Ozzy interview Rochester 81

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

bladeghost

Re: Ozzy interview Rochester 81

Post by bladeghost »

At that time of the show, diary of a madman wasn't released until later that year (november) and nobody was familiar with any of the new songs except what was released on blizzard so when they played believer for the first time everyone listened intently to this (new) song as well as flying high again, it was a suprise to hear and well recieved. the venue was completly sold-out by showtime and a packed full house. back in those days smoking was still allowed in the building and I'd say most everybody was stoned :)
if you look carefully at the exterior of the building you can see it's not that big and from where I was in the balcony it felt like being almost right over the stage as it is quite an intimate setting and felt very close to being there on stage with the act. The pictures make it seem bigger than it actually is, the tribute album is quite close to that show as it was only maybe one or two shows after when that was recorded. (a video would have been nice).

Randys solo's and playing is very much how I remembered them from the show I attended as is on the tribute album.
but as I mentioned the last song was paranoid as the encore song. as for the ages I'd say mostly 17-30+ was in attendence
and the air was very electric. when they played sabbath tunes everybody went nuts. This was still ozzy and randy's debut shows early in the year and they were just getting started. what I appreciated the most was that the show was in a nice theater and not some hockey arena. after the show I tried to approace the stage to say hello but was turned back by the bouncers. then I just went home. but it was a very memorable evening for sure!

Revelation mother earth when they played it felt very prophetic and just awestruck. the crowd was very loving as you could feel it in the air.
I think after hours played on tv either that night or soon after the show, and I've always thought they made that after the show,later to learn it was just before it.
When they played flying high again you can be sure most were stoned by that point.
No Bone Movies was kinda mediocre as just a contemperory tune ( a filler tune I'd call it)
Goodbye to romance , yep everybody that had a lighter completly lit up the place! I know they played this because i was there and remember singing along. why it's not on the audio below, who knows...
children of the grave ,I think nobody could find their mind until 3 weeks later, very intense! as was paranoid.

check out dr.scavones pictures he posted from that show here, nice to see these!
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6287

and this too as I just found this: audio recording.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=699

the sound does sound a bit fast and would need to be adjusted to listen to properly, that can be done with audacity easily.
for now i'm off to listen to this tape and will get back with my opinion on it thanks!
Last edited by bladeghost on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

Insert goodbye to romance after mr. crowley and before flying high again and it will be alright.
I do remember it being played with everyones arms waving side to side with lighters galore and everybody singing along. wtf.
whatever, no worries, I'm just glad I could hear what is available.
AndrewT1976
Madman

Post by AndrewT1976 »

Wow! Thanks so much! I can almost see everything through your eyes! Very descriptive and cool!
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

If the date is correct then this footage is just a few days after, ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yeTvaMJ ... re=related
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

"I think after hours played on tv either that night or soon after the show, and I've always thought they made that after the show,later to learn it was just before it."

On the TV version of After Hours w/commercials and Marty Dodah, the host/interviewer saying, "When Ozzy was in town a month or so ago he came to our (31) studios and what you'll soon see and hear..." I forget the rest. A little help???
axeman_12656
Mass Poster

Post by axeman_12656 »

hansolo wrote:"
On the TV version of After Hours w/commercials and Marty Dodah, the host/interviewer saying, "When Ozzy was in town a month or so ago he came to our (31) studios and what you'll soon see and hear..." I forget the rest. A little help???
"he is still making the same kinda bone crunching rock n' roll that made him famous"
Live Life Stronger Than Death
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

axeman_12656 wrote:
hansolo wrote:"
"he is still making the same kinda bone crunching rock n' roll that made him famous"
YEAH! THE AXEMAN COMETH! Thank you, I had too many boxes to go thru...
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Axeman, I am now listening to the new live disc in your honor on a stereo! No computer or mp3...
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

I wish I went to the show. I remember hearing the commercial on the radio. I was just gonna be 13 on april 30th so couldn't take myself. I do have that audio bootleg with the ticket and pictures on it. Who did the art work for that? I was led to beleve that was not something alot of people had. I ask cause the friend of mine that made me the copy acted like I wasn't supposed to give it out.
Last edited by Geo Sav on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geo Sav
Mass Poster

Post by Geo Sav »

Wish I would have knew about them being at the HOG.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Anyone still have this interview audio? I think I had it, but lost it... Anyone?
Mikel
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

Hello everyone after all these years gone by. just browsing about I found some interesting things I'd like to share . one is a radio interview before the show on the local radio station WCMF from 1981, someone posted this on you tube, I'll post the link below, and a comment from one of the cameramen that recorded the studio performances.

here's the comments made from the cameraman post that I found on forgottenguitar.com:

Mark Phillips // - at 6:54 pm //
Just a quick correction- this was NOT shot in Ogden, NY but at the WUHF studios on East Ave. in downtown Rochester as part of the “After Hours show- simulcast in stereo on WCMF. I was a cameraman on this shoot, doing all the hand held and low angle shots. The guys in the band were all great and a pleasure to work with!

shockwave78 // - at 12:29 am //
Hi Mark, as a huge Rhoads fan I am curious if it is true that they rolled through the set of songs twice. Were they both filmed and do you know what happened to the other video of the other versions?

Did you get to meet Randy and were/are you a guitar player?

Mark Phillips // - at 4:06 am //
Hello SW78 and thank you for your interest. We may have done a couple takes on some of the songs but to be honest it was so long ago I’m not sure. My recollection is we did everything in one take! Pretty amazing these days. In any case- all the original footage before editing is long gone (to the best of my knowledge) and what you see is all there is. A lot of it was “switched live” by the director from the control room so ISO tapes would not have been kept after editing. It was very casual in the studio at the time of the taping with just a handful of people- the band and a small TV crew so we all had time to chat with Ozzy and Randy. Really nice people! Ozzy was very polite and soft spoken and Randy was just really quiet- that is until he let loose on his guitar!. To answer your last question- I’m a Bass player so pounding on a bass with your fists was a revelation for me! The whole night is something I’ll never forget and I’m glad the footage lives on!

Larry Lasher // - at 2:55 am //
I was there,all songs were done twice,with short break in between. I sat on floor leaning back on the bleachers at randy s feet. I’ll never forget that night. Randy was very nice,showed me his guitars and explained them to me as his new custom he had built.

Mark Phillips // - at 3:58 am //
Hmmm- that’s an interesting “tale” Larry, since I was there as well- as one of cameramen and editors on this shoot. I don’t recall you being there and we didn’t have any “bleachers” in our studio at that time. You couldn’t have been at Randy’s feet without getting in the way of the crew filming him. Would you care to elaborate?

I guess larry lasher must have been stoned to not know what he's talking about, but whatever, I thought it was filmed in ogden too but apperantly not. East ave. downtown makes more sense.

and the radio interview with ozzy is pretty cool as I didn't get a chance to hear this before, I'm glad someone recorded it. I hope everyone is doing well as staying safe during these weird times and keeping randy's memory alive with quit riot and oz. Happiest Cheers! everyone. Thanks. All the best always! Bladeghost Jon Ivan.

Radio Interview:
I'm glad someone re-uploaded it. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDhvBHXYoA
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

Something else I'd like to add that I remember that night was after the show while waiting for my dad to pick me up and freezing my ass off on the cement I decided to go around back of the theater just to have a look around while waiting for him ( so I didn't go Straight home) as I mentioned and to my surprise I did see their tour bus behind the building , running of course but no one was around that I could see and I did get a bit nervous after being turned back from the bouncers inside the theater and I kind of just stood there looking at the bus being an airbrush artist at that time seeing the frank frazetta silver warrior painting on the back somehow stuck out in my mind a year later as for some reason I decided to paint that mural on the hood of my car. I didn't stay long as it was cold and if my dad didn't see me out front would have probably worried. For sure that whole evening had quite an effect on me that I'll always remember. Another funny thing was around that time I had the same shoes as randy being these Italian cut off cowboy boots with side zippers light tan in color and short heel. nowadays they are no where to be seen. guess they just don't make them anymore. I did like them and they were mostly comfortable. goes to show life goes around once and to enjoy every moment you can. so to sum it up I did see their tour bus and wore the same boots as randy did back then. just some added memories I wanted to share. Thanks everyone! All the best! J
Last edited by bladeghost on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeghost

Post by bladeghost »

A few things here....I noticed someone mentioned about the believer track where oz says suck my cock to an audience member, I remember that well as when oz was introducing the new song someone in the audience gave ozzy a sour face about the title and that's why he said that. I thought a fight was about to break out. yet the show went on... and speaking of that show the audio section here on the boards for the boot recordings are all down, as I did want to hear their next gig in Syracuse NY at the landmark theater but all the downloads are down in the audio section. even this show. but fear not as I have a backup copy. and a backup of the radio interview as well, I'll post the links at the bottom of this post. One thing I do want to say is looking at the tour schedule some nights were one after another like three sometimes four days in a row. That has to be just grueling not having to preform a good show everynight but making it to the next town on time as well. God Bless them for working so hard. ...Now for the backups for download. I've uploaded them to my google drive to share and to have.

The Radio interview in .mp4

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hit9us ... sp=sharing

and the Rochester Ny Concert 1981 april 29

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pNNe ... sp=sharing

Hope the audio downloads get fixed sometime soon as I really would like to hear some of the other shows one day.
Thanks Everyone! "you can't kill rock and roll. it's here to stay!" Rock On!
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

bladeghost wrote:A few things here....I noticed someone mentioned about the believer track where oz says suck my cock to an audience member, I remember that well as when oz was introducing the new song someone in the audience gave ozzy a sour face about the title and that's why he said that. I thought a fight was about to break out. yet the show went on... and speaking of that show the audio section here on the boards for the boot recordings are all down, as I did want to hear their next gig in Syracuse NY at the landmark theater but all the downloads are down in the audio section. even this show. but fear not as I have a backup copy. and a backup of the radio interview as well, I'll post the links at the bottom of this post. One thing I do want to say is looking at the tour schedule some nights were one after another like three sometimes four days in a row. That has to be just grueling not having to preform a good show everynight but making it to the next town on time as well. God Bless them for working so hard. ...Now for the backups for download. I've uploaded them to my google drive to share and to have.

The Radio interview in .mp4

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hit9us ... sp=sharing

and the Rochester Ny Concert 1981 april 29

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5pNNe ... sp=sharing

Hope the audio downloads get fixed sometime soon as I really would like to hear some of the other shows one day.
Thanks Everyone! "you can't kill rock and roll. it's here to stay!" Rock On!
Thanks for sharing this!! I actually didnt have this show. Really enjoying it. It's pretty good quality, and of course Randy is killer as always. Is it just me or is the tape a bit fast on this one? Ozzy's voice is really high.