So maybe the DVD is the Capital Theater show...........

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Remedylane
Cool Member

So maybe the DVD is the Capital Theater show...........

Post by Remedylane »

Had an interesting conversation today.. On another music bored I frequent I was talking about Randy bootlegs and one of the guys sent me a PM saying he collected bootlegs of shows he had personally attended and asked if I had the 4/24/81 show at the Capital Theater. I told him no, but told him of the new footage that Ozzy was releasing and how it could be the Capital Theater show.. So of course since he was there, I asked him if there were cameras.. Here is his response..

"Well this is what I can tell you.

I used to go to the Capital Theater on a weekly basis! I had seen maybe 20-25 shows there. They always had screens above the stage as they had some cameras filming and then reflecting on the screens. So All I can confirm was there were video cameras for that purpose, whether they filmed to video is something I dont know.

Hope that helps and adds to the excitement! LOL!"

I find it exciting having this confirmed by someone who was actully at that show and remembers.. He said he was in the sixth row on Rudys side.. BTW hes a very well respected member on that forum as well.. I have another PM out to him asking if the video on the screens appeared to be multi cameras and if it was in color or B&W. Ill keep everyone posted..

Matt
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thnx!
From what I hear from you now and also Wyldeone it's very unlikely that this show was not filmed. Only one question left: where is the tape? :wink:

(I say this because they would film anyways and I don't think the O's deliberately destroyed the tape after it was handed to them)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

I don't believe that the O's would destroy the video, I do think though that they would view it and that done it would join all Ozzy's other video.
We know that they recorded those early shows on cassette and played them following the show to see how they performed and what lessons could be learned.
We have even heard a couple of these tapes because they made it into trading circles, lots more Randy is out there and the floodgates might be opening right now.
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

A stupid observation just occured to me when Trigg mentioned the band reviewing the audio after the show.
Wouldn't you think just once Sharon would have videotaped the band in full dress, on the stage before the Diary tour commenced, just so they could see how the would look to the audience?
Rudy had spoke in his book of all of them seeing the castle stage for the first time, working out the sound problems, etc...not one soul in the Ozzy camp had a super 8 rolling?
Just seems kind of odd you would set forth such a huge production and not want to document it :?
If not for sentimental purposes, for historical value. Even then Sharon had to know how big both Ozzy and Randy were becoming.
All one has to do is look at the pics from Port Vale, there were sparks coming off those guys that day!
T.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

I'm sure they have tons of backstage stuff along with on the tour bus. I still think they had to have filmed that dress rehearsal they did in 1980 I think it was? Can't remember but it was definetley early on in the blizzard tour and I think it wa the uk. I believe Randy was wearing trousers and a white shirt. Would look up the pictures but I am posting from my phone as usual
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

MTV filmed Randy receiving his 'Best New Talent' award in San Francisco, the city for the first date of the 'Diary' tour. At least some of that footage appears to have been taken inside the Cow Palace. So, for there to be no video of that concert, MTV must have just packed up and left a few hours before the show began. Seems unlikely.
The Flying Dutchman

whoopiecat wrote:A stupid observation just occured to me when Trigg mentioned the band reviewing the audio after the show.
Wouldn't you think just once Sharon would have videotaped the band in full dress, on the stage before the Diary tour commenced, just so they could see how the would look to the audience?
Well, if they even filmed stuff like this.....: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45myvATKuqA

Of course they wouldn't film some recording sessions, rehearsals, gigs etc. No way! :wink:
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

The Ozzy 'insiders' would certainly take a camcorder along to a birthday party, but of course, none of them would even bother to film a concert that they were staging :lol: I mean, why would they? :wink:
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Gosh! Talk about a momentary lapse there...what was I thinking? Thank goodness you folks were here to bring me back to my senses! :wink:
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
The Flying Dutchman

Exactly, I think we can all agree now: "nothing was filmed" :lol:
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Man They had to tape,even if its B&W im stoked.I watched a clip of the Clash there abot 6 months earlier in 1980
and if its anywhere near that we are gonna be Spoiled!! 3 cameras great mix from the board!AWSOME
wyldeone
Cool Member

Post by wyldeone »

Remedylane,
Ask your friend about the tv moniters at the bar area At the capitol
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

whoopiecat wrote:A stupid observation just occured to me when Trigg mentioned the band reviewing the audio after the show.
Rudy had spoke in his book of all of them seeing the castle stage for the first time, working out the sound problems, etc...not one soul in the Ozzy camp had a super 8 rolling?
Just seems kind of odd you would set forth such a huge production and not want to document it :?
If not for sentimental purposes, for historical value. Even then Sharon had to know how big both Ozzy and Randy were becoming.
All one has to do is look at the pics from Port Vale, there were sparks coming off those guys that day!
T.
Well the show did end up on film but sadly without RR. So if Randy had still been with us it would of been him on stage instead of Brad Gillis. I think money was a big issue and it was costing a small fortune to do the tour. This is a question from an Ozzy interview from September 1982

Q: are you making money on this tour ?
A: "No, very little. The initial layout was over a million dollars and it costs 100,000 dollars a week to keep the show on the road. The next tour won't cost as much but it'll still be as efficient .."

As far as super 8 footage i think that is very possible but with it being more of a privately filmed thing i.e if $haron had any footage it would be kept for her eyes only. A bit like a family photo album which is where alot of RR photos have came from and been published in her/Ozzy books etc.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Good points, Shaun....just a goofy, desperate thought rolling around in my skull :wink:
...and yeah, that was a one hell of a production. Aside from Kiss, I don't think anyone else in the hard rock/ metal community had one going of that magnitude...unless of course you want to count Sabbath's ginormous Stonhenge :lol:

T.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

whoopiecat wrote:unless of course you want to count Sabbath's ginormous Stonehenge :lol:

T.
Yeah that was a Spinal Tap moment i read about in Don Ardens book. They made the Henge pillars/arches life size and they couldn't fit them all on stage ...I've seen a few photos from the gigs and they are massive. I bet Don Arden didn't find it funny when he picked up the bill ...