Was Randy.......?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Sepheratta
Cool Member

Was Randy.......?

Post by Sepheratta »

Hey everyone, I haven't been on in a while!

Me and my mom have been bickering over Randy for some time now...... :(

My mom thinks that he was gay, but I keep telling her there was no evidence of him being gay. She watched this video and she said it looked like Randy and Kevin were "flirting". I denied it and told Kevin was just being annoying, but she insisted.

(Video :arrow: --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljeMZvj9Ds
Fast forward it to 7:07 if you do not wish to see the whole concert.)

I then told her that Randy had a fiance, Jodi Raskin, and she said that Randy was just using Jodi as a good impression because back then being gay was viewed badly.

*sigh*

Who's right? :?

I mean, now she has planted a bit of doubt in my mind.......

Was Randy gay? I hear from sources that he wasn't, but I know alot of you knew Randy personally, especially Frank. So maybe you could tell me. Just was curious.

As it stands now though, I really don't think he was gay.....but ya never know, right?
BowTie29
Cool Member

Re: Was Randy.......?

Post by BowTie29 »

Its arguable either way really. His mom said that he had lots of girlfriends but some images make it look the other way around. Honestly we'll never know and it truly does not matter what so ever. He made great music and was dedicated to his instrument and thats what mattered.
RRFan4Ever
Madman

Post by RRFan4Ever »

Sweetie, you're intelligent, driven, and obviously have excellent taste in music- but NO he wasn't gay, pretty sure that Randy was straight by the evidence of his beautiful girlfriend at the time of his death, and all the other evidence of female company that sought him out. Your mom is trying to mess with you, and she's succeeding. I sincerely doubt that they were flirting onstage, it's quite clear to me that Randy was very close to his bandmates, esp Kevin and Kelly G- and they enjoyed performing together, Randy always had a smile on his face and was into what he was doing- and they may have been mere teenagers when they accomplished 2 albums in Quiet Riot (and hell, I was nowhere near that driven, talented, or accomplished at 16- and I don't know anyone else that is/was) the smiling and performance your mother mistook for whatever the hell she was thinking (please, no offense) is evidence that those young men are doing what they love to do- rocking out.

I cringed when I read this post, sorry, but I had to respond. Poor Randy, of all the shit people could be takling about, speculating about this, ugh- makes me sad for him.
If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. John Lennon
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Ahhhh........no. Just teens having fun. They were probably flirting with the girl reporter. Wouldn't you?
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Google "70's Glam Rock" and you'll see the inspiration for Randy's look. He may have played metal guitar with Ozzy and he may have developed a love for Baroque music, but I truly believe that Randy's real love was the 70's glam movement... it's the world he grew up in. At the time of his death he was growing and changing, but his offstage attire still screams glam!

Mick Ronson and Glen Buxton were favorites of Randy's...

Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

It's mentioned in the unreleased doc that he slept with a member from The Runaways. People that knew him would tell you he wasn't. He cares if he was? Rob Halford is. Did it change the way he sang?
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

He definitely was not gay! Not that there is anything wrong with it. :lol:
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

He tagged Sharon also. Word is dude was getting it all the time when quiet riot was on Sunset.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

Feminine? Maybe. I doubt seriously that he was gay. It doesn't matter though because he was the baddest dude to ever play the guitar!
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I don't know ? after sleeping with $haron O$bourne mmmmm!!! would that not be grounds to turn you homosexual surely sex with a proper woman would be different. It would of been enough to knock the horn fron a Rhino... Randy how could you... :oops:
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

He had what by all appearences, phyically and the way he dressed, and including his demeanor (Kind and gentle nature)a personality that many would consider somewhat sissy. He definitely did not exude masculinity like Zakk Wylde does. I once read or heard Sharon say when she first met him that she thought he might be gay. I doubt he was gay, nor do I care for that matter. He is at least in my mind the one greatest rock guitarist to ever bless us with his talent. He is without a doubt my all time favorite period.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Sepheratta wrote:...My mom thinks that he was gay, but I keep telling her there was no evidence of him being gay. She watched this video and she said it looked like Randy and Kevin were "flirting". I denied it and told Kevin was just being annoying, but she insisted.
nope. mom's wrong. tell her to look up 'flamboyant' and 'effeminate' and compare the different meanings. randy was indeed flamboyant in his manner of dress. this was true even off the clock.

i'd show up at his mom's house and he'd look like he was ready to go onstage. instead, i took him to the grocery store because his car was broke down. again.

i'm reminded of a story he told me. it seems he discovered his onstage persona quite by accident. he was experimenting with some moves during the set. he was surprised to find that this drove the girls crazy. the more he moved, the more they screamed. he decided this was a good thing and he incorporated it into his act.

randy never pranced or minced about. he wasn't a dockworker or teamster but he was definitely straight arrow.

frank.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Well put frank.
Kel

Post by Kel »

thanks Frank --
Verbum Domini Manet en Aeternum

Kel
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

He tagged Sharon also
Grounds for bestiality if you ask me.

I don't view Randy in a sexual manner. He was just one hell of a guitarist who's playing, mystique and legend molded me into the musician I became. Everything else is non-essential background clutter. I'm a grown man, married and with two kids, but he was my hero growing up...regardless of his sexual orientation or state of mortality.