Rhoads Pickups

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

rhoads56
Cool Member

Re: Rhoads Pickups

Post by rhoads56 »

Stiltzkin wrote:well, for one thing, the Super Distortion was design to distort the guitarsignal to the amp in an early stage,
since most players back then were using non-master Marshalls which would only get LOUD AS HELL when
they turned it up whereas the PAFs/T-tops were merely amplifying the signal.
Thats right. The super distortion was made to get the front end of the 60-70's amps all excited, and clip them into distortion. There werent really amps with gain knobs, so the pickup would be way over powered to clip the signal and therefore get that heavy/metal sound. As the years went by, they started adding gain knobs, so high output pickups werent as necessary. Today, they are obsolete (in a way), but in this world of "more must equal better", people buy on the basis of output rather than tone.

To get more output, you have to get more windings on the bobbin. Eventually, you run out of space, so you go to a thinner wire. Thinner wire sounds "darker". Of course, over winding doesnt just change the output, but also the tone. More windings = more mids, and a drop off in the bass and treble ends. This then gets counteracted with ceramic magnets (as in the Super Distortion), which "artificially" boosts the bass and treble, but also has a stronger magnetic pull than Alnico magnets. That extra magnetic strength creates a larger magnetic field, which the string excites, creating the signal. The stronger the magnet, the louder the signal. So, comparing the Super Dist to a PAF, you have many more winds, and a stronger magnet. The adjustable pole pieces in the Super Dist are also a different alloy to the regular non adjustable poles in a PAF, and that creates a slightly dirty signal (all the components of a pickup effect the sound, some more than others). Of course, this a hugely simplified explanation of how a pickup works...
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

rhoads56 wrote:
Stiltzkin wrote:well, for one thing, the Super Distortion was design to distort the guitarsignal to the amp in an early stage,
since most players back then were using non-master Marshalls which would only get LOUD AS HELL when
they turned it up whereas the PAFs/T-tops were merely amplifying the signal.
Thats right. The super distortion was made to get the front end of the 60-70's amps all excited, and clip them into distortion. There werent really amps with gain knobs, so the pickup would be way over powered to clip the signal and therefore get that heavy/metal sound. As the years went by, they started adding gain knobs, so high output pickups werent as necessary. Today, they are obsolete (in a way), but in this world of "more must equal better", people buy on the basis of output rather than tone.

To get more output, you have to get more windings on the bobbin. Eventually, you run out of space, so you go to a thinner wire. Thinner wire sounds "darker". Of course, over winding doesnt just change the output, but also the tone. More windings = more mids, and a drop off in the bass and treble ends. This then gets counteracted with ceramic magnets (as in the Super Distortion), which "artificially" boosts the bass and treble, but also has a stronger magnetic pull than Alnico magnets. That extra magnetic strength creates a larger magnetic field, which the string excites, creating the signal. The stronger the magnet, the louder the signal. So, comparing the Super Dist to a PAF, you have many more winds, and a stronger magnet. The adjustable pole pieces in the Super Dist are also a different alloy to the regular non adjustable poles in a PAF, and that creates a slightly dirty signal (all the components of a pickup effect the sound, some more than others). Of course, this a hugely simplified explanation of how a pickup works...
Thank you '56! I went through the distortion pedal/Peavey amp/transistor practice amp thing for years - That means I played through small amps which had or I added distortion/overdrive to give you the sound/gain of an amp cranked vibrating every damn thing in the house, loudness. The gain boost + Transistor amp gave a smooth sustain at low volumes but try that at concert/jam levels and you get shite!
A lot of the greats Hendrix, Van Halen, Blackmore, Iommi, etc took tube amps (w/ slightly distorted front end/pre amp) and cranked them to 11! This was the sound. Listen to Page's live sound, he went from fuzzy Tele-tones to overdrivey LP's but getting cleaner sounding each year. In through the out door featured some very clean, stratty, country(and western) playing. It isn't in the front end with an Ibanez Tube screamer but hidden in the power amp section. That is why if you have Randy Rhoads Signature Marshall, it's not the same. Not the same.
But, I digress, we were taking about pickups. I really like Dimarzio PAF Pro's pickup's. When I started using larger tube amps properly (see above), I noticed the stock Gibson PAF's had a tendency to squeal. The DPP's did the EVH wax pot thing. To me they seemed less negative feedback squeally. And I wanted notes to be held and go into positive feedback overtone heaven! Anybody use these guys?
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

rhoads56 wrote: Thats right. The super distortion was made to get the front end of the 60-70's amps all excited, and clip them into distortion. There werent really amps with gain knobs, so the pickup would be way over powered to clip the signal and therefore get that heavy/metal sound. As the years went by, they started adding gain knobs, so high output pickups werent as necessary. Today, they are obsolete (in a way), but in this world of "more must equal better", people buy on the basis of output rather than tone.

So pickup choice would have as much to do with what type of amp you are using, as what type of sound you ultimately want to have?
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

How did Randy keep a constant live tone when switching from his lp to his v's if the pickups did different things to the amp?
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

BowTie29 wrote:How did Randy keep a constant live tone when switching from his lp to his v's if the pickups did different things to the amp?
just listen to the After Hours clips :)
there are subtle nuances, but they are there.
all in all, the amps play a bigger part of the sound
then pickups do 8)
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Stiltzkin wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:How did Randy keep a constant live tone when switching from his lp to his v's if the pickups did different things to the amp?
then pickups do 8)
also and mainly hands and playing style.....I know as a player that know matter what guitar/amp/pick ups/pedals etc I am playing through it will all sound pretty much the same because of the way I play. The under lying tone is always the same and things like pick ups and guitar wood just add subtle differences
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

Stiltzkin wrote:
then pickups do 8)

I went and listened to Suicide Solution and Crazy Train back to back from Afterhours and I can hear the little difference. The ones with the Polka V (Super D's) sounds darker and more gainy. When he plays his LP it is brighter and more crunchy. I never noticed that before
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

gotta love that LP tone :)
I prefer it even more than the PDV ;)
BowTie29
Cool Member

Post by BowTie29 »

For sure the lp tone is better, do you think if he had the lp pickups in the v it would sound the same
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i like the tone on sato and tonight...
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

BowTie29 wrote:do you think if he had the lp pickups in the v it would sound the same
it would be pretty close anyway :)
i'd say a pickup is only as good as the guitar they're put in ;)
although the LP has its fair share of mahogany as its base, the PDV is larger.
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Stiltzkin wrote:
BowTie29 wrote:do you think if he had the lp pickups in the v it would sound the same
it would be pretty close anyway :)
i'd say a pickup is only as good as the guitar they're put in ;)
although the LP has its fair share of mahogany as its base, the PDV is larger.
also the maple caps and ebony fretboard will give it loads my bite than the rosewood/mahogany V

I have just dropped a super D in my les paul....I love the extra fizz it gives it
Stiltzkin

Post by Stiltzkin »

sytharnia wrote:also the maple caps and ebony fretboard will give it loads my bite than the rosewood/mahogany V
probably, but wood characteristics isn't 100% correct though 8) ;)
the V is thinner than the LP too.
sytharnia wrote:I have just dropped a super D in my les paul....I love the extra fizz it gives it
cool :) i'm going for a more vintage-vibe myself. Putting Duncan '59s in my LP :)
sytharnia
Mass Poster

Post by sytharnia »

Stiltzkin wrote:
sytharnia wrote:I have just dropped a super D in my les paul....I love the extra fizz it gives it
cool :) i'm going for a more vintage-vibe myself. Putting Duncan '59s in my LP :)
59's are something I have never tried but must one day

I put the super D in the bridge and a super 2 in the neck...originally the super 2 sounded a bit thin but once I found the sweet spot height wise it has fattened up sounds awesome, by rolling off the treble you get the creamy neck tone and treble full on is just wicked shredness