EVH ~vs~ RR

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Dangling Carrot

EVH ~vs~ RR

Post by Dangling Carrot »

I listened to EVH as he described Randy "learning everything from him" and i have listen to Randy say that he "pulls a lot of tricks the kids like" but that's not him. I would say that the whammy stuff was a Hendrix thing and the tapping..Ace Frehley * I understand that Randy had just died and EVH was trying to sound humble* but he was still being arrogant and claiming the thrown. Fact is EVH and RR styles are distinctly different. Both are using Hendrix and Frehley trix but styles are completely different. The scale Randy used are definitely Bach classical runs. EVH more classic rock and somewhat original. So, If Randy would have lived you would have two Kings in the valley with separate style castles. The good thing is..there is enough room for both of them and more. Just my 2 cents.

The thing I like about Randy, his style was more toward metal and a mid~evil lol heritage . EVH was pop* I hate pop I like metal. i believe Randy was meant to be with Ozzy not Quiet Riot.

stealaway
Mass Poster

Re: EVH ~vs~ RR

Post by stealaway »

I totally agree :? Eddie was being arrogant. I remember someone referring Eddie as "jealous keyboard player"... About sums it up. By the way, does anyone find similarities in Van Halen's "Running With The Devil" and Blizzard's "Little Dolls"? Or is it just me...? :lol:
Mikel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

I used to think Ed was being arrogant but I listened to the interview with Ed after his death and feel differently now.

By the time Randy was in the public eye with Ozzy, Eddie was already the king of the guitar world. By 1980 Women and Children First was out and Ed was the man.

Most likely he'd read interviews about Randy and read the comment that he ripped off Ed in his solo spot. The two of them knew of each other but didn't know one another. So I believe Ed's comment was based on what he'd read.

Listen to his description of Randy's death, he knew a lot about what happened. It was a big deal to him because he knew who Randy was - where he was from.

I read a Mick Mars interview once about a European festival show where Motley Crue was on the bill with VH. Mick ran into Ed and introduced himself as Bob Deal of White Horse. Ed asked what he was up to and Mars said, "I'm the guitar player for Motley Crue," to which Ed responded, "No shit, really?"

Ed lived in the VH bubble... a lot of his 'arrogance' may have been because he was sheltered from the outside world.
richard emms

Post by richard emms »

The way I look at it is that Randy could probably play all of Eddie's stuff with ease - but I would love to see Eddie play, say, the solo in Over The Mountain. I think he would struggle at the first few attempts. Having the ability to read music, gives Randy an amazing advantage. Two giants of the guitar world for sure, and Eddie is and will be one of my favorites of all time. But Randy... he just "does it" for me. His music is alive, haunting, thought provoking and even soul searching. As Stan Lee always says... "'Nuff Said!".
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

richard emms wrote:The way I look at it is that Randy could probably play all of Eddie's stuff with ease - but I would love to see Eddie play, say, the solo in Over The Mountain. I think he would struggle at the first few attempts. Having the ability to read music, gives Randy an amazing advantage. Two giants of the guitar world for sure, and Eddie is and will be one of my favorites of all time. But Randy... he just "does it" for me. His music is alive, haunting, thought provoking and even soul searching. As Stan Lee always says... "'Nuff Said!".
Randy and Eddie were too different to say either could play the other's with ease. Eddie played loose and played with a particular groove that most don't. Randy seemed more methodical and would piece it together like a puzzle. Both wonderful but very different.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

The thing is that Edward was in a great band. Randy was not. Fact is that Van Halen as a band was way better than Quiet Riot.
David Lee Roth ran over Kevin DuBrow and Alex Van Halen and Michael Anthony had a serious groove going on, as a rhythm section they were cooking!!! Quiet Riot basicly just had Randy. When they came back, their biggest hit was a cover song.
Randy was all it was about for Quiet Riot, if we're honest about it.
I would love to think that Quiet Riot was a great band, but they were not. They had some good songs and a great guitar player. That's what I think...
Mikel