30 years on, and I still learned something...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

dfanucci

30 years on, and I still learned something...

Post by dfanucci »

Was watching the New Mexico footage and it appears that both Randy and Rudy are running wireless. If so, I had no clue. This might explain why I also thought Randy's tone was a little bit more muddy then during the first tour. I always thought it was the castle which of course it could be....
Stiltzkin

Re: 30 years on, and I still learned something...

Post by Stiltzkin »

... or it could be because of how and with what the
show was recorded with 8)
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

From the interview with John Stixx (GFTPM) BOO tour, August 1981, LI, NY

Stixx:Do you use a wireless?
RR: I tried it once, didn't like it and haven’t tried it again since. It was a Schaffer. I’m not against it. Because I didn't like it, it was no big deal. I've never been bothered by a guitar chord. I've used them so long, I could never think, "I do need to get rid of this chord.

-Not to say he didn't change his mind for the DOAM tour.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Randy definitely has a lead on Mr Crowley....you can see it running to the side of the stage. Can't really tell with Over the Mountain though
micke1964

Post by micke1964 »

Maybe he used a wireless for the first song to get out of the portcullis (Spelling?) part of the castle in the dark then used a lead from there on in?
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Yep, no wireless. So what? Also, Randy had no programmable effects, if he wanted to change delay settings, he would have to do of it by hand (or foot) but somehow he managed. :fish:
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

He kept it real. No
smoke and mirrors. 8)
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

hansolo wrote:Yep, no wireless. So what? Also, Randy had no programmable effects, if he wanted to change delay settings, he would have to do of it by hand (or foot) but somehow he managed. :fish:
Technically yes. He also mentions on the seminar recording (or another recording) that the sound man had begun adding effects on the board during Diary. He probably would have kept his set up anyway to have control over his sound. I don't believe there are any photos of him with a wireless system. When he said he tried it once, was it for a show?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I remember someone at tk years ago talked about Randy's wireless experience. As I recall, it was during his Quiet Riot days. If my memory serves, he was running around backstage playing his guitar through the wireless setup and thought it was a cool idea, but he wasn't thrilled with his tone... so he opted to use a cable instead.