Interview with the DJ that booked Ozzy for the After Hours show.

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Interview with the DJ that booked Ozzy for the After Hours show.

Post by Shockwave »

New interview with Marty Duda who was the DJ that booked the After Hours show with Ozzy.

A few interesting things.

1. Ozzy & Sharon told them to not film Lyndsey Bridgewater at all, they absolutely hated the guy. Marty gets the name wrong and assumed it was Don Airey.

2. Marty is the one that sold the After Hours footage to Ozzy later in the 80's. Apparently they is a few overdubs that Ozzy redid on his voice on all the versions we see out there. He also said he still has the unedited version of the show that he sent to Ozzy.

3. Marty is the one that edited and synced the video and sound for the video. It was two separate sources.

4. The lines you see across the screen in the video is because the volume was so loud from the Marshall stacks :D . The cameras had tubes in them and the resulting vibration was the cause.

clashradio
Cool Member

Re: Interview with the DJ that booked Ozzy for the After Hours show.

Post by clashradio »

-Marty mentions he synced the sound to the video; there are a few places where the sound isn't in sync. I always thought it was the fault of the recording deck. (2:17)

-Marty mentions they brought in a sound truck and they had their own mixing guy I wonder if he's talking about Chuck Weisner. (2:37)

-Marty mentions overdubs/Ozzy's voice is fixed. I have a boot vhs that has a message at the bottom of the screen that says something about '"tune into xxFM for audio simulcast". Being how there is a text message on the broadcast, I assume this boot tape is from before Marty sold the tape to the O$bourne's. I don't hear any difference in the audio/vocals compared to 30 Years After The Blizzard/Memoirs of a Madman. (11:28)

-Marty mentions MTV was new in these days. MTV was August 81. I know after forty years memories can get hazy. (13:08)

I wonder if Marty still has the original raw 1" tapes. Look at the beginning solo for I Don't Know. This proves the tape has been edited.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

I think they fixed chorus of Crazy Train, where Ozzy's voice shrieks quite a bit. I think on the "30 years..." that was fixed. I personally prefered the original, as Ozzy was never in tune live anyway...
Mikel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I love behind the scenes info, great find! Thank you for posting this...