Was thinking...

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

AndrewT1976
Madman

Was thinking...

Post by AndrewT1976 »

What if Rudy or Tommy was on that plane? Do you think Ozz would have released a Ozzy/Rudy or Ozzy/Tommy Tribute album??

If it was Rudy, Lord knows we'd have PLENTY of footage to feast on! Lol. There would be articles written about how many times he licked his fingers during certain gigs. Haha!
AceVader
Cool Member

Re: Was thinking...

Post by AceVader »

No disrespect to either of them, but I think the answer is an obvious no.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Yeah, pretty much gotta agree on that! Lol.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Realistically, they all were a creative force. However, take any one of them out and both albums could still have been amazing, but take Randy out ..........

you know where Im going.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Actually, if Bob was still in the band when the plane crashed, I COULD very easily see an Ozzy/Bob Tribute album. Although "Ozzy/Bobby" sounds much better:)

If Lee was in the band at the time, I doubt he would have gotten a Tribute.
Matlike

Post by Matlike »

Tommy and Rudy were hired guns, where as Randy and Ozzy (and also Sharon) were close friends and did a lot together both creatively, professionally and personally. Randy was the special link that helped Ozzy get his career and life back on track.
Jazznroll
Madman

Post by Jazznroll »

I'd like to think people wouldve made a tommy tribute.
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

you know.... Randy Castillo drummed for Ozzy for a long time. He also played with Motley Crue amung others. He died of Cancer. You never hear his name mentioned for anything.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
metalrockx

Post by metalrockx »

I guess that Ozzy and Sharon would celebrate a plane crash of Bob & Lee everyday...

No, I don't mean this :oops:
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Lol. You are right about that! Kidding...

Imagine if it WAS Bob on that plane. Ozzy's career would have probably ended soon after as well. Unless they could have found a strong writer for BATM.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I sometimes get the impression some people think Bob wrote most of the music. This is not the case those were Randys riffs, chord progressions, ect. Alot of those were used from earlier quiet riot songs. I agree he was part of the writing but those to albums would not be what they are without Randy.
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

Agree with Geo Sav. Bob may have written most of the lyrics and I have huge respect for him, however, change the lyrics and the albums would still be amazing. Hell, Ozzy changed 'em every night LOL!
telemaster

Post by telemaster »

I was listening to the live CD today, and I was thinking what if Bob and Lee had toured the US on the BOO and Diary tours? I hate to say this (and no disrespect intended) but I kinda get why they made the change. The songs on Tribute with Bob and Lee sound kind of down and without energy, and it's the same on the boots I've heard. The shows I've heard with Rudy and Tommy seem to have more life to them, more energy I guess.

The new live version of "Flying High Again" is the best example...I really like that steady, on-the-beat bass and drums. It seems to propel the song better. That's probably the best version I've heard of that tune, in my opinion.

Bob and Lee were old-school rockers. I'd have to say from a show standpoint Rudy and Tommy were better choices, visually. Especially at the time this was going on...the Mach II Blizzard sort of set the template for how metal "looked" in the 80's.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

I definitely would put Tommy ahead of Lee. But I think Bob still would have been a better choice than Rudy. Rudy was about as cheesy as it gets. Bob was awesome. Just watch the Salt Lake City BATM footage and you'll see how much he rocked out live.

But, I definitely hear you on setting the tone for the 80's with the Rudy/Tommy lineup. Gotta remember, he shifted his rhythm section from two U.K cats to Americans. That probably brought a little less sophistication and more performance. Just two different styles I suppose.
telemaster

Post by telemaster »

I think Rudy gets a bad rap. He was picked by RR....twice!