Kathy states there will be an “exciting announcement” on Randy’s birthday..

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Kathy states there will be an “exciting announcement” on Randy’s birthday..

Post by Shockwave »

Said on her latest IG post. Hopefully something new and good…
P C M
Cool Member

Re: Kathy states there will be an “exciting announcement” on Randy’s birthday..

Post by P C M »

:shock: fingers crossed - stay positive :wink:
Rhoadsfan266

Post by Rhoadsfan266 »

Another 12K guitar? Or maybe another bottle of wine?
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Wait a minute was it not a $20000 guitar.

I guess that it will not be footage as it would have Ozzy in it and that would be a big no from their camp. As we know Ozzy retracks all his vocals for live releases I can not see that happening anymore.

Well it is only a couple days, away fingers crossed, who knows maybe something decent for Randy fans.
Rhoadsfan266

Post by Rhoadsfan266 »

Think it was 20K with a bottle of wine, an action figure, and a coloring book.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

I guess it'll be anything apart from a sanctioned documentary, footage or audio....
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Nothing so far. But it could be an Ozzy announcement that she knows about as well, could be anything.

I heard last week that the Rhoads family was involved in choosing which actor would play Randy in the Ozzy/Sharon biopic. So it could be that as well.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

The announcement is a new Randy Rhoads MXR Distortion Plus pedal. Jim Dunlops team came to Musonia and examined Randy’s pedalboard in detail. Looks like they had a cameraman there to document it. Hopefully they do an article on the details and mystery of the pedalboard when the new pedal(s) are released.
Attachments
60CCAD7E-7068-4662-B40B-F33897AF5B6C.jpeg
50546EA1-FF47-4D33-A0BC-6AC1036843B0.jpeg
Rhoadsfan266

Post by Rhoadsfan266 »

Joke, another let down, carry on
P C M
Cool Member

Post by P C M »

Sad.....time to give up trying/hunting for stuff. I am very tired of the Rhoads family let downs. 20,000 pics or more of the man (yet very limited video)? Osbourne's owe/own you. Another shitty let down. Anything I find (til the day I die),my ideas or anything pretaining to Randy I will keep to myself (my idea was alot bigger by the way). Still getting the no contest wrongfull death payouts I see. Enjoy your wine.I quit enabling this family. Very sad his legacy his turned to shit. Next - Kelle - Smell like Rhoads body spray or colone (hint of burnt offerings).Enough,I'm done.Will answer in PM only (if that) - no posting.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Piss poor effort and this is them going all out.. They've invited Jim Dunlops team over to dismantle the chip pan. I cannot see the reason behind that. Randy has been interviewed and he listed what was in his pedal board. If this is their "this is what the fans want" brain wave. His legacy is still in a badly managed order. It's the building up to the "big announcement". What a let down.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Rest in peace Randall William Rhoads. Now only memory remains. :!:
Mikel
Rhoadsfan266

Post by Rhoadsfan266 »

Right on PCM, im glad im not the only one that feels this way, only hope we have would be Jack imo.
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Shockwave wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:33 pm The announcement is a new Randy Rhoads MXR Distortion Plus pedal. Jim Dunlops team came to Musonia and examined Randy’s pedalboard in detail.
A couple years ago Dunlop re-issued the "MXR CSP104 '73 Vintage Script Distortion+ ". That one has a GERMANIUM diode instead of the Silicon diode the nowadays M104 Distortion+ has.
I think they just gonna remake the Script Distortion+ but now with the RR logo on it. Nothing really special imo. I have both and I think the M104 sounds better. btw the concert photo's of his pedalboard shows at times a yellow Boss OD1 on top, I think he looked for a replacement for his MXR distortion.

Also: Kathy ever commented what happened with the 'Detroit' footage given to her.....?
(as usual: it looks like they never can do the right thing....)
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
equinox

Post by equinox »

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in from a technical standpoint.

This is VERY exciting for me, as like they said, NO ONE has seen the inside of his board in FORTY YEARS!! Even my "clone" is based on IF his pedals were stock or not and how I would think Pete approached the design for Randy's pedalboard!

I asked Nick Bowcott from Sweetwater about some things. He confirmed (as I had heard once before), that Randy's friend from Budgie (and also friend or Nick's) that at one time a roadie had dropped the pedalboard and it was not working right. They took it apart and I think it was "Big" John "J.T." Thomas (Budgie) confirmed to Nick that the pedals were epoxied or gooped!!

This could mean the pedals were modified and/or done that to hold everything in it's place. Nick also said they A-B'ed some off-the-shelf MXR D+ pedals with Randy's board and it did NOT produce the goods and sound the same! This may mean the pedal was modified!! If so, and the top management at MXR and Jimmy Dunlop reverse engineering the unit, they may be actually releasing a modified unit with the same spec Randy used!! If so, that is exciting (versus just releasing a stock pedal and painting it poka-dot or something)!!

As with the Marshall tribute amp....the family got the people that built them directly (Marshall....MXR) to reverse engineer the equipment and ensure correct. If this is not exciting to get closer to the actual tone....I don't know what is!!

The pictures Kathy provided, to me, mean a lot and tell me a lot from an engineering and technical standpoint. We can see the pedals are indeed fasted to the top directly (I put them on the bottom with disconnectable harnesses to the potentiometers on top as I was not sure and also, the stock pots were not long enough to go thru the pedal and pedalboard top, so longer shafted pots would be needed, or at least for mine).

I can see the jacks in the back and wire up, like mine, as well as the transformer to power it on right side, with the powerboard (I'm sure all caps are dried up and need replacement), and even a toggle switch (probably on/off) underneath!

I used a simple flip-flop approach with 555 timers and 2N3904/2N3906s transistors readily available at the time for the looper and shunting output to ground when inactive to ensure dead quiet. We see now, there are 6 semiconductors! CMOS chips were (4pc) Motorola MC14027B and (2pc) 40014 BPC CMOS chips. I'm sure same way to achieve end result, but different approach and Pete's was more complicated than needed to be!!

I was told by someone within the last 2 weeks to get Randy's sound, the D+ needed three changes removing 2 parts and increasing the value of 1! Pretty specific, but they didn't supply the background of why they thought that.

The chip pan has been at RARHOF for the last year and I believe thru October, so makes sense they got it back and able to do all of this now, and yes, Randy's birthday just passed.

"a Technician named Pete "Pedalboard" Holmes made Randy's pedalboard! The cost was £1100. Stuart Hopkins, their guitar tech at the time, delivered it to Randy at Clearwell Castle in England! Randy specified the pedals to be incorporated into the pedalboard." This was documented in Bob Daisley's book Off The Rails on Page 125.

This is very, very exciting. They will make bank, and people will have basically an exact copy of Randy's original pedal! We all should be excited about this. Photos and Videos, etc. are separate issues.

ref: - https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jim-du ... 4-CFJTNIxA