Tito
Mass Poster

Anybody seen this?

Post by Tito »

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Re: Anybody seen this?

Post by Shockwave »

Would like to hear it directly from Calhoun, and the only way he would know that for a fact is if he was actually watching the plane come in and saw those flaps adjust like that, and didn't the Ozzy camp have to go into the house to get him out because he was sleeping or something? The flaps could have been in that position as a result of the wreckage, and he is basing his theory on that.

I've always thought that someone lost their balance as the plane came in that last time someone and leaned into the controls, and the "struggle" that was seen was likely Randy trying to regain his balance or pulling Rachel back into her seat.
dfanucci

Post by dfanucci »

Flaps had nothing to do with the crash. Flaps are on the wing of a plane to help create lift when a plane is flying slow. It decreases the stall speed of the wing allowing a plane to be controlled during slow flight (such as landing). They only move one way (down or stowed) and in the ntsb photo of the plane, the flaps are not down.

I think the guy in the video meant that the rudder and ailerons were affected. That would make sense...
JNH

Post by JNH »

dfanucci wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:59 pm Flaps had nothing to do with the crash. Flaps are on the wing of a plane to help create lift when a plane is flying slow. It decreases the stall speed of the wing allowing a plane to be controlled during slow flight (such as landing). They only move one way (down or stowed) and in the ntsb photo of the plane, the flaps are not down.

I think the guy in the video meant that the rudder and ailerons were affected. That would make sense...
Very good points here dfanucci.......i've been messing around with the X-Plane 11 sim for a few years now, and you're absolutely correct sir!!
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

That is a totally logical and reasonable explanation of the accident. It totally makes sense with what has been described as Randy in the back seat seemingly trying to help Rachel, who had fallen forward. Unfortunately, there are a lot of crazy folks out there that want to believe the worst or float some conspiracy theory that this whole thing was nefarious. Sometimes, unfortunate things happen that are one in a million occurrences that cause accidents. It's crazy, but if 105 pound Randy Rhoads is sitting in the front, he probably doesn't lurch as far forward and hit those floor pedals. Wow.