Updated-Ultimate Rhoads Interview questions for Lee Kerslake

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Updated-Ultimate Rhoads Interview questions for Lee Kerslake

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Dear Black Pearl members

Lee Kerslake, legendary drummer, and co writer/producer of the the monumental first two Ozzy albums, has agreed for a Q and A session with Ultimaterhoads.

A very special thank you to Ritchie Hayden for putting me in contact with Lee. Cheers you are a mate!,
I have organised with Lee, to run this from now until Friday the 24th of July, so lets be hearing some great questions.

cheers, and another UR exclusive! :)

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
Ritchie
Mass Poster

Post by Ritchie »

Thanks Matt , let the questions begin .
................................................................Image...............................................................................
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

To start the ball rolling

question 1,

Lee thank you for your time in answering these questions. You have spoken before about the chemistry between yourself, Randy and Bob as instrumentalists. In what ways did you feed of each other musically in a recording situation?
Did the songs evolve as a result of that chemistry and the continual playing with one another?

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Hi Lee Thanks for taking the time out to do this interview for Ultimaterhoads its a great opportunity for us.

My first question is, While touring with Ozzy back in 1980 with the Blizzard UK tour. I went to one of the shows (Newcastle City Hall) and the atmosphere was wild and you could see that you and the rest of the band had a great time up on stage. How would you rate that time in your drumming career compaired to other tours with Uriah Heep.

After recording the Ozzy albums and doing a very successful UK tour. Did you know or have any idea that Ozzy had plans to replace you and Bob. Did anything happen while on tour which could of made Ozzy have a change of heart. It must of left one hell of a bitter taste in your mouth, being somewhat used. Then we had the Bastardised versions of Blizzard & Diary years later. Which to this day i cannot understand the reasons behind it. Could you possibley give us an idea of how you and Bob took the bad news etc. Do you think Randy had any part in you's both being replaced ?.

When you did your Ozzy debut gigs under the name of the 'Law'. Do you remember that time at all. I heard that the shows were kept quiet and some what secret but they still got a good turn out. Do you remember the venues at all, was it a pub or a night club ?. It has been rumoured that you's did gigs at Cromer and Blackpool. It may not be fresh in your memory but can you tell us anything about those gigs and what songs did you's play.

I have some info about you being involved in a project back in 1985 The Fatback band was that you playing the drums ?.. Or is this some other Lee Kerslake ? You toured with that band in '85 and if i remember you played 2 nights at the Hammersmith Odeon and the boxer Frank Bruno was back stage ?. Would you share some memories from this part of your career.
Many thanks again regards Shaun :wink:
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NoQuattro
Cool Member

Post by NoQuattro »

Lee,

Thanks again for doing this. My question: when you guys were recording Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman, were you solely responsible for coming up with your drum parts and ideas, or did you take any cues from Bob or Randy as far as what they envisioned for the song? For example, the big rolling intro to Over the Mountain. Also, I would like to say that I have always admired your drumming on S.A.T.O., especially the ride cymbal work. It ties everything together so nicely. Thanks!

-Max
"Everyone says theres nothing new that can be done with a guitar, but when people like Randy come along, they realize they're wrong." -- Angus Young, AC/DC
stress2stress2
Cool Member

Post by stress2stress2 »

Lee:

Let me first express my sincere thanks to you for taking time to share with us.

Second, let me say that, as a fellow drummer (I’m in my mid 40s now), your work on Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman is classic, exceptional, tasty, powerful, and essential for anyone interested in learning to sit behind a drum kit. I am sure that I am not the only drummer that learned plenty from you with just those two albums, as well as your work on others.

Although you have had a long and varied career outside of your work with Randy Rhoads, within the context of this forum, I will focus on that period with a few questions:

1.Did you inherit or invent the intro to “Over The Mountain”? It is rumored that Quiet Riot’s Franki Binalli invented it during guitarist auditions Ozzy held in LA in ’79, and that it was suggested to you by either Ozzy or Randy. Either way, your execution of it still amazes many of us.

2. In 2006, I was treated to a visit to Ridge Farm Studio by owner Frank Andrews. I was hoping you might be able to remember some details about the kits you used during the recording of Blizzard and Diary. The few photos of the BOO sessions show you playing a 5-piece kit in the area under the control room.

3. Were you set up there for both albums in the room under the control room or at the far end of the studio in the isolation booth area?

4. Do you have any recollections of any compositions from you, Oz, Bob, and Randy that were discarded, left unfinished, or otherwise unused? Titles, lyrics, or any descriptions that we might find interesting within the context of BOO and DOAM.

5. If there were other compositions (partial or otherwise), were they ever recorded?

6. Do you know of the existence of any film or video of you relaxing, traveling, and/or performing together?

7. What is sometimes overlooked is that you were co-writer on many of the DOAM tracks. Although your main contribution was your drumming, can you describe your input on those tracks; lyrics, music, vocal melodies, etc?

8. Frank Andrews and engineer/producer Max Norman have both said that some overdubbing of orchestral instruments was not done at Ridge Farm. Where were these sessions held? Did you attend? Do you have any recollection of them?

9. Producer Chris Tsangarides was tapped to be the producer of BOO but was sacked early on. Can you describe anything about the sessions captained by Chris?

10. Do you have any personal anecdote about Randy that might otherwise have been lost over the years?

Again, many thanks for taking our questions.

Tim
McLowery
Madman

Post by McLowery »

Hey Lee,

Your drumming has been very influential to how I build the foundation in my own songwriting. I really liked your work in Uriah Heep and it was great to hear you, Bob and Steve Morse doing Living Loud as well. You, along with Steve Gadd and Dave Lombardo are the players that made me realize most that all the thick overdriven guitar tone in the world is meaningless to the creation of a heavy, hard driving sound if the rythym section is missing it's balls. A potential behemoth of a tune can instantly be rendered into something that might come off as a bad attempt at a pop tune or something.. lol

QUESTION: I know when The Blizzard of Ozz band hit the stage and started the tour Randy had to mutate certain phrases in some of the song arrangements for them to come off just as well live as they did from the album version. Did you, Randy and Bob collaborate on the changes in those areas or did you guys just kind of "fall into place" indavidually with it and did your own things pretty much?
Oh bring me some CHUNKY PUDDING, and bring it RIGHT NOW!!!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Hi Lee again,

Ozzy reportedly found Diary Of A Madman very difficult to sing (with the unusual time signature of the song) were the rest of the band disappointed that this wasn't going to feature in the live set?

Matt
deportationblues

Post by deportationblues »

Thanks for doing this Mr. Kerslake.

How did the process for writing "No bone Movies" happen? I've heard a version of the song with the x-rated film sounds overtop the music. Who's idea was that? Thanks for contributing to such great albums over the years.
dB
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustTakeAPebble
Mass Poster

Post by JustTakeAPebble »

Hi Lee,

How are you? I hope the summer has been well for you. I have a few questions.

1) What was your favourite and most memorable moment during Ozzy?

2) What was your favourite song during the Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of A Madman sessions?

3) With Living Loud, which song did you favour playing most?

Simon
Gata

Questions to Lee Kerslake

Post by Gata »

Good evening Mr Kerslake, and thank you for your time with us.

I have two questions about song writing on Diary of a Madman.

1. On this album, three songs - "Over the Mountain", "Flying High Again" and "Little Dolls" - feature a similar pattern in their structure. Their choruses are actually twofold (say C1/C2) like "I heard them tell me..." and "No need of astrology..." in OTM. The songs go with C1 for the first chorus, C1+C2 for the second, and C2 for the next. This was simply a wonderful idea that was unseen on Blizzard.

2. About the bridge part of "Diary of a Madman" (the song), when Ozzy starts singing. The lyrics and vocal melody are built on a 2x2 bar pattern, with lines going along by pairs ( "a sickened mind and spirit" / "the mirror tells me lies", etc). But Randy's part is built on a 3x2 bar pattern as the double-stops show up every three rounds (except for the first run). This is absolutely baffling (and I love your march rythm there).

My question is wether you know/remember who came up with these ideas ? Where did they came from ? How do such ideas surface (I mean, besides obvious talent) ?

More generally, I feel the song writing became much deeper and sophisticated from Blizzard to Diary. Do you share that feeling ? How do you think that happened ?

Thank you,
Pat

PS : Can't get enough of your drumming on S.A.T.O. (if I have to name only one).
Last edited by Gata on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I told'em I had ridden shooting stars and said I'd show them how"
OffTheScales

Post by OffTheScales »

Lee Thanks so much for coming out here and talking with us.
It's so awesome talking to a legend! And one of the best drummers ever!
Here are my questions.

Question 1. What kind of drums did you play with Randy and Ozzy? Did you play the same drum set through out your time with Ozzy or did you have others? If So what are they?
Question 2. Was They're Ever A Time You And Randy Would Just Jam by your selves? Like on a sound check, etc.
Question 3. What Was Your Reaction To The Remasters Of Blizzard Of Ozz And Diary Of A Madman?
Question 4. It was said Bob Daisley wrote most of the lyrics for Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman is this true? Or did you and Randy take up a large credit for the lyrics?
Question 5. What was it like off stage with band? Walking around/hanging on the tour bus?
Question 6. If you could relive any day with Randy and the band what day/show would it be???
When Randy Rhoads Died, I think A Piece Of Everyone In Town Died With Him...
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

bloody hell!! what a great quality and quantity of questions!!

Matt
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Hi Mr. Kerslake, thank you for taking the time to converse with us.

I wonder about the Blizzard and Diary sessions and how much Mr. Daisley and yourself helped with arranging the pieces.

I have a DVD of the making of Metallica's 'black album' and in it Kirk demonstrates his original vision of Enter Sandman, then Lars explains his input that changed it into what we heard on the final product. Kirk had the vision and created the parts, Lars rearranged them and came up with an excellent song.

Did this sort of thing take place During the Blizzard and Diary recording sessions? I believe that Randy was a brilliant guitarist, but how much help did he have in what is described as his 'quantum leap' in ability from his Quiet Riot days to his days with you in Ozzy's band?