Do you think more Randy Rhoads pro audio exists? Yes!!!

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

No1UNo
Cool Member

Do you think more Randy Rhoads pro audio exists? Yes!!!

Post by No1UNo »

Found this doing a news scan today on our hero's 30th anniversary: An interview with Ozzy producer Kevin Churko who worked on and assembled the "Ozzy Live" CD included in the "Diary of a Madman" Legacy Edition. It's here:

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2012/ ... ars-later/

RCM: Do you know the source of that live recording? I once read that it was from Montreal’s St. Denis Theatre in July ’81.

KC: I think it was a combination of different shows. The record company supplied me with the live tracks that Epic would have transferred over to digital files. I can’t be sure.

RCM: Where have those rare unreleased live recordings been all these years?

KC: I think most of the time, something like that just gets lost (laughs). And then eventually somebody stumbles across them and says, “Hey, this is awesome!” I think at that time, they were recording a lot of those shows, so I would think that Sony or Epic had all the content somewhere and they just went down to the Ozzy cupboard and said, “What have we got? Oh, this sounds good,” so they sent it along to me.

RCM: So there are more of these live shows recorded from the Blizzard-era out there?

KC: Oh yeah, they have a lot more in the vault, and definitely more that could be gone over, mixed and released.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Re: Do you think more Randy Rhoads pro audio exists? Yes!!!

Post by Paul Wolfe »

That's very interesting... personally I think I'd rather hear the outtakes and jamming in the studio rather than more live stuff, but, who knows, maybe they have some of that in the 'Ozzy cupboard' as well.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Cool thanks.
Lespauly
Cool Member

Post by Lespauly »

Thats all cool if they will release it at a decent price
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

the best thing about all the live stuff is to hear how Randy changed up things(however,ever so slightly) on a nightly basis. that should be released like that. just like studio outtakes, it really brings out the personality. like Dee off of Tribute- no musician in his right mind today would release mistakes,outtakes,footnoise,talkback,etc.
adam_777

Post by adam_777 »

I would love to hear any and all Randy available. If no more footage is going to come about live audio is pretty amazing in my books. I loved the cd Ozzy Live and just wish I knew where all those recordings took place. Even though Randy subtly changes a few things live the intensity and mood of his playing is very different. There are some songs off Ozzy Live where he sounds pissed off and hes smoking, I prefer several of the songs off Ozzy Live to tribute and if there is a chance there are superior versions of these songs I'd love to hear them.

I don't understand why more of these old bands don't do things similar to the Rolling Stones with the live archive releases they are doing that are available for download off of their site. I mean it can't cost much to do first off all and then its a source of revenue without needing to go out and manufacture the cds for a wide release.

I very much doubt 10 live Randy shows released on cds would sell very much, But offer them for reasonably priced downloads and I bet most people would buy multiple albums if not all that was available, I know I would.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

adam_777 wrote: Even though Randy subtly changes a few things live the intensity and mood of his playing is very different. There are some songs off Ozzy Live where he sounds pissed off and hes smoking,

I don't understand why more of these old bands don't do things similar to the Rolling Stones with the live archive releases they are doing that are available for download off of their .

I think a lot of that had to do w/ how comfortable he was w/ his sound that night & how well he could hear himself. I know (was there) the Feb.21,1982 gig in Corpus Christi,tx. gig- Ozzy was total crap but Randy shined & they didn't use the big show-the stage wouldn't fit in the Memorial Coliseum.

as far as stuff like the old stones- nowdays people lipsynch. it's all a production & a show w/ teleprompters & crap. noone wants to pay for imperfection, even on the internet. it's a smokescreen- the consumer public only expects perfection 24/7 365.. as a musician I prefer a live show -warts & all. we're only human but in this or any performing industry- we're just a product.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Great news! and he would know if anyone does now!

Paul, I would love more live shows but they are pretty much the same they just have magical riffs in odd places and this makes them unique. but YES the outakes and studio fooling is very revealing because you only have to listen to Blizzard and then the 1980 live shows to see how the first band were developing ideas for how to play the tunes. IE, in revelation live Lee had started to not even play in much of it (not keeping beat fully).

Blues, as for Ozzy being crap at the corpus' show I quiet like that! because I don't think it matters, I don't love these huge rock voices and it is fake to only keep in thee good bits and re-record the bad.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

Trigger wrote:Great news! and he would know if anyone does now!

Blues, as for Ozzy being crap at the corpus' show I quiet like that! because I don't think it matters, I don't love these huge rock voices and it is fake to only keep in thee good bits and re-record the bad.
well i was 13 @ the time & it was basically my 1st show. we were upper right bleacher seats watching Randy walk around backstage while UFO were fighting & knocking down the backline. I(I'm 43 now) didn't even remember all this until reading Rudy's book). the band was pretty much on the outs by then & collecting a check. Randy wanted out but we made our way down to his front for the start & he seemed happy- I guess cause the big stage wasn't there & by my ticket # that show sold out @ around 3800,not to mention Ozzy was just out on bail for the Alamo incident the night before. yeah O zzy was crap & over the mountain & I don't know sounded like a strangled crow singing those songs.I was pissed about no backdrop because I had seen the pics in magazines but I got to meet Randy out back for about 5 minutes- and I play music 30 years later & have 4 children that do too- thanks to him.I have actually talked to Ms. Rhoads on 3 occasions between 1984 & last x-mas & it's just a blessing that Randy is still remembered & loved...He wasn't a big man but His footsteps are huge.....He'll be right up there w/ Lennon,Hendrix,& Croce anyday.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

As for outtakes and songs being worked on, rehearsals and writing sessions, Daisley has hours of the stuff, he wants to release it, but has been told NO.
camdenlp
Cool Member

Post by camdenlp »

rokket wrote:As for outtakes and songs being worked on, rehearsals and writing sessions, Daisley has hours of the stuff, he wants to release it, but has been told NO.
I wishit would just somehow get misplaced and leaked... ;)

I like listening to that kind of thing and more shows would be sweet.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

rokket wrote:As for outtakes and songs being worked on, rehearsals and writing sessions, Daisley has hours of the stuff, he wants to release it, but has been told NO.
if it was me I'd just do it & let Sharon/Satan sue me or i'd donate it to The Randy Rhoads Legacy Foundation(I have an idea here-it doesn't exist yet) and every sale or paid download would go to the RR scholarship fund.
Sharon couldn't do shit & I'm sure Mrs. Dee would approve.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

I wonder if Randy would want us to hear those albums/songs in such an unfinished state?

Knowing he was a perfectionist and of such high craft musically, I doubt it.
His mother has also said the same thing in the past - Randy wouldn't want it out there unless its perfect.
He was disappointed with Diary, and it was 'finished'.
blues_n_cues
Cool Member

Post by blues_n_cues »

shred1 wrote:I wonder if Randy would want us to hear those albums/songs in such an unfinished state?

Knowing he was a perfectionist and of such high craft musically, I doubt it.
His mother has also said the same thing in the past - Randy wouldn't want it out there unless its perfect.
He was disappointed with Diary, and it was 'finished'.
I know the feeling. I listen back to my own stuff & am never satisfied-that's all musicians I think.
but also knowing we may not be here tomorrow....
all my "heroes" - Randy,Jim Croce,Buddy Holley,Ronnie VanZandt,Ritchie Valens,Stevie Ray.. they all went down in the air...I want my stuff to be known & heard. other than my children,that's my legacy.
shred1
Madman

Post by shred1 »

Releasing 'jam tapes' would be an all-time low, in my opinion.
Respect the artist's wishes - that is what Mrs. Rhoads is trying to do.

I should add, note in the Churko interview just who 'possesses' the tapes.... the record company. Not Ozzy and Sharon.