Randy had a 12 string! (Updated with Close up photos)

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

NicDots
Mass Poster

Post by NicDots »

LOL, it says Uriah Heep! That's Bob's old band.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

NicDots wrote:LOL, it says Uriah Heep! That's Bob's old band.
:lol:
Yeah that was Bob's old band! :)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

The Flying Dutchman wrote:
NicDots wrote:LOL, it says Uriah Heep! That's Bob's old band.
:lol:
Yeah that was Bob's old band! :)
This has been mentioned over at TK that 'box' with Uriah Heep wrote on is a flightcase from Lee Kerslake's drums. Plus Bob went onto join UH after his days in the Blizzard of Ozz. He licked his wounds and joined up with Lee for a short period.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

wareagle wrote:i thought lee and bob were friends from tthe interview of bob, bob backed lee up to stay in the band, am i wrong?
No, you are right, they were/are buddies. And yes Bob tried what he could to keep Lee in the Blizzard of Ozz, that's why they get rid of Bob as well...... But I don't think Bob backed him up only because they were buddies, Lee was perfect for the band! (a good powerful drummer, and very important he could write songs as well)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Matthew wrote:Many of Randy's runs from fills and solos sound just as beautiful played slowly or actual speed 8) 8)
I was just learning the solo to Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) and it is nearly a perfect solo because you can sing along to it and it sounds good at any speed.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I asked Dave Tangye about his collection of photos from both the Blizzard & Diary recording sessions. He said that he was at both of the sessions but he only photographed them in the studio while recording Diary. He then went onto say that the 12 string Gibson Firebird belonged to him. Which was a big surprise as it must of been used in recording on both Blizzard & Diary as i have seen it in a pic with Randy from the 1980 UK tour programme. So it was in the studio both times, it would be interesting to find out if Dave still has the guitar.
wareagle
Mass Poster

Post by wareagle »

Last edited by wareagle on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I have heard that it was used on the tracks Diary of a Madman and You Can't Kill Rock n Roll. I'm waiting for a reply from Dave and hopefully he'll share some more details about the guitar etc.
zennman
Cool Member

Post by zennman »

wareagle wrote: also in the left corner theres a box tht says briah hee. who his he/her?
Uriah Heep
Gata

Post by Gata »

Great picture. Thanks for sharing.
I would have loved to be a mouse at Ridge farm, back then, and enjoy the sessions...
"I told'em I had ridden shooting stars and said I'd show them how"
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I have heard that it was used on the tracks Diary of a Madman and You Can't Kill Rock n Roll. I'm waiting for a reply from Dave and hopefully he'll share some more details about the guitar etc.
This is dynamite Shaun, after all these years finding out who owned that guitar and finding out it was used on the 2 albums 8) we had been led by recieved wisdom that we knew which peices of kit RR used on 'everything' and then we get things like this confirmed on UR. 8) 8) :wink:
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I asked Dave if he had any more info on the 12 string firebird and this is what he had to say.
" The Gibson I think was a 1962 model Limited Edition Firebird 12 string solid body, and was re-finished! (this basically means it was a reject at inspection initially) Gibson would put this guitar back into their quality control system, and make it right.
I contacted Gibson in Kalamazoo Michigan, shortly after I purchased the guitar in 1976 from 'Sacks' pawn shop, in Cleveland Ohio for $175. They in turn gave me the relevant history from the i.d. number stamped on the Guitar neck (it bore the number 2 under the main serial number, as in second).
I sold this Guitar to Ozzy Osbourne for £600, and he in turn gifted it to Randy Rhoads. I remember Steve Howe from the band YES, was also keen to buy it from me, as he was a Gibson guitar collector.
This guitar was only used on the Diary album, I am unsure as to which tracks though."
That's amazing to find out that the guitar was bought by Ozzy and then passed onto Randy. It's weird how it is not recognised as a RR guitar, could he of traded this guitar or part exchanged it for some of his other arsenal of guitars ?. But great news Eh!
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:I asked Dave if he had any more info on the 12 string firebird and this is what he had to say.
" The Gibson I think was a 1962 model Limited Edition Firebird 12 string solid body, and was re-finished! (this basically means it was a reject at inspection initially) Gibson would put this guitar back into their quality control system, and make it right.
I contacted Gibson in Kalamazoo Michigan, shortly after I purchased the guitar in 1976 from 'Sacks' pawn shop, in Cleveland Ohio for $175. They in turn gave me the relevant history from the i.d. number stamped on the Guitar neck (it bore the number 2 under the main serial number, as in second).
I sold this Guitar to Ozzy Osbourne for £600, and he in turn gifted it to Randy Rhoads. I remember Steve Howe from the band YES, was also keen to buy it from me, as he was a Gibson guitar collector.
This guitar was only used on the Diary album, I am unsure as to which tracks though."
That's amazing to find out that the guitar was bought by Ozzy and then passed onto Randy. It's weird how it is not recognised as a RR guitar, could he of traded this guitar or part exchanged it for some of his other arsenal of guitars ?. But great news Eh!
yet another RR myth destroyed!

Cheers!

Exciting, I wonder if RR fans will all suddenly want Firebirds now LOL

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Yeah i can see vintage Firebird's being on every RR fans Christmas wish list.
I was some what surprised when Dave said it wasn't used on the Blizzard album as it was definately in Ridge farm studios. It was probably there in case a track was being changed or tweaked by Randy. You can just see the headstock poking out below the window.
Last edited by GUITARIDOL5682 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.