Blizzard acetates on eBay

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

clashradio
Cool Member

Blizzard acetates on eBay

Post by clashradio »

Hey all;
I keep a pretty close eye on eBay for Ozzy Randy stuff and a few weeks ago noticed some really cool stuff like the Cleveland and Montreal radio-only records and other stuff. He had listed in the description about upcoming items and he mentioned Blizzard acetates. Looks like he has Suicide Solution up right now, eBay username Nascar1262. Looks real but I've never seen any Blizzard/Diary working print stuff. He sent me pix of all of the other stuff soon to be listed. These could all be different mixes too!
rokket
Madman

Re: Blizzard acetates on eBay

Post by rokket »

Would be interesting if the Osbournes find out about the acetates, I believe they remain property of Jet Records/Ozzy Osbourne.......Unless authorised by them to be sold or given away to someone, and then that person is free to do whatever they like with them, I hope thats the case.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

This is a one sided acetate. Funny, I don't recall Suicide Solution being released as a single.

Go check with someone who was involved in the recording process at Ridge Farm, and ask about acetates produced at the Farm, before you think about buying this or any others that may come up. You might be surprised by the answers you get. It's also interesting to note that the label says, "Do Not Play"....so what use is it? The label also says "Suicide Solution" Ozzy Osbourne. Yet at this early stage the band was called "Blizzard Of Ozz".....all that aside........ I'm calling this one busted.
clashradio
Cool Member

Post by clashradio »

As far as I know, an actetate isn't related to a single. it's just to hear how the music sounds mixed down to a two track. Sort of like how regular folks like us will hear it. But excellent call on the name Blizzard of Ozz vs Ozzy Osbourne! I think you're on to something.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Hmmm...Real or not? Makes me wonder... :roll:
Mikel
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

clashradio wrote:As far as I know, an actetate isn't related to a single. it's just to hear how the music sounds mixed down to a two track. Sort of like how regular folks like us will hear it. But excellent call on the name Blizzard of Ozz vs Ozzy Osbourne! I think you're on to something.
It would be highly unusual to make an acetate of each track you were going to have on an album, unless the track was going to be a single.
A 10" acetate will have a 7" single cut on it, a 12" single or album will be cut on a 12" acetate. They are used to check for overall volume, bass, treble, mids, and any clicks, or pos, etc, before a master is cut to be sent off to the record plant for thousands to be printed from. An acetate is fragile, well, the thin layer of nitro laquer that the track is cut into is, and only good for about 5 or 6 listens before the quality starts becoming affected.

I'm sure these are real acetates, and I'm sure the song is "Suicide Solution", but is it from the time period? and genuine..??? well ............?????? I wouldn't be putting my hard earned dollars on it.

Anyone with a disc cutting lathe, or access to one, could cut you an acetate of Blizzard, Diary and every single from them.
Zabixx

not ----

Post by Zabixx »

It is not fair
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is a tremendous amount of info on acetates... I looked it up because I'd never heard of them... among other things I learned that:

cut prior to the cutting of the master disc which is used for mass production of records. Even though referred to as an "acetate", it is essentially an aluminium disc coated with a fine film of nitro-celluolose lacquer with no acetate in it at all! I can tell you right off the bat that they're nothing special to look at. They do not come in a frame. There is NO picture sleeve, and no special artwork on the record labels. Most acetates are 10" round, but the actual music record grooves are usually 7" in diameter. A 7" single is usually cut on a 10" disc, a 12" single or LP is cut onto a 12" disc. They're almost always single-sided (the other side is totally blank and shiny, with no grooves and no label).

Hope you are all enlightened.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah Paul i think Rokket's words stole it for me don't try and pinch his glory please :wink: What would you do with such an item, stuff like this is rare but some what useless. Crap to look at and you cannot play it.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

So IF these were real, the tonight acetate would also have the same fade out éh?

Or... NOT????? :)
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

Stewie wrote:So IF these were real, the tonight acetate would also have the same fade out éh?

Or... NOT????? :)
IF they were real, the tracks would be as they are to appear on the album, so yeah, same fade out.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:Yeah Paul i think Rokket's words stole it for me don't try and pinch his glory please :wink:

Hey now, you know my post was WAY better, so I'll pinch whatever I damn well please! :wink: