RR Custom Gibson Reproduction Release

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

wareagle
Mass Poster

Re: RR Custom Gibson Reproduction Release

Post by wareagle »

Yeah yeah, just another way to make a 3000$ custom to a 5000$ custom. As much as i love randy i hate the ripping off done by gibson's "signature" models. Just buy a regular custom in white... Randy's was litterally all stock. unless you wanna pay that for an engraved pick guard... I think its cool that theyre doing it... if they charged the same for it.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

wareagle wrote:Yeah yeah, just another way to make a 3000$ custom to a 5000$ custom. As much as i love randy i hate the ripping off done by gibson's "signature" models. Just buy a regular custom in white... Randy's was litterally all stock. unless you wanna pay that for an engraved pick guard... I think its cool that theyre doing it... if they charged the same for it.
Yea. If it's over 3.5k, I'm gunna have to pass. :cry: I would love to own one, but 3.5k is a shit load of money. :cry: I'll probably get his Les Paul Custom in White, which is only 1.3k. :D Same sound, different colour, and way cheaper! :D
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

wareagle wrote:Yeah yeah, just another way to make a 3000$ custom to a 5000$ custom. As much as i love randy i hate the ripping off done by gibson's "signature" models. Just buy a regular custom in white... Randy's was litterally all stock. unless you wanna pay that for an engraved pick guard... I think its cool that theyre doing it... if they charged the same for it.
You've hit the nail right on the head ! , also I don't like that whole idea of a less than stellar guitar player hackin' away on a "signature" model .... If I see a guy playing on a white LPC , I'll think , " hey that's cool , I wonder if he's into Rhoads or whatever ?" , but if I see a dude playing on a way expensive artist signature model and he's less than awesome , i'll think " what a wannabe wanker " LOL
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

Ritchie wrote:
You've hit the nail right on the head ! , also I don't like that whole idea of a less than stellar guitar player hackin' away on a "signature" model .... If I see a guy playing on a white LPC , I'll think , " hey that's cool , I wonder if he's into Rhoads or whatever ?" , but if I see a dude playing on a way expensive artist signature model and he's less than awesome , i'll think " what a wannabe wanker " LOL
Yea. Gibson already charges 5k+ on most of its guitars. Yea their nice, but not 5k nice!!! The thing that gives the guitars their price on that site is "Signature Custom" :roll: . Hopefully the price isn't as bad as we expect... :mrgreen:
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

So does the quote ' you get what you've paid for' work with these high class Gibson limited editions. I know people talk about sound and tone in a guitar and older models mature a great sound over time. But would a bog standard cheap guitar with relative good hardware on it play as good as one of these ?. I know the action and setting up of a guitar is all to the individual but buying one of these off the rack, compared to a cheap Japanese strat ?.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:So does the quote ' you get what you've paid for' work with these high class Gibson limited editions. I know people talk about sound and tone in a guitar and older models mature a great sound over time. But would a bog standard cheap guitar with relative good hardware on it play as good as one of these ?. I know the action and setting up of a guitar is all to the individual but buying one of these off the rack, compared to a cheap Japanese strat ?.

no, you get what you paid for in my opinion if you buy one used off a custom shop. Esepcially off the rack on a gibson non custom shop it can be good or bad, ive seen amazing ones, and seen ones that need fret jobs off the shelf... But when you charge up to 2k more for a slightly better paint job, slightly different radius, slightly different knobs, tuners, and slight things it gets rediculous. Honestly i wouldnt buy a signature unless im playing in a cover band of them. Just not worth it, id rather have my own sig model :)

My favorite gibsons that i can generally trust are the historics. As long as you buy them used and theyre not abused and its not lie the '59 ri which i think is rediculously expensive then its worth it. I love my '68 ri, and my teacher has a '61 ri sg that you wouldnt believe.
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

wareagle wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:So does the quote ' you get what you've paid for' work with these high class Gibson limited editions. I know people talk about sound and tone in a guitar and older models mature a great sound over time. But would a bog standard cheap guitar with relative good hardware on it play as good as one of these ?. I know the action and setting up of a guitar is all to the individual but buying one of these off the rack, compared to a cheap Japanese strat ?.

no, you get what you paid for in my opinion if you buy one used off a custom shop. Esepcially off the rack on a gibson non custom shop it can be good or bad, ive seen amazing ones, and seen ones that need fret jobs off the shelf... But when you charge up to 2k more for a slightly better paint job, slightly different radius, slightly different knobs, tuners, and slight things it gets rediculous. Honestly i wouldnt buy a signature unless im playing in a cover band of them. Just not worth it, id rather have my own sig model :)

My favorite gibsons that i can generally trust are the historics. As long as you buy them used and theyre not abused and its not lie the '59 ri which i think is rediculously expensive then its worth it. I love my '68 ri, and my teacher has a '61 ri sg that you wouldnt believe.
Yea lol. That's probably why their gunna charge 5k for it. All the slight changes to the looks of it. :lol:
AceVader
Cool Member

Post by AceVader »

I wonder what's behind this? Marshall couldnt sell it's 1959 RRs. As much as I love Rhoads, I dont think these will sell. There arent THAT many people out there that would pay that kind of money for this guitar.
matt21

Post by matt21 »

Side note, they gave the picture credit to Zlozower, but really it was Jay Banbury :P and they even spelt that wrong
chasmcneal

Post by chasmcneal »

with gibsons i feel like you are typically paying around a grand markup for the logo to read 'gibson.' its worse with the signature models, because now you have to pay the 'gibson' markup, the 'custom shop' markup, and the 'zakk wylde' markup.

most production gibsons aren't appreciably 'better' (there's always an element of subjective 'feel' when it comes to selecting a guitar) than epiphone elitist series guitars. better pots, slightly higher grade wood... once upon a time, a better finish, though these days gibson's quality control is a little hit and miss. mostly, though, minor improvements, that don't scale well with the increased cost.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

matt21 wrote:Side note, they gave the picture credit to Zlozower, but really it was Jay Banbury :P
Im not sure what that means... hah

Yeah marshalls no better then gibson if not worse. They do these insane sig models and charge shitloads for it. The only difference is marshall also makes low end crap such as the mg. They can still pump out a good amp like some of the ri's but nothing is like the original. Gibson and marshall are classic cases of where money is more then reputation. However, nothing beats a gibson marshall combo :)

I guess what im saying is dont waste money one sig models... Even if its randy rhoads. he literally had a completely stock guitar. completely. No reason to charge more then regular overpriced value.

And at that... im kinda excited to see it! hah
Axeman1956
Mass Poster

Post by Axeman1956 »

AceVader wrote:I wonder what's behind this? Marshall couldnt sell it's 1959 RRs. As much as I love Rhoads, I dont think these will sell. There arent THAT many people out there that would pay that kind of money for this guitar.
The only reason that these guitars won't sell is because of their high prices lol.
matt21

Post by matt21 »

wareagle wrote:
matt21 wrote:Side note, they gave the picture credit to Zlozower, but really it was Jay Banbury :P
Im not sure what that means... hah
On the link, that picture was shot by Jay not Zloz. It doesnt matter, just pointing it out 8)
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

AWSOME!!!!!!,Although I dont see myself ever being able to afford a guitar like this in the near future,but I am assuming that the Rhoads Family has known & Delores gave the OK a while back Because if You'll remember They said that 2010 was going to Be a VERY BIG YEAR for RR & w/this,the Relic Concord,the 30th Anniversary & Pro-Video,Kellys Book & Possibably the DOC,this IS SOME YEAR for RANDY RHOADS!!! Oh yeah & the RR MXR