Randy giving bass lesson...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Randy giving bass lesson...

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I was listening to this tape of Randy giving bass lessons over the course of a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knows when this lesson took place...

Some incredible playing by Randy on this, with a funky disco flair at times.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Re: Randy giving bass lesson...

Post by Axeman1956 »

Can you please share the tape with us :D

Anyway, I Don't know when it would've been. Kelly Garni claims to have been the only one that was given bass lessons by Randy. In that case, maybe around '74 or '75, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know as much of early Randy as I do later Randy lol.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Here is one segment of these lessons... Randy is playing the bass to demonstrate his ideas...

I got the lessons from http://www.randyrhoads.us/ a year or two ago... I just checked, and while it is listed in their free audio section, it's linked to www.eternalrandyrhoads.com which is no longer alive.

I'd be happy to send them to someone who could host them online.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

Axeman1956 wrote:Can you please share the tape with us :D

Anyway, I Don't know when it would've been. Kelly Garni claims to have been the only one that was given bass lessons by Randy. In that case, maybe around '74 or '75, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know as much of early Randy as I do later Randy lol.
this isn't true. randy gave bass lessons to steve van meter who was interviewed in peters doc the same day i was. i took bass lessons myself from randy for about 10 minutes, lol.

frank.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

SLAGER
Cool Member

Post by SLAGER »

loev hearing that...thanks for posting it. I now really have to wonder how much of the BASS lines Randy wrote for BOO and DOAM. I bet he had fairly complete ideas that he showed to the band - with at least the guitar and bass parts already in hhis head.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

wow... Kelly Garni was lying lol... or he just didn't know lolz..... WOw, Randy is amazing at bass.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:
Axeman1956 wrote:Kelly Garni claims to have been the only one that was given bass lessons by Randy. In that case, maybe around '74 or '75, but I'm not 100% sure.
this isn't true. randy gave bass lessons to steve van meter who was interviewed in peters doc the same day i was. i took bass lessons myself from randy for about 10 minutes, lol.

frank.
10 minutes, Frank? I had some really smart comment and just totally lost it... would've been the funniest comment ever, too :wink:

Good to see you here, sir.

Axeman1956 wrote:...or he just didn't know...
I prefer to see it like that.

That link in my earlier post is good for hearing Randy play bass, but when Steve is playing bass, Randy plays some amazing guitar over the top of it... wish I had a way for you all to hear it.
rokket
Madman

Post by rokket »

SLAGER wrote:loev hearing that...thanks for posting it. I now really have to wonder how much of the BASS lines Randy wrote for BOO and DOAM. I bet he had fairly complete ideas that he showed to the band - with at least the guitar and bass parts already in hhis head.
I'm sure they both threw ideas and suggestions at each other quite a bit, as is the nature of writing together. Even before I could play guitar, one band I was in (drumming) I use to throw ideas at the guitarist and or bassist....not in notation terms but more like...."can the part that goes up higher and higher stop, and then bring it all in after a two count..."....because it felt like thats where the music wanted to go......as for having some things already worked out....by the sounds of it, none of them did really.....not much lead up time from forming the band to actually starting to write for the first album.
Stewie
Mass Poster

Post by Stewie »

Paul Wolfe wrote:

That link in my earlier post is good for hearing Randy play bass, but when Steve is playing bass, Randy plays some amazing guitar over the top of it... wish I had a way for you all to hear it.
Paul, what kind of file do you got there? A physical tape or a mp3 file?

Mp3's are easy to share online, there are some good ad free sites but they escape my mind atm.

A tape can be converted with some hardware.
You can read this for tape to pc conversion: http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Cassett ... o-Computer
Alot of people have the cable you need lying around, maybe you have too.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

It's in mp3 format... I'll look into it and see what I can do.
Sky
Madman

Post by Sky »

SLAGER wrote:loev hearing that...thanks for posting it. I now really have to wonder how much of the BASS lines Randy wrote for BOO and DOAM. I bet he had fairly complete ideas that he showed to the band - with at least the guitar and bass parts already in hhis head.

For the record.....

'I wrote every single bass line that I ever played, no one else. End of story!' Bob Daisley.
"Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away." - Elvis Presley
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Paul Wolfe wrote:It's in mp3 format... I'll look into it and see what I can do.
If you can, try posting it in the Audio section :D Can't wait
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

What would have Randy been as a bassplayer?! More of a sort of Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris or Dennis Dunaway-type...?
Mikel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

stealaway wrote:What would have Randy been as a bassplayer?! More of a sort of Billy Sheehan, Steve Harris or Dennis Dunaway-type...?
Based on what he says during this lesson, Randy clearly understood that the bass was not a lead instrument but, rather, a foundation for the guitar to build on.