Randy Eclectic Style

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

fakeBlue

Randy Eclectic Style

Post by fakeBlue »

Hello there. (Hi Skezza :D )

According to a music magazine, Randy said to his mother he wanted to record a solo album. Not a hard rock/metal album though. They said it would have been a very various record, going from blues to jazz, via classical. It is easy for me to imagine Randy doing that. His guitar play sounds so rich. However I have a hard time to imagine a musician not having a 'root', or a favorite style of music. If Andy was so eclectic and Metal was not his only thing, does someone knows his favorite kind of music ?

Thanks
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Re: Randy Eclectic Style

Post by NoQuattro »

Well, I think of what he said when someone asked him who his favorite guitar player was. He simply said, "I like anyone who plays the guitar." So, with that in mind, I'd say he liked pretty much anything and everything. Very open-minded.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

from reading some of his interviews ive always felt that randy was very vague or held back his true feelings as far as talkin about it with interviewers...but thats only my feeling on that...so thats a tough question blue,but a very good one....i would like to know too!!
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

Randy Rhoads wrote:"I like anyone who plays the guitar."
If you teach guitar for a living that statement makes absolute sense. Music might be segregated by "styles" but the patterns are what make it interesting to the student. I've noticed a lot of players play licks extremely well but cannot form a improvised solo to save their life. IMO that's what playing a guitar is really all about.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

I read an interview somewhere years ago in which Randy said he wanted to do a solo album and that he wanted Jean Luc Ponty and Steve Gadd to be on it.. I think Randy would have leaned toward the fusion and progressive type stuff.

Matt
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

i think so too..hell he may have been the one michael jckson chose to do the solo on beat it!!honestly i think randy would have headed a chamber orchestra or a full on 50 piece ensemble alternating between the classical guitar and electric...who knows.......
fakeBlue

Post by fakeBlue »

Thanks a lot guys :)
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

hey Fake,
welcome to the site, good to see another JakeELee.com member over here, we do have a few (dean, stilt etc :) )
Good post as well, I could see Randy doing a jazz album. It would be some kind of progressive jazz rock possibly? It's pretty well known that Randy was bored with heavy metal.