Autopsy reports - Requested

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

shawn
Cool Member

Re: Autopsy reports - Requested

Post by shawn »

Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:16 am
1. Mike Smalt says he gave copies of the crash photos to Margolis for the documentary. This included all gory photos of the aftermath of the crash. He said everyone involved signed off on him releasing the photos to Margolis. Margolis promised he would not use the bad ones in the film though. Smalt says he still has copies of all the photos.
Wait Mike Smalt is retired is he not? Why would he have access to police records?
I wonder who everyone involved is? I am sure that Randy's family would not have signed off on that.
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:16 am 2. Smalt says he does not have copies of Don Aireys photos from that day. But he did say that he remembers seeing them and also the one with Randy sitting on the wing prior to going up.
See there is always shit like this that makes you wonder. So the investigating officer did not get copies of photos that show there is a struggle going on in the plane as it is dive bombing the bus. Photos that prove that a fatal accident occurred because there was a struggle occurring in a plane in flight.
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:16 am 4. Smalt says on 3 different occasions during the call that you can see into the windows of small planes exactly like the one that was flown and see the people inside. The last time he mentions it he also references the local air shows in that area that used the same type of planes and would fly low to the ground in the same manner. He says you can see through the front, sides (back seating area) of the plane. He says the best angle to make things out is from the side and mentions the people riding the horses that morning that saw the accident happen.
Here is a Beech Bonanza B35TC Fly-by not the same model but gives you an idea

Here is an Beech Bonanza H35 taxiing, at low speed it is hard to see what is going.

It is still possible I guess but it does make me wonder.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

shawn wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:24 am
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:16 am
1. Mike Smalt says he gave copies of the crash photos to Margolis for the documentary. This included all gory photos of the aftermath of the crash. He said everyone involved signed off on him releasing the photos to Margolis. Margolis promised he would not use the bad ones in the film though. Smalt says he still has copies of all the photos.
Wait Mike Smalt is retired is he not? Why would he have access to police records?
I wonder who everyone involved is? I am sure that Randy's family would not have signed off on that.
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:16 am 2. Smalt says he does not have copies of Don Aireys photos from that day. But he did say that he remembers seeing them and also the one with Randy sitting on the wing prior to going up.
See there is always shit like this that makes you wonder. So the investigating officer did not get copies of photos that show there is a struggle going on in the plane as it is dive bombing the bus. Photos that prove that a fatal accident occurred because there was a struggle occurring in a plane in flight.
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:16 am 4. Smalt says on 3 different occasions during the call that you can see into the windows of small planes exactly like the one that was flown and see the people inside. The last time he mentions it he also references the local air shows in that area that used the same type of planes and would fly low to the ground in the same manner. He says you can see through the front, sides (back seating area) of the plane. He says the best angle to make things out is from the side and mentions the people riding the horses that morning that saw the accident happen.
Here is a Beech Bonanza B35TC Fly-by not the same model but gives you an idea

Here is an Beech Bonanza H35 taxiing, at low speed it is hard to see what is going.

It is still possible I guess but it does make me wonder.

My comments were just quick run through of what he said, he gives a little more detail on each.

Smalt let on that his 60th birthday had just happened or was happening within a few days. So looking him up and finding his age will tell you what year this is from. Doing a quick search leads me to believe he is 67 now. He was still working at the time as he said he was either going into work the 2nd shift or the late/night shift, or just got off from working it.

Smalt said everyone who needed to sign off on the photos being released did so. He named the police department and the Rhoads family, and maybe a couple others. He also named Sharon & Ozzy being hesitant at first but eventually signed off, that might be related to the documentary itself though and not specifically the photos. Margolis may have had a blanket release for the documentary so only he had direct contact with Mike Smalt. Margolis would then just show all the appropriate paperwork that he is working the Rhoads interest and can obtain anything he wants in their name.

Romeo added that Margolis was going to use some of the sensitive photos in the documentary and this is when the Rhoads family put the stop to the documentary, not sure where he got that info or if it's true. Mike said Margolis told him he would not do this and that is why he agreed to release the photos to him.

Smalt said he did not keep any photos that were not part of the police investigation. Randy sitting on the wing or anything else irrelevant doesn't add to it so there was no need to keep them. He obviously kept the one photo that we have photocopies of from Don with the plane coming in towards them. Im sure he has a few others while the plane was in the air. I'll have to give it a listen again but I am pretty sure he said no struggle could be seen in any of the photos he saw. I think his response was something like "I don't know about that"

If Romeo had any idea how to interview someone or just not be so direct in the way he asked questions he would probably could have gotten a lot more information. Mike was hesitant at first and said he wasn't sure he should be talking about this but went right into after that. He sounds very laid back and was pretty open about talking about it. He didn't realize and understand why people still talk about it though.

Ill give it another listen tonight to see if I missed anything.
JNH

Post by JNH »

Again, Shawn hit's the nail right on the head and i agree with him 100%. Another speculation could be said about Aycock really owning that large bag of cocaine that was hidden in the driver's console?? Not that it really matters, but i have a strong feeling it was actually owned by Ozzy himself. Sharon had been acting like a drill-sergeant, putting an end to all partying on the bus because of Ozzy's state of mental health and pulling a few "major wobblers". She may have confiscated the bag from Ozzy and given it to Andy to hide. Sharon confided quite a bit to Tommy, as he was a "seasoned pro", and this is probably how Tommy knew about the hidden bag.......hence, getting rid of it asap before the authorities arrived. Andy may have dipped into this bag, but again, it's been proven through the toxicology report that he wasn't "strung-out" when the accident occurred.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

Mike Smalt is the same officer as in the news clip from the accident scene, right? The one with moustache etc.
Mikel
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

stealaway wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:27 pm Mike Smalt is the same officer as in the news clip from the accident scene, right? The one with moustache etc.
yep
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Crazy question, is it true that autopsy photos of Randy leaked years ago?
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

orion_damage wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:16 pm Crazy question, is it true that autopsy photos of Randy leaked years ago?
I don’t think they were leaked but I believe a few people were shown them by Peter Margolis crew. Ironface over at RR.tk is/was pretty much the top guy for Randy Rhoads knowledge and he contributed a lot of info to the documentary as far as I know. I am not positive but I have a vague recollection he was shown those crash photos.

Ironface also shown the full Entertainment Tonight footage and explained it in detail as to what he saw. Prior to release he also got to hear the Randys spotlight solo from suicide solution on the 30 years after the blizzard live album (widely believed to be from the 1980 Southampton show)
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:06 pm
orion_damage wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:16 pm Crazy question, is it true that autopsy photos of Randy leaked years ago?
I don’t think they were leaked but I believe a few people were shown them by Peter Margolis crew. Ironface over at RR.tk is/was pretty much the top guy for Randy Rhoads knowledge and he contributed a lot of info to the documentary as far as I know. I am not positive but I have a vague recollection he was shown those crash photos.

Ironface also shown the full Entertainment Tonight footage and explained it in detail as to what he saw. Prior to release he also got to hear the Randys spotlight solo from suicide solution on the 30 years after the blizzard live album (widely believed to be from the 1980 Southampton show)
Dang, I would love to see the full ET footage. I haven't checked out RR.tk in quite some time. Last time I checked it was pretty quiet.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

orion_damage wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:18 pm
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:06 pm

Dang, I would love to see the full ET footage. I haven't checked out RR.tk in quite some time. Last time I checked it was pretty quiet.

It’s still dead but a wealth of information is there. I still have my draft post here at UR and goal was to create sequence of events before and during the accident that day. I pulled about 20 post from TK so far and there some interesting things you rarely hear about like all the witnesses and some names that actually saw the crash.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:48 am
My comments were just quick run through of what he said, he gives a little more detail on each.
All good I did not listen to the phone call at all.
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:48 am Smalt said everyone who needed to sign off on the photos being released did so. He named the police department and the Rhoads family, and maybe a couple others. He also named Sharon & Ozzy being hesitant at first but eventually signed off, that might be related to the documentary itself though and not specifically the photos. Margolis may have had a blanket release for the documentary so only he had direct contact with Mike Smalt. Margolis would then just show all the appropriate paperwork that he is working the Rhoads interest and can obtain anything he wants in their name.
I would also imagine that the documentary team would just be using paper work saying that they represented certain parties. I could not imagine the Rhoads family signing off on the release of images from Randys autopsy. No wonder that documentary went south.
Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:48 am Romeo added that Margolis was going to use some of the sensitive photos in the documentary and this is when the Rhoads family put the stop to the documentary, not sure where he got that info or if it's true. Mike said Margolis told him he would not do this and that is why he agreed to release the photos to him.
I also think that it is very strange that the release of sensitive images was green lit. There is no need to hand over photos that you do not want used.
It is very odd to say I do want you to use these images but here they are anyway.

Shockwave wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:48 am Smalt said he did not keep any photos that were not part of the police investigation. Randy sitting on the wing or anything else irrelevant doesn't add to it so there was no need to keep them. He obviously kept the one photo that we have photocopies of from Don with the plane coming in towards them. Im sure he has a few others while the plane was in the air. I'll have to give it a listen again but I am pretty sure he said no struggle could be seen in any of the photos he saw. I think his response was something like "I don't know about that"
This alone contradicts what a lot of people keep repeating.That Don has photo evidence of a struggle happening in the aircraft.

It would be interesting to read the police statements taken. That would clear some of the confusion up.
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

I can't seem to find it, but there's a report that has a photo on it that was claimed to be "the" actual plane in flight that day. Does anyone have that or remember what it's called, or if it's even what I was led to believe.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

orion_damage wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:39 pm I can't seem to find it, but there's a report that has a photo on it that was claimed to be "the" actual plane in flight that day. Does anyone have that or remember what it's called, or if it's even what I was led to believe.
See below. That is the photocopy of one of the photos Don took. The quality isn't good because it was 1982. The actual photo part is just that little square where the trees get cut off on the right and the bottom towards the ground. What the investigators did is draw out a sketch of what the scene looked like, then they overlaid Don's photo onto their sketch, then they photo copied it. This is what you are are seeing.

I think it's from the very last approach as the plane was coming in before it crashed as Don said he was taking pictures the last time they came in. And the planes wings are almost vertical as you can see. Since this is just a single frame the wings could have gone completely vertical. That bottom wing is crazy close to the ground...
86C410C2-4F90-44D0-BC6E-EF8315E1814A.png
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Shockwave wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:14 pm
orion_damage wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:39 pm I can't seem to find it, but there's a report that has a photo on it that was claimed to be "the" actual plane in flight that day. Does anyone have that or remember what it's called, or if it's even what I was led to believe.
See below. That is the photocopy of one of the photos Don took. The quality isn't good because it was 1982. The actual photo part is just that little square where the trees get cut off on the right and the bottom towards the ground. What the investigators did is draw out a sketch of what the scene looked like, then they overlaid Don's photo onto their sketch, then they photo copied it. This is what you are are seeing.

I think it's from the very last approach as the plane was coming in before it crashed as Don said he was taking pictures the last time they came in. And the planes wings are almost vertical as you can see. Since this is just a single frame the wings could have gone completely vertical. That bottom wing is crazy close to the ground...

86C410C2-4F90-44D0-BC6E-EF8315E1814A.png
That's the one, unreal to imagine seeing that actually happen.

Thanks for finding it, Shockwave!
Dangling Carrot

Post by Dangling Carrot »

I can assure you that I'm not Romeo. And Shawn you can go STFU! with your message board fan* opinion :wink:

Actually, the photos were offered to me first and I declined to see them or even have them in my possession, especially after hearing his details. I called Peter after talking to Smalt, and told him about the case folder with photos.

Peter arranged for the folder to be sent to him. Peter was not going to use photos in the film like that. He was hoping that some photos could be used that didn't show anything bad. That's what Peter told me anyway..

I was also the one that explained to Kathy how* Peter got them. Damage had already been done as for Peter with family via Kelle and Kelly..they really worked hard to get Peter removed after he would not let them control the doc for self gain.

The photos were the final nail. I was the one that informed Kathy that Peter had them and to clear myself from involvement before that bomb exploded.

The family had no idea the folder and photos even existed. Mike told me that it was such a big case for him.. that the department let him keep the case file. I was on the the Documentary research crew and was assigned Knoxville and the day of the crash. I researched the last guitar teacher, the girls in the photo backstage and Mike Smalt.
Dangling Carrot

Post by Dangling Carrot »

I would say if you were on that tour with ~Ozzy~ cocaine was like candy for all involved 😉 its not like the crew had been on Dr.Phill and the band was the only ones dipping into the dust..belive it or not, cocaine is an outing and a lot of people partake that say they don't. I guess you can call them closet covers 😄😇