Ozzy interview Rochester 81

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

DMRX
Mass Poster

Ozzy interview Rochester 81

Post by DMRX »

Awsome Interview from Rochester 1981,I never even heard or knew of this interview! She Mentions AfterHours & at the end she Mentioned Ozzy taping the show,I wonder if that meant the Gig was filmed too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHz921ZH ... L&index=23

ImageImage
Thanks to RR-Network
stealaway
Mass Poster

Re: Ozzy interview Rochester 81

Post by stealaway »

Nice pictures!!! :D
Mikel
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Check out the Interview is pretty Cool too
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i noticed ozzy said they were working on the 3rd album...i thought that was interesting....also it felt to me that the dj was referring to bieng filmed in rochester(after hours)we'll have you on tape at least after rochester going on to buffalo is what i got from that...i hope i got it wrong though..
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

A bit off-topic, but hence the white Marshall is again not used here. (power led is out)
To me it looks the 1959RR is based on one of Randy spare amps......
Nice photos btw!
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Looks like my buddies photos (he didn't shoot) but I have a few copies and I will try to post. There is the end arm-in arms photo. Janet Merriam is the 96WCMF interviewer. Great concert, Ozzy says, "Suck my C@ck" during Believer, which was quite unexpected. Nice commercial, "This year there wasn't a lot of snow, but there was a blizzard...and no one can hold him down." Auditorium Theatre April 29, 1981 and the interview/Afterhours was April 28, 1981. Supposedly several takes of songs... Yeah, Ozzy mentions Bark and Giants.
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

Hi everyone, I was fortunate to be at that concert at the auditorium theater that night and I wanted to share my scan of the ticket stub I still have with everybody. sharing the love! as it was an amazing show.

Thanks!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

bladeghost wrote:Hi everyone, I was fortunate to be at that concert at the auditorium theater that night and I wanted
to share my scan of the ticket stub I still have with everybody. sharing the love! as it was an amazing show.

ImageThanks!

Awesome. Where are you from Bladeghost? A friend made a scan and some covers for the CD, some years ago (I made a transfer of the show). I got the tape from him but then he got the tape from the guy that made his tape - one gen down for the CD...
Attachments
RandOzz001.JPG
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

@Hansolo, Hey man! It would be great to re-live that night, even as cold as it was that evening after the show. I was in my senior year of high school at that time and was only able to go to the show. I did buy a t-shirt from the concert that has since dissapeared many years ago. the ticket stub and t-shirt was my only memorabilia. I did learn that ozzy was at the house of guitars signing autographs earlier in the day but was unable to attend that. still the pics in the first post and your set list on the cd cover you have there is accurate to what was played that night. I lived in rochester, ny for 20 years , grew up there and went to school there, however I currently live in canada near niagara falls. It's great to see what the rest of my ticket looked like as the gatekeepers tore off too much and I was a bit displeased, yet I still have it and the memories of the show as well. I remember seeing microphones hanging from the ceiling in the theater and wondered if the show was being recorded, I hope so as it would be great to hear again if a recording exists.

as for the after hours show it was on tv like at 1:00 am or something and I did get to see that when it aired.
looking again at the song listings, the intro was of course Carmina Burana 'O Fortuna. 8)
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

As you can see here it wasn't a big place like the war memorial hockey arena yet this was a much better place for the concert, that concrete out front froze my ass waiting for my ride home.

the theater is a nice venue, it was my second time there as the first concert there I saw triumph and brownsville station opening. I can't remember who opened the show for ozzy , or if there was an opening act. but it was a great show at an intimate theater setting that I'll always remember. :D

I was at D8 on the left side balcony :mrgreen: the green area on the right side map.

Now imagine how it was that night when the lights went dim and carmina burana 'o fortuna started playing.
in this fancy theater, it was intense!
This is the only ozzy concert I've ever been to and it was with Randy Rhoads. Best concert ever!
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

I just listened to the tribute album from cleveland 1981, for the first time (yes I never listened to it after all this time) and hearing ozzy shout out "stand up!" to the crowd from the first song 'I don't know, reminded me that when the show started everyone was seated not knowing what to expect, from that point on everone was standing on their seats for the rest of the show. 8)
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

Nice...

Most of us can only imagine what that was like.
Live Life Stronger Than Death
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

everytime when you hear ozzy yell "get up" was because some would sit back down in their seats.
being in a seated theater, all filled with smoke.
When I went I went by myself and met my friends at the show and we went up to the balcony and had a great view.
about halfway through the show and this is hard to describe and was very peculiar was that for some reason ozzy was staring and singing right at me at one point and the whole audience was looking up at the balcony where I was and then all these people behind me came right up behind me and some girls put their hand on my shoulder to see who I was and as I looked back I saw it was someone I knew from high school, very strange. then they stood in front of me after that point and then I had to watch the rest of the show looking over their heads. It was a very weird feeling and quite bizzare and unexpected but that's what happened, that was something I won't ever forget. I still had a great time though. :D

If you can place your mindset in the theater in the pics I posted above and listen to the tribute album, and with the images in the first post, you'll have a good idea what it was like that evening somewhat. the only difference between the album and the concert was that paranoid was the last song played and was the encore song. I would do it all again if I could! I thought I'd share my experience and memories with everyone here as it was a very magical evening for a wednesday night.
Thanks! Rock 'em all!

BladeG
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

This is in antipication of ozzy's new movie God Bless Ozzy, which i'm sure was jack osbournes film 'wreckage of my past.
I hope more of randy gets shown and shared.
aside from that
I found this forum quite by accident, (are things really by accident in life?)
I'm glad I have as it's a beautiful forum to a terrific individual. Happy my life experienced randy on stage in the same place at the same time.
Randy's fate was a tradgety not an accident, big difference.

Best love to randy's family and friends!
and everyone that appreciates mr. randy

J
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Thanks so much for sharing Bladeghost.

Any specific memories of Randy from the show? Was the venue packed? Was it mostly Sabbath fans, or high school kids? How was the mix (sound)? Did Randy do anything really cool or interesting?