RIP EVH

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

orion_damage
Mass Poster

Re: RIP EVH

Post by orion_damage »

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Rhoads-Fan wrote:Ain't talkin' about Rhoads!

Without Ed, no one here but Frank would've heard of Randy Rhoads. Ozzy went looking for an EVH caliber player after Van Halen destroyed Sabbath.

Without VH's success the 80s would've been SO different in my opinion.
IMG_20201011_111454_426.jpg
Exactly, Eddie is the one that made the ripple that changed everything.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

orion_damage wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:
Rhoads-Fan wrote:Ain't talkin' about Rhoads!

Without Ed, no one here but Frank would've heard of Randy Rhoads. Ozzy went looking for an EVH caliber player after Van Halen destroyed Sabbath.

Without VH's success the 80s would've been SO different in my opinion.
IMG_20201011_111454_426.jpg
Exactly, Eddie is the one that made the ripple that changed everything.
All well and good but shouldn't this be in another section? Off topic for this section, imo. I don't believe for a second that Randy would have been so obscure without Ed.
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

If anyone read or commented outside of this section it should be moved, yes.

As for Randy being obscure without Ed, yep, 100%.

As it was Quiet Riot couldn't get signed and Randy was ready to call it quits and go back to school. Ozzy went looking for an L.A. guitar player because of what Van Halen did opening for Sabbath.

In my opinion, Randy might have started another band had the Ozzy gig not shown up but probably not the kind of band most on this board would've listened to. I believe he was talking about a band similar to Styx, with keyboards and more pop than metal - which I think he'd have been incredible at.

Of course he could've been like Satriani and gotten a recording gig after his students got famous and talked him up...

But as it happened, Ed and his band got signed for being incredible and Ozzy went looking. Of course Dana Strum deserves a little credit too.