camera that I took the Motorhead pix with, and the Super 8 camera (all of which were contraband at that time) I'm amazed I got everything in.
My expectations were really high because even though Randy was no longer there, they still needed someone who could play those songs but Ozzy was really drunk he looked bad and almost looked like he pissed his pants at one point. I was somewhat surprised that he was that drunk because when I saw him during the Blizzard of Ozz tour he looked like he wasn't drunk or was only slightly drunk. The only semi-controversial thing they did was hanging a midget. Ozzy kept bragging about all the crazy stuff he was planning to do on that tour but he really didn't do much. I cant remember the song but Brad Gillis did a really cool-sounding opening to one of the songs that sounded like a chainsaw. I'm not really sure what happened with Brad Gillis leaving the band, although I wouldn't have a hard time believing that Sharon Osbourne screwed him around... as she'd done to many others."

This just goes to prove that fans could manage to smuggle cameras and recording equipment into gigs. How many fans are not mentioning the gigs they filmed back then. This was mentioned out of total chance and on a Motorhead forum.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Silver Rhoads wrote:It's odd that most of the people mention Super 8 video without sound, but we have sound on the Diary show from the Chicago area. I'm sure there are more videos with sound collecting dust in some box somewhere. We may never see them, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. I would LOVE to see the two songs from the ET footage. It might not show that much of Randy, but it has decent sound and it's on the stage. Hopefully that will be released.
If i remember rightly when $haron O was being interviewed she mentioned that the film would need attention and i'm sure it was tracked up to an audio bootleg from the same show. Like the guy mentions here those cameras with sound cost a fortune and the sound quality wasn't great.
mikesline
Cool Member

Post by mikesline »

[quote="Silver Rhoads"]It's odd that most of the people mention Super 8 video without sound, but we have sound on the Diary show from the Chicago area.

I always thought chicago footage was vhs-looks too good to be 8mm.?
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:This just goes to prove that fans could manage to smuggle cameras and recording equipment into gigs. How many fans are not mentioning the gigs they filmed back then. This was mentioned out of total chance and on a Motorhead forum.
Absolutely! but I shudder to think of all the film that may have been given to the O's or to Randy's estate thinking that something may become of it- or perhaps believing that no one else deserved to have it, only to have it disappear forever.

That thought actually makes me very sad.

I've asked some well connected contacts about their ideas and connections in finding Rhoads live video- and how to go about finding such- and they were baffled why there isn't more available, sadly- or how to make it happen.

I watched the Festival Express on DVD- in 1970, the Dead, Big Bro/Janis Joplin, Buddy Guy, the Band, and a shit ton of other major talent took a train across Canada, stopping occasionally to play a festival and then get back to partyin hard!!!!- the technology was there in 1970- but there seems to be a huge blank over Randy's work with Ozzy!? I don't get it!

Maybe we'll receive an unexpected blessing, who knows! Maybe someone out there has access to someone else that has video of Randy w Ozzy, hopefully sooner than later.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon