Can we please fix the links to on The Free Audio Section?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

No1UNo
Cool Member

Can we please fix the links to on The Free Audio Section?

Post by No1UNo »

Greetings...

I think the few (?!) of us left here (maybe many more that lurk in anonymity) visit once in a while because we love the music that Randy Rhoads helped create. It is timeless, and part of his legend and magic was the wonderful poetic license he took in playing it live - never the same version of the same song twice. Each creation evolved as he expanded his vocabulary and rewrote parts during each performance of it. That is special, and what gives most of us chills when we hear a new live show for the first time.

I've been slow at digesting live performances, and just got around to listening to the 8.7.81 Providence, RI, show - and what a show! Amazing!! I looked on The Ultimate Free Audio Section for it first and the link was broken. Then I tried all of the other shows and the links were broken. I had to go get an mp3 file from Maxx Musterman who created a version that he put up on YouTube and then mislabeled as Fallsburg, NY. My point is, this site is, "Ultimate Rhoads". It should be where everyone comes for all things RR.

So, my humble request - can we please fix the links to The Ultimate Free Audio Section so that this great music can be shared with whoever wants it? After all, that is why we are here and if nothing else can be done to maintain this site, it should have good audio and video available for those that want to see, hear, and learn about Randy - why he was so good and why we love his playing. I would be willing to help in some way or form to help keep this site going and reinvigorate his legacy in some way, shape or form.

If not, I'd appreciate - more than I could ever express, if someone generous enough with mp3's of these shows, would PM me to figure out a way that they can be shared with me. I have the obvious ones that are higher quality, but would like other Grade A and B type shows that are considered particularly special.

Thank you for indulging me, and I hope we can resurrect things here a bit for RR's Legacy sake.
joediesle

Re: Can we please fix the links to on The Free Audio Section

Post by joediesle »

DITTO!!! thumbs up.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

Yea, what they very well said!
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

Back in the day Joe and Ian, et al were younger and had more time and money to devote to this place. Unfortunately we all get older and move off to real world lives and have less time and money to devote to passions. Also unfortunately, hosting music isn't free. Neither is hosting a site.

Maybe someone would consider a GoFundMe or Patreon type thing to reimburse Joe for all he's done over the years? Maybe then fixing links and hosting music to continue the legacy would be possible?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Which links are dead, I'll have a look. I thought most were still up?
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Looks like there's a server misconfiguration, I'll see what I can do.
skezza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by skezza »

Paul Wolfe wrote:Back in the day Joe and Ian, et al were younger and had more time and money to devote to this place. Unfortunately we all get older and move off to real world lives and have less time and money to devote to passions. Also unfortunately, hosting music isn't free. Neither is hosting a site.
Paul, I hope you are well mate. It's been a long time since we've spoken properly.

The point you make though is such a valid one. It's actually hard to believe that I was 15 when I setup this website. I'm 30 now. Long gone are the days where I was sat at school configuring the settings via FTP etc. I've been University, graduated, took up a job as a Junior Software Engineer, left my last place as a Principal Software Engineer and now a Middle Manager (feels like a Dilbert sketch this) at another company. Of course, during that process, your priorities change and while I do check out UR as much as I can, it's hard to be as attentive as I was back when I was in my teens and even early 20's.

It's also sad that we were able to exhaust so many conversations about Randy in the early days of both TK and UR because so little activity has happened around him. It's ludicrous that every few years we get another Jimi Hendrix demo, video, newly discovered this or that, etc etc and yet we've had absolutely nothing for Randy for about 10 years. We had the lost tape a few years ago. What else? I refuse to believe that there is nothing out there at all, so why we're all waiting around, getting older and people are slowly forgetting about him. You still see 18 year old kids wearing Jimi Hendrix t-shirts and I suppose, for me that was Randy Rhoads. It could have been for many other kids growing up, but while there was momentum years ago in the late 90's and early 00's... that has all but disappeared I guess. Randy doesn't even have an official website anymore and all of the unofficial ones have disappeared.
Rhoads-Fan
Cool Member

Post by Rhoads-Fan »

skezza wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:Back in the day Joe and Ian, et al were younger and had more time and money to devote to this place. Unfortunately we all get older and move off to real world lives and have less time and money to devote to passions. Also unfortunately, hosting music isn't free. Neither is hosting a site.
Paul, I hope you are well mate. It's been a long time since we've spoken properly.

The point you make though is such a valid one. It's actually hard to believe that I was 15 when I setup this website. I'm 30 now. Long gone are the days where I was sat at school configuring the settings via FTP etc. I've been University, graduated, took up a job as a Junior Software Engineer, left my last place as a Principal Software Engineer and now a Middle Manager (feels like a Dilbert sketch this) at another company. Of course, during that process, your priorities change and while I do check out UR as much as I can, it's hard to be as attentive as I was back when I was in my teens and even early 20's.

It's also sad that we were able to exhaust so many conversations about Randy in the early days of both TK and UR because so little activity has happened around him. It's ludicrous that every few years we get another Jimi Hendrix demo, video, newly discovered this or that, etc etc and yet we've had absolutely nothing for Randy for about 10 years. We had the lost tape a few years ago. What else? I refuse to believe that there is nothing out there at all, so why we're all waiting around, getting older and people are slowly forgetting about him. You still see 18 year old kids wearing Jimi Hendrix t-shirts and I suppose, for me that was Randy Rhoads. It could have been for many other kids growing up, but while there was momentum years ago in the late 90's and early 00's... that has all but disappeared I guess. Randy doesn't even have an official website anymore and all of the unofficial ones have disappeared.
Jesus man, You created this when you were 15 years old? For me, that was back in 1985. I know my gratitude won't put food on the table for ya, but Thank You!
I about cried reading your post. Randy (even though I did not know him) ment and still means the world to me. I cherish what little I do have and what little I do know about him. I never experienced bootlegs and concerts from the early days and had no idea how Randy died until I had an internet connection. Magazine articles just glossed over the events surrounding his death. On the internet, it was Mr. Perry's page, then .tk, and this forum where I find information...that is IF some of you aren't tired of talking about Randy. And YES I do want to know EVERYTHING about the man! I sit here and think about how he has been dead far longer then he was alive. I watch "La Bamba" and constantly wonder why Randy doesn't have movie about him??? If he was so loved and admired....WHY.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

Ian -

I appreciate all of what you have done and meant to this site. Years ago I found Randy Perry's site and that started the journey for me. He shared a ton of what he knew and I did a little research to give him the proper date of the rescheduled Montreal Show at the St. Denis Theater (he was kind enough to give me a credit in his old archives).

Thank you for trying to do what you can to fix the broken links - most, if not all, don't work. I tried everything, even shows I already had or didn't want. That said, there are those of us willing to help if we can. Just let us know how.

And if there is never anything new released that features Randy, it would be nice if this site was at least maintained to the point where all existing material could be organized and accessible for those that want to learn about him. I think the only other way you could possibly improve this amazing site would be to make the topics under each board index searchable by key words. That way, folks looking for specific information could find the top 5-10 threads that contain it.

Other than that, the blood, sweat, and tears you've put into this site is evident and beyond comprehension. It IS the best RR site on the planet and I am so appreciative of what you've done here. Let's not lose it or let it get stale. Cheers!
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

30 years old? Oh dear.
shawn
Cool Member

Post by shawn »

As I type this I am listening to new Bon Scott ACDC bootlegs I have never heard. The Bon bootlegs are of stunning quality too, just mind blowing. After all this time new Bon material surfaces every now and then and of a quality that is so fucking impressive its awesome. Old bootlegs are cleaned up and re-released to make listening to them a new experience basically.

Why not Randy! It is simply bullshit of the highest order! Randy's live playing is awe inspiring, I know his playing can still energise a new generation of guitarists.

I believe the extraordinary amount of background wankery that has surrounded Randy's legacy has crushed many of the releases we could all be sharing. Let me be absolutely clear here. I mean some of us fans are fuckwits and have done and said some bullshits of the highest order, and the same can be said of those that are meant to champion his legacy. The blame can be spread on all sides.

Think of the Randy Rhoads fans that have now also passed on without hearing or seeing some new material. I don't mean new songs, I'm talking about re mastered live gigs and the now proven live shoots. I guess that is what will happen to many of us, we will die knowing there is material out there that we are not going to see or hear.

I am full of hope though ... one of these days, yeah one of these days something will surface I will listen in awe and the police will be called for excessive noise complaints as Randy pushes speaker cones to their limits.
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

New Bon Scott-era bootlegs? What? Where? I wish some bootlegs from AC/DC's january 1980 French-tour would turn up!!!
Mikel
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

frank wrote:30 years old? Oh dear.

Right?

30 was so long ago and I'm a spring chicken next to you Frank ;)
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

[quote="Paul Wolfe"][quote="frank"]30 years old? Oh dear.[/quote]

Right?

30 was so long ago and I'm a spring chicken next to you Frank ;)[/quote]

Pipe down, son.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

A smile to my face here on UR. 2 of my favorite people posting and joking. Hi to both of you...

And to Ian, what can I do to help get the live shows connected again?