New Randy Rhoads monthly guitar column

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

HuntsAnnexStudios

New Randy Rhoads monthly guitar column

Post by HuntsAnnexStudios »

Hi Guys,

The premier issue of Troy Stetina's digital guitar lesson magazine went out today to all who signed up to get it. Although there are other lesson/aritcles from the other instructors like Micheal Angelo Batio and Mark Tremonti, but my monthly column will be strictly based on playing/teaching examples which are referenced to Randy's style of guitar playing (Big surprise LOL!).

For this month I covered the Diminished/Blues Hybrid sound presented in Randy's style (think DOAM solo).

Anyway, for those of you who play, and want to get the magazine for free via PDF, just go to http://www.stetina.com and sign-up.

And please, let me know how I am doing, as I try so hard to keep the spirit of Randy alive through my teaching.

(and Matt, I would really appreciate your PM'd feedback pal).

Best Always,
Jimmy
Best Deals on Jackson Guitars to UR MEMBERS [url]www.HuntsMusic.com[/url]

RANDY RHOADS-style guitar lessons with Jimmy Kane, details at [url]http://www.huntsmusic.com/WEBCAM-LESSONS.html[/url]
26bond

Re: New Randy Rhoads monthly guitar column

Post by 26bond »

Morning Jimmy! All signed up! 8)
Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

This is awesome Jimmy!!! Thanks so much much for sharing this!! I can't believe it's free, there's WAY more to this than a typical newsletter! I'd say it's more valuable than $7 issue of Guitar Player. This is quite the ensemble of great teachers! I have some of Troy's books, and I think they're some of the best guitar books available.

I really enjoyed the in-depth breakdowns of the theory and technique behind Randy's playing that you had graciously provided on the Metal Method forum once in awhile, and I meant to suggest, rather strongly encourage, you to write a book on the subject. I think it would be a phenomenal book, and you'd certainly be the man for the job!
Ric

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

I bought one of his books years ago. It is simply phenomenal. I highly recommend it.

To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
26bond

Post by 26bond »

I signed up and clicked the confirmation link in the email...but no E-zine yet???
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Very nice! Signed up and going!!! :P
Mikel
HuntsAnnexStudios

Bond - the OCT issue was already sent out to subscribers on the 1st, so just download OCT directly from the site, the NOV will come to you via email automatically next month, if you got the confirmation email.

Whipper - Thank you for the words of support and encouragement. Concerning the Randy Rhoads style book/CD, I will be writing that project for the Stetina Series (Troy will edit) right after Ken Vogel and I finish writing the companion Drum & Bass method books for Troy's metal guitar series, which is the current project Troy has us on.

So stay please tuned for that, as in a method book situation, I'll have even more room to expand and explain on Randy's approach and application, taking the teaching way beyond the typical "here are the Randy style licks" type book which has been done many times already; and even deeper than the MM posts you kindly mentioned.

Troy and I decided we want the ultimate goal of the Rhoads style book/CD to be a way for guitar playing Randy fans to ultimately find their own original voice in Randy's style; and not just play his work, and it will be our tribute to what Randy's music has meant to both of us personally, and as music teachers.

In the meantime, I really hope you will enjoy the monthly column.

Again, thanks again for the kind words of support. - Jimmy

RANDY RHOADS-style guitar lessons with Jimmy Kane, details at [url]http://www.huntsmusic.com/WEBCAM-LESSONS.html[/url]
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Hi Jimmy

It looks top notch! I think it is great how you are tapping into understanding Randy's style but not copying it; ie by showing how to be yourself with it. SO MANY guitarist (especially RR nutcases LOL) miss the point of that. Hats off to you Jimmy mate.

I love what Troy says about inspiration vs discipline

"Years ago, someone said to me, "I wish I had your discipline, to sit there and practice so much. I’d love to be able to play guitar like that, but I just don’t have that kind of discipline." I was surprised, because I didn’t see it in terms of discipline. I wasn’t forcing myself to practice. There wasn’t anything else I wanted to do more at those particular times. So it was enthusiasm coming from inspiration that drove me. It was the carrot, and not the stick. And I’ll guarantee you, inspiration will beat discipline hands down, every time. Inspiration is the great motivator."

Wise words!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
rice_pudding
Mass Poster

Post by rice_pudding »

RR-ElectricAngel wrote:I bought one of his books years ago. It is simply phenomenal. I highly recommend it.

If i had a bible, it would be speed mechanics!

Rob
www.rstorey.co.uk
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

I signed up for it.
HuntsAnnexStudios

Hey Matt!,

Thank you so much, I have been waiting to hear what you thought of the RR article. You know it is funny how many times I though of you while writting the first one (hmmm,.. wonder what Matt will think of this,.. hmmmm,... I hope Matt likes the way I tried to say that,...funny, the stuff that runs through your head when writing LOL!)

Honest opinions from highly respected friends in the music world are hard to come by,... too many "yes men" around me, you know. So, a "thumbs up" coming from you really let's me know I am on the right track with the material teaching-wise, while doing my best to honor Randy in my own way;as both a fan and a teacher.

Thank for the feedback Matt, and thanks again to everyone who subscribed - Jimmy

Whipper
Cool Member

Post by Whipper »

I'm thrilled to hear you have such a book in the works Jimmy! That's a book that has been desperately needed for such a long time now! Now I can't wait !!! I just hope you're not teasing us like Peter with his documentary. :lol:

Troy's strategy with the free newsletter is working, because I ordered Jamie Andreas' "The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar" yesterday, and I plan on ordering books and videos from some of the other featured instructors. :mrgreen:
Ric

26bond

Post by 26bond »

[quote="HuntsAnnexStudios"]Bond - the OCT issue was already sent out to subscribers on the 1st, so just download OCT directly from the site, the NOV will come to you via email automatically next month, if you got the confirmation email.

Cheers Jimmy! I have looked at the site, but its unclear where the Oct issue is to download it? :?
HuntsAnnexStudios

BOND - You could try singing up again and see if it doesn't take you directly to the download page. Also try checking your spam file. If that doesn't direct you, you could write the webmaster, as I am so computer illiterate, it isn't funny.

Right now kathy & I are in Florida, ,...about 45 minutes from the accident site in Leesburg,... everytime we come to FL, I wrestle with making the trip over there,... I have such mixed feel9ings everytime I see the highway sign for Leesburg,... really a tough call.

Here is an idea for the forum, you know how the highways have this "adopt a highwy" sign? How about doing one of those for the strech of Highwy in Leesburg, near the location of Flying Baron accident site, to make it a memorial and historical site marker in Randy's name and memory. I don't know much about these highway programs, but I imagine there is an annual maintainance free for keeping that section of the highway free of litter. This might be an easy way to honor Randy without the costs or problems associated with producing movies,... and the forum members could do it just through member support alone.

What do you guys think of that?

RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

If I remember correctly, it's private property. It would need to be a location that lies just beyond Flying Baron Estates.
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...