HOLY SHIT!!!!.....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

cableguyxx wrote:
Shockwave wrote:
cableguyxx wrote:is it at least from the japanese laser disc, or is it the same chopped up version from Brazil?
whats the difference, im checking it out this morning also, downloaded last night. Great to see though, have not watched it in years, nice to see how everything was again except for Randy.

Weird seeing Gillis wearing Randy's vest though :(
I think it's the inbetween songs that was cut out of the Brazilian version. The Japanese Laser Disc was the full show I believe.
ya its cut out between :(

I dont think the osbournes are aware of this release? Theres no way they would allow it
dmnjr
Cool Member

Post by dmnjr »

Let's make them aware!! Just for pissing us off and getting our hopes up!! I thought Sharon was getting old-school on us with the 'Blizzard of Oz' presents title...what a downer. I"m not as depressed now that I know it's not the footage the Osbournes are referring to.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

I feel if this was the 'holy grail' then Randy's name would be on the cover for sure.
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
laurichmusic

Post by laurichmusic »

Here's a link that gives a little more info.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... tyle=movie
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

At the bottom it says the ozzys 1st live dvd with brad gillas who replaced Randy Rhoads.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

What an insult. Nobody should buy this crap! I can't believe they would put this out now, for pete's sake. The laserdisc version is a more whole (not chopped like the Argentina dvd) without the cut but is 3 - sided. Ozzy edited his vocals. Anyone have the MTV version? I can't believe a year when fans are waiting for Randy Docs and new footage that this gets brought out now. Someone aught to be ashamed... :oops:
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I understand the dissapointment eveyone feels about this show being pushed out now but I like this show and I remember spendin m,any happy hours as a teenager watching this with freinds, Brad is underated and its not fare that he has been so insulted over the years by so many people just because he filled Randy's shoes.
he didn't try to emulate Randy he did it his own way and we have to thank him for doing what he could to hold an amazing band together.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

+1, Trigg...I thought Brad did a damn fine job. I liked what he did on this video, what he did on the SOTD album and what he went on to do in NR.
Some folks have this weird prejudice because it's not Randy.
I would be happy to get this if it was the full unedited deal to replace my chopped version.
It is very cool to see the Diary stage and lineup and hear them as well.
Brad will always be class in my book, for whatever that is worth.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

It seems w/all the excitment about this new RR footage,someone is repackaging the SOTD show to bank on false advertising like The re-recordings.It IS NOT on Ozzys label hense,its not official. :?

Brad was great for what he did,it would be unimaginable to replace Randy immediatly after his death w/all the hype he was gaining and such.
And Randys use of scales & technique was way beyond what everyone else was doing at the time.
So w/that in mind he did very well but wasnt Randy.
SOTD was pretty good but he is a bit trigger happy w/the whammy bar.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Props to brad for doing it, but it sucks completly. The tone is horrible, the stage moves just seem so acted out and fake like he was actually trying to act cool in 4th grade or something. His solos were just complete wanging but what can you expect from the amount od time he had to learn to play them by ear.

This ain't a post to bash him, this is just giving opinion on him playing the songs. There was just no power behind his playing at all it seems.
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

I was fooled to for a second thinking it may be a show w/Randy but its definitely the Brad Gillis show. This show's been circulating for years.

I agree with the previous post. Brad's weak guitar tone on this is one of the worst guitar sounds in existence, it DREADFUL, really bad.
And his stage moves/presence are equally as bad, he honestly looks like a 4th grader out there playing "air guitar". Its night and day watching the really badass Jake E Lee on the following '84 Bark at the Moon tour.

Also in agreement that i'm sure that this release in not condoned at all by the Osbourne camp.
Hopefully Ozzy will follow on his promise and release some of the Randy footage they 'supposedly' have. It will probably only amount to a few minutes of "bonus" material or something.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

As it is said: The show must go on...
I try to look at it this way:
Brad suddenly went from playing the club circuit in CA, to playing with an international act that had become a huge ticket.
Though I'm sure they were grateful for Brad's help, these guys were still grieving, more than likely wishing he were someone else. Not in a hostile way, but at that point, most of the band were just trying to fulfill the dates for the tour and thinking about moving on.
From what I understand, the fans weren't very receptive to Brad...and that's how it was for him, gig after gig.
Trying to imagine what the atmosphere was like backstage or travelling.
This show wasn't even two months after Randy's passing, plus it's going to be filmed for a national television broadcast, in front of his home town crowd, (more or less).
That's an awful lot of pressure for the new guy to handle.
Say what you like about Brad, everyone is entitled to, of course, but if I were in his shoes, I'd be suffering from ulcers for sure.
It was supposed to be Randy on that stage, but it wasn't...it is what it is, and in the long run, better than a stick in the eye!
Jake did have the pressure of taking part in the recording of the follow-up to DOAM, but he had much more time on the stage & in the studio, to gel with the other band members. By the time the MTV BATM concert rolled around, he had his own Ozzy material to play, as well as having time to learn Randy's stuff. A much more comfortable position than Brad.
Nobody else at the time wanted the gig. An excellent opportunity for Brad, but I'm sure there was more than one occasion where he may have regretted his decision.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Any way you slice it, it's still way better than Marq Torien. Heh.
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Jake was badass on the Bark tour, but by '86's Ultimate Sin tour, Jake was wanking it quit a bit too(although wammy less), and that thin tone he had was equally annoying. His Suicide solo spot was eh. About as exciting as watching a safe N' sain fireworks display. Different people hear different things.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

I still love and respect Jake E Lee's playing. I like what he did with Ozzy and I love the Badlands material. I was having a hard time finding his solo, A Fine Pink Mist on CD, so I managed to get the mp3 version. The first song Exithouse is clearly Jake's style and very catchy. It's like a Satriani-type of album. He doesn't play just one style and I like that about him as well. Kudos Jake!

As for Jake with Ozzy, I think he was just getting disappointed by the whole thing and just didn't have his heart in it by the end. He was on fire for Bark at the Moon. He said he never received credit for the writing. Sounds familiar. Sorry to go off topic.