Rosen/Klein Book.........and a new revelation.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

JNH

Rosen/Klein Book.........and a new revelation.

Post by JNH »

All i can say is WOW!!! I'm in the midst of reading this book for the 2nd time and just came across something i overlooked before.......halfway through the book, there is a segment on when Max Norman was producing/engineering "Diary" at Ridge Farm Studios. For those of you that own this book, turn to page 194 and you'll see an (old school dot matrix) print-out of the work completed on the 2" Master. Besides obvious songs such as Little Dolls, Believer and Over The Mountain, there are other UNKNOWN songs such as Mean Machine, Just A Kiss, Floydian, and Headbanger. WTF????
But after getting excited for a few minutes, thinking these are songs committed to 2" tape that we've never heard, i came to the guess/realization that these are most likely songs on the album that got re-named before the album went to print. Max Norman makes notes below the print-out in pencil of little reminders for himself for the mixing stage. FLOYDIAN: (cross fade out end of song, delay end of solo)..........leads me to believe this song actually got re-named to "Tonight". Oh well, guess i got all worked up for nothing. Unless someone knows something more about this??
stealaway
Mass Poster

Re: Rosen/Klein Book.........and a new revelation.

Post by stealaway »

Those songs were re-titled indeed!!! Machine was Flying High and Floydian was... You Can't Kill Rock'n Roll, I think.
Haven't read the book for few years, I gotta check it thru' some time!!! It's a great book, I'm glad you've got it!!!
I got my copy very cheap, so I was very lucky!!!
Mikel
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Yes, Floydian might have actually been Tonight.
Mikel
JNH

Post by JNH »

Thanx so much for your input Stealaway (Mikel)........yes, it's an incredible book and i guess we are both fortunate to own a copy!!
-Cheers- :)
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Interesting... now I've gotta get the book out
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Hey guys, this was one of the FIRST things I noticed when I received the book years ago. Mean Machine was renamed Flying High Again, Just a Kiss was renamed Tonight, Floydian was renamed You Can't Kill Rock and Roll, and Headbanger was renamed S.A.T.O. Obviously, those were working titles before Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics and appropriately named them. The working title of You Can't Kill Rock and Roll makes me think that Randy & Ozzy were going for a Pink Floyd vibe with the acoustic guitar and may have somehow reinterpreted something they heard from them. I also believe Ozzy and the band did visit Floyd during one of their recording sessions back when they were writing Diary.

If you want to have even more fun to see what we missed out on with the 3Oth Anniversary Box Set, calculate the working track's lengths with the actual recorded track's lengths to see how much longer the fades on Flying High Again, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll, and Tonight go. It will take a little math and knowing how the tape counter operates, but I figured it out once and wrote it all down on a piece of paper that has long since been recycled. If you recall, part of the original release of Diary of a Madman was going to include longer fades and a remixed version of the title track to feature the choir. I know many of us were salivating to hear the complete version of the outro guitar solo on Tonight.

Good stuff, and it brings up a subject that I actually meant to post on years ago. I'm actually very surprised that no one else picked up on this and made it into a semi-major discussion thread after the Klein book was released.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Good points. I don't know why such discussions have never emerged... Was it because the book's somewhat limited availability, high price and bit of opposition towards the book being published...? I remember that Rhoads-family was not too excited about it. Propably because of how the documentary went etc... I understand their point, but fans would like to have so much more, if that's possible.
Mikel
JNH

Post by JNH »

Yes........very good points there No1Uno!!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Just found that this guy on YouTube uploaded videos of the entire book page by page. :D

https://youtu.be/CfrmLWK1BUw
equinox

Post by equinox »

Link - DEAD
SanDimasCharvel
Cool Member

Post by SanDimasCharvel »

No1UNo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:31 am Hey guys, this was one of the FIRST things I noticed when I received the book years ago. Mean Machine was renamed Flying High Again, Just a Kiss was renamed Tonight, Floydian was renamed You Can't Kill Rock and Roll, and Headbanger was renamed S.A.T.O. Obviously, those were working titles before Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics and appropriately named them. The working title of You Can't Kill Rock and Roll makes me think that Randy & Ozzy were going for a Pink Floyd vibe with the acoustic guitar and may have somehow reinterpreted something they heard from them. I also believe Ozzy and the band did visit Floyd during one of their recording sessions back when they were writing Diary.

If you want to have even more fun to see what we missed out on with the 3Oth Anniversary Box Set, calculate the working track's lengths with the actual recorded track's lengths to see how much longer the fades on Flying High Again, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll, and Tonight go. It will take a little math and knowing how the tape counter operates, but I figured it out once and wrote it all down on a piece of paper that has long since been recycled. If you recall, part of the original release of Diary of a Madman was going to include longer fades and a remixed version of the title track to feature the choir. I know many of us were salivating to hear the complete version of the outro guitar solo on Tonight.

Good stuff, and it brings up a subject that I actually meant to post on years ago. I'm actually very surprised that no one else picked up on this and made it into a semi-major discussion thread after the Klein book was released.
This was in a press release before they changed things:

Diary of a Madman (Legacy Edition)
Pre-Order - Ships on or before May 03, 2011
Disc 1
1.Over The Mountain (4:31)
2.Flying High Again (4:44)
3.You Can’t Kill Rock And Roll (6:59)
4.Believer (5:15)
5.Little Dolls (5:39)
6.Tonight (5:50)
7.S.A.T.O. (4:07)
8.Diary Of A Madman (6:14)
9.Tonight (Long Version, Previously Unreleased) (6:09)
10.You Can’t Kill Rock And Roll (Long Version, Previously Unreleased) (7:11)
11.Diary Of A Madman (2010 Remix, Previously Unreleased) (6:08)
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

A great find and inclusion here to find out exactly how many extra seconds of Randy we missed out on when they cancelled this version. I am hopeful since this was completed at one point, that it reappears on a future version of something - or perhaps as digital bonus tracks somewhere down the line.