The highlight of every Ozzy/Randy show

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

axeman_12656
Mass Poster

The highlight of every Ozzy/Randy show

Post by axeman_12656 »

I know this may seem odd, but the highlight of every Ozzy and Randy show for me is Children Of The Grave and Paraniod. Is it just me? I just love hearing how his solos for those songs change from play to play. He had a general format but he never did the same solo twice. I don't know if the Children Of The Grave solo from Tribute will ever be topped. No matter what new recording pops up.

Thoughts?
Live Life Stronger Than Death
fortress
Madman

Re: The highlight of every Ozzy/Randy show

Post by fortress »

im just tired of hearing paranoid but children of the grave, its one of the song i'll check first when listening to a new boot ;) i really love to hear how he will play it
dinomite
Cool Member

Post by dinomite »

I have always loved his solo's during Paranoid. I just think they are so full of energy and no two were ever the same, he just knew so many great licks in any key and could just run with it.
GuitarJoe
Cool Member

Post by GuitarJoe »

I too love Randy's take on the classic Sab tunes. Even Iron Man, with the feedback, artificial harmonics, pick scrapes and all the other "Randy-isms". He just added a sort of energy to these songs that they didn't have before. I liked the original Sab versions, and I liked what other guitarist after Randy did with the Sab songs too. The Sabbath songs IMHO are a way for each guitarist to put their own personality on display.

And the COTG outro solo is always a highlight of the set, in part because I think he didn't really care for the Sab tunes so instead of sitting down and coming up with a "proper" solo he just improvised every night. I have the same feeling about his solo in S.A.T.O., seems very off the cuff and therefore very fresh and alive.

My fave version of COTG is from the Kalamazoo boot. Check out the flying harmonic w/ echo at the 1:00 mark, him & Tommy working in a fill together at the 1:15 mark, and I just LOVE the rhythm figure he goes into after the breakdown around the 2:16 mark. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M7be8XV4qk
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

+1 for Children of the Grave, but not for Paranoid. Songs like Paranoid and Iron Man are songs I can live without ever hearing again. I don't care if Randy's playing or not.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

AndrewT1976 wrote:+1 for Children of the Grave, but not for Paranoid. Songs like Paranoid and Iron Man are songs I can live without ever hearing again. I don't care if Randy's playing or not.
listen to paranoid on milwaukee

and for children of the grave, i love the differentt versions, my facorite solo for it is tribute, but i love how randy uses his wah in montreal(not in solo) it just sounds awesome!
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com
distortionplus
Cool Member

Post by distortionplus »

I never was a BS fan. To this day I am not. I have never owned a BS album. As a matter of fact even though I was always into harder rock in my teens I did not know who Ozzy Osbourne was. I had heard of BS, but did not know he was the lead singer.

All that being said had RR been the lead guitar player for BS I would have had a different opinion. I do like the way RR does IM, CoG, and Paraniod. For whatever reason he did not like the BS material it really fit his style perfectly. I think he really energized the BS material and for me made them much more listenable.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

I often just imagine how great Speak Of The Devil would have been with Randy. I know his heart would't have been into the songs, but he heart was always into his guitar. That album would have been AMAZING!!!
Live Life Stronger Than Death
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Randy hated doing the Sabbath stuff. He tried to get out of Talk of the devil (he didn't want to do it) and eventually died before having to record it. Could you imagine, your making this new groundbreaking music and your singer wants you to cover his old bands songs from 10 years ago in a double album. Ozzy/Sharon had no idea what was in front of them the entire time. It's so ridiculous when you think about it. I like Sabbath a lot but Randy wasn't Sabbath and you should of kept the two separate, eventually. Maybe now Ozzy could force Tony to play Crazy Train or flying high again or an entire album of Randy...
Vtrockgod

Post by Vtrockgod »

There's no doubt about how Randy felt about the Sabbath material, and he was certainly entitled to his opinion. However, the truth is that Ozzy had a tremendous legacy with Black Sabbath: he was primarily known at the time as the ex lead singer of Black Sabbath and many fans wanted to hear some Sabbath standards when Ozzy played live. If I remember correctly, Sabbath was getting ready to record and release a live album with Ronnie James Dio and the Osbourne camp certainly wanted to one-up them (there may have been an improvement on the royalties at this time as well, I believe Rudy Sarzo touched upon it in his book). We all love Randy as a guitarist, but most people were coming to see Ozzy and many wanted to hear the Sabbath songs along with his solo material.

With that being said, I thought Randy's style and the Sabbath songs complement each other like a damn good fluffernutter sandwich. I'm not a huge fan of his version of "Iron Man" but there is something about "Grave" that just resonates with me. And I love how he uses those Chuck Berry-esque bends at the beginning of the solo for "Paranoid". I would have loved to hear RR's interpretations of "Symptom of the Universe", "Snowblind", "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", etc. etc. but it was not to be.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

If his guitarsound for a particular show was great (to me then) then usually the whole show is a one big highlight to me! :P I seem to like his playing much better then.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
dasboot

Post by dasboot »

Randy may not have liked Sabbath but he rocked it. cOTG is epic an he just shreds on paranoid . Love it on the new live cd. Been said before, but wish he had lived to play Symptom of the Universe and also Dabbath Bloody Sabbath. Randy was on the cutting edge of the emerging american hard rock scene but combined with ozzys british metal made the magic of boo and doam.
"He could interpret blazing renditions of his compositions as easily as taking a breath"-Rudy Sarzo
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

AndrewT1976 wrote:+1 for Children of the Grave, but not for Paranoid. Songs like Paranoid and Iron Man are songs I can live without ever hearing again. I don't care if Randy's playing or not.
I agree i usally have to skip iron man and paranoid, but that 'unison bendish' bit in children of the grave is one of my favorite randy moments.
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

While "paranoid" has never been one of my favorites, or even one of my favorites hearing Randy on......Randy plays one of the most incredible solo's (if not the greatest he's ever played...) on the Montreal KBFH show, it's ridiculous. You talk about smokin'...you can't do much better than that.

Ozzy's delusional. He claims that thats the song fans want to hear, but i've never known ANYONE who wants to hear it. In fact, at every Ozzy show i've ever been to, when he announces, you can almost hear the "UGH....not again" moan through the crowd (just like War Pigs). Its all in his head.
I do like hearing Children of the Grave.
TheMrAxeman
Mass Poster

Post by TheMrAxeman »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:If his guitarsound for a particular show was great (to me then) then usually the whole show is a one big highlight to me! :P I seem to like his playing much better then.
+1
example is long beach for me...awesome! So is providence!
although i love montreal something about randy's pickslides on that are like nails on a chalk board to me
Wanna trade boots? email randyrhoadsboots@gmail.com