The whereabouts of Randy Rhoads; a site analysis.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

hempdiddy

The whereabouts of Randy Rhoads; a site analysis.

Post by hempdiddy »

I know that it being 27th anniversary of Randy Rhoads' death last week, I'm a few days late posting this, but there are a few items that I'd like to share with everybody. A few present-day photos of the Rhoads crash site have come into my possession:

This is the airfield from where Randy Rhoads took off alive and would never return. Imagine that this landscape, these trees, and these buildings are the last things that the three victims ever saw.

The road and entrance to the bus depot and airport.

The location of the accident. You can see the mansion, and behind the two dark green, round-ish palm trees in the middle of the photo, is the garage that the plane crashed into and exploded. Heading from left to right is the airstrip; it can be seen as a thin strip of concrete along the wooden fence line. Between the airstrip and the group of very large trees on the right of the photo is where the tour bus would have most likely been parked. After striking the tour bus, the plane severed a large pine tree. That pine tree may have been amongst the group of large trees on the right or amongst the other large pine trees seen rising from the back/center of the photo.

This is where it all went down, literally. When I think of Randy Rhoads and the way he was taken from this earth, I become very sad and feel heart-broken. These images show a place where events occurred that would change hard rock forever. Who knows for certain what other music Randy would have given to the world? These images seem to show a world that has gone on since 1982, but for those of us who understand, these image have powerful impact. It shows a place of heavy consequence, deep despair, and untimely ruin.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Thanks for sharing these photographs H, I have seen shots from the accident site many times but every time I see them I shudder.
That was indeed a tragic day for the fans, friends and family of Randy.

Ian
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Thanks for the pics!
Been there myself long time ago, understand your feelings.....
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Cheers for posting those pics, i wonder how much this place has changed over the years.It does bring a sense of feeling that even though we know what happened here we are still interested in the death of Randy which is saddening. It all ended here, the accident site its like a case of being the detective and being an eyewitness to the horrific images that must still haunt peoples minds especially the band and crew who must of had a living nightmare watching that horror unfold. It will be interesting to see how much input Don Airey puts into the documentary. We may even see those last photos he took before the accident.
JAY
Cool Member

Post by JAY »

Here is the google earth link of the crash site
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 3&t=k&om=1

Thanks for the pics,I love the freedom here!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I don't think it is morbid or negative to go to a scene of anyones death.

Thanks for sharing and making me think about seizing the day!

Mattx
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

I don't think it's really morbid either. My BFFL and I spent a summer one year touring American Civil War battlefields.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

thanks, i appreciate these shots
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Matthew wrote:I don't think it is morbid or negative to go to a scene of anyones death.Mattx
NicDots wrote:I don't think it's really morbid either.
Well i think that would depend on the circumstances of how the person died. If you have memories of a place that are good yeah. But i think in the case of Randy his death was a tragic accident. I wouldn't get a bhuzz from looking round the mansion (crash site) thinking. Yeah then the plane would of hit that tree, cartwheeled, smashed into the garage roof, burned etc.. I could see myself looking round Ridge farm recording studios with a good feeling of wanting to ask questions and then going down the Plough pub for a beer just like the guys did when recording. I wonder if Delores has ever been to the crash site ? I get the feeling she hasn't. :?
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:Thanks for the pics!
Been there myself long time ago, understand your feelings.....
Pat what are your memories of being there ? did you get close to the air strip or the mansion house ?.
Six_Strung_Out
Cool Member

Post by Six_Strung_Out »

I am a Vietnam War Veteran. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go back to Vietnam now. Some veterans do go back to the sites of the battles in Vietnam that killed their comrades. Myself, I like the crystal present and the hopeful future. Yet, that is just me :D

Randy Rhoads to me is a musical angel. Where he took off on his last physical man-made flight does not interest me. Yet, that is just me.

When I think of human flight and disaster launching from the State of Florida, I think of the two Space Shuttles (1986 and 2003) that never made it back to Earth. Randy Rhoads is a musical astronaut. We should all continue to float on his beautiful guitar compositions and wonderful smile. :D
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

I love the metaphor of Randy Rhaods being a musical astronaut.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
SPTiger

Post by SPTiger »

This is my first post here, so first I have to say how much I've enjoyed browsing this site.

As far as viewing the crash site, in this context I don't find it morbid. I've always wanted to see what it looked like, just to get some perspective of the crash. I can see why some people want to visit the place also. Look along the side of almost any major highway or interstate in this country (U.S.) and you'll see little white crosses occasionally marking where people (usually teenagers) have been killed in car crashes. I guess visiting the spot where Randy got killed is like leaving a little white cross.

You want to talk about morbid, I used to work in the funeral business and I worked at the funeral home that arranged the services and burial of Elvis Presley. Every August (and occasionally during the year) people would come by the funeral home and want to come in and see the table Elvis was embalmed on. Now that's weird.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Last edited by whoopiecat on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!