Randy's classical guitar

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Re: Randy's classical guitar

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Great to see you here at UR David and thank you for your answer.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
David Denson

Post by David Denson »

Thanks for the info David. At least we know you didn't make Randy's classical guitar. We have gotten some good bits of stuff from this thread, thanks everybody!
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Did anybody read the sign under Randy's white Jackson? It says it came with a Floyd Rose (did Randy own one with a Floyd?) and that he never used it on stage. I have a Chicago '82 where he plays it on OTM...
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

What sign???

Randy's guitars did not have a Floyd Rose on them. Why he didn't like them, I don't know. (They WERE around back then, but he didn't seem to like them) The guitars that did have tremolos, were just standard "strat" style tremolo units. He was going to get one with a Kahler on it, but he never got it... For obvious reasons.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

I am not sure Shaun, this link about the history of the tremolo says the floyd as we know it came about in 82. I am not up on these things a tall and just googled this, but what do you reckon?

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts6.htm

Cheers

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

EVH used a Floyd, and Randy talked about the Floyd before in an interview or two. He said he was going to get a tremolo with a Kahler (It wasn't called the Kahler at the time, it was something new Grover Jackson was working on. I think it was going to eventually be the Kahler, but I'm not 100% sure. I know it was something like the Floyd Rose though.)

Oh, and from Wikipedia:

"On January 3, 1977, Rose filed his first US patent application, which was issued almost 3 years later on October 23, 1979.

Around that time, Rose made the acquaintance of emerging guitar virtuoso Eddie Van Halen, who also liked the design of the new tremolo and was an early endorser and promoter for it. Between 1978 and 1980, the Floyd Rose became the tremolo of choice for such guitarists as Brad Gillis and Steve Vai.[2]

Around 1982, Rose cemented an agreement with Kramer Guitars, whereby Kramer became the exclusive distributor of Floyd Rose Locking Tremolos, even those that were not yet attached to guitars.[3] The agreement stipulated that Rose would be paid a royalty for every unit sold. Kramer saw great potential in the new double-locking tremolo, and following the endorsement of Eddie Van Halen, they dropped the earlier Rockinger Tremolo in favor of the new Floyd Rose Locking Tremolo between June 1982 and January 1983.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Rose

I know Wikipedia's not THE most believable source, but something like the history of the Floyd Rose wouldn't really be messed with. I could be wrong, but it's awfully believable.
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

we need one of the senior members (old gits :) ) to help
tekker

Post by tekker »

In the seminar Randy talked about Floyd Rose, but said Grover Jackson had a tremolo that allowed ball bearings (on Randys then new forthcoming Jackson prototype), the tremolo he was talking about was assumed the Kahler tremolo.
zachrockafellow

Post by zachrockafellow »

I visited Musonia about a week ago and according to Kelle, all of randys guitars have been stored in the vault with all of his other gear (including his classical, his black les paul, sg custom and any other guitar that he has ever owned). I was also interested to hear him say that that's where his guitars have always been (i remember seeing something about his polka dot v being on display somewhere... I guess it was a copy).
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

No Thats REAL,(the polka dot is here in Cleveland at the Rock Hall for the 2nd time since it opened in 95-the Florida HardRock has a Fake Concord) but hadnt Kelle told you that even He wasnt sure of the location & I believe he said that there was more than one location that Delorus had them in Secure temperature climate controlled places.That is interesting that all his Other guitars are there too!!