Do you think more Randy Rhoads footage exists?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Do you think more Randy Rhoads footage exists?

Yes, there must be footage somewhere!
91%
No, all there is we've seen already .
3%
I don't know.
6%

Total votes: 239

telemaster

Re: Do you think more Randy Rhoads footage exists?

Post by telemaster »

This Fresno Media Restoration posted a bunch of shows from the era on their You Tube channel including a first tour Van Halen show, a Ted Nugent 1978 show, the 1980 Def Leppard Show and many others.

The Wikedia page for the BOO tour shows one date for Fresno on Jone 30, 1981 at Selland Arena (where the other Fresno Media shows were filmed) that was cancelled. The Diary tour doesn’t list a Fresno show. It’s too bad, the Vh and Nugent shows I watched are really pretty good for that era.
tihsyloh

Post by tihsyloh »

I was wondering, in the Ordinary Man music video, did anyone notice the few seconds of the Entertainment Tonight footage? That's what it looked like to me anyway. Randy with the Concord, and it was crystal clear footage. Do the Osbourne's now own that footage? The bigger question, will it come out on a 40th anniversary edition of Diary and Blizzard along with the Detroit footage? Kathy has said that they are waiting for the right time to release the Detroit footage. I would think that the Rhoads family would not be able to release this footage without the cooperation of the Osbourne's. The 40th anniversary seems to me to be the best time to put this stuff out. I'm just speculating about all this, but I wanna hear what you think about it.
"But they're not blind, Its just that they won't see."[color=#0040FF][/color]
The Flying Dutchman

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

tihsyloh wrote:I was wondering, in the Ordinary Man music video, did anyone notice the few seconds of the Entertainment Tonight footage? That's what it looked like to me anyway. Randy with the Concord, and it was crystal clear footage. Do the Osbourne's now own that footage? The bigger question, will it come out on a 40th anniversary edition of Diary and Blizzard along with the Detroit footage? Kathy has said that they are waiting for the right time to release the Detroit footage. I would think that the Rhoads family would not be able to release this footage without the cooperation of the Osbourne's. The 40th anniversary seems to me to be the best time to put this stuff out. I'm just speculating about all this, but I wanna hear what you think about it.
Just see your post after doing a post in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11706.
I think cooperation with Osbournes is needed if they want to release that Detroit footage the right way. Especially if it's really good quality and a complete show. Maybe for the '40 years after Diary of A Madman' next year?
The winner of the rat race is still a rat.
fortress
Madman

Post by fortress »

ITs over guys. Nothing will see the light

I mean we will never see new Randy footage. After all these years.. its OVER.
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

That's unfortunate. We do have recorded music and a lot of bootlegs, which is great - it IS all about the music. The After Hours footage is good, and the Albuquerque footage is so-so (not much of Randy in it). It would've been great to have seen the Capitol Theater (NJ) footage or other full length concert that focused on the entire band and captured the excitement and vibe of a live show with Randy.

I've never held out hope for anything and am surprised that we got what we did. But I do think that the 30th anniversary stuff could've been done a lot better...Blizzard with outtakes and a companion unedited Southampton show with it. Diary with long-fades, remixes, and outtakes, with a full Diary Show with that. And then Tribute (Cleveland Show) in its original unedited form with a companion unedited Montreal show.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

No1UNo wrote:That's unfortunate. We do have recorded music and a lot of bootlegs, which is great - it IS all about the music. The After Hours footage is good, and the Albuquerque footage is so-so (not much of Randy in it). It would've been great to have seen the Capitol Theater (NJ) footage or other full length concert that focused on the entire band and captured the excitement and vibe of a live show with Randy.

I've never held out hope for anything and am surprised that we got what we did. But I do think that the 30th anniversary stuff could've been done a lot better...Blizzard with outtakes and a companion unedited Southampton show with it. Diary with long-fades, remixes, and outtakes, with a full Diary Show with that. And then Tribute (Cleveland Show) in its original unedited form with a companion unedited Montreal show.
All great suggestions but as with all things Randy related, greed and petty shit get in the way of something nice for the fans and to celebrate his legacy. The only untarnished celebration to me is Ron Sorbol's Quiet Years book and DVD.
ahxic12

Post by ahxic12 »

I still wondering about what happened with Phoenix Brothers footage.
alborg
Cool Member

Post by alborg »

ahxic12 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:26 pm I still wondering about what happened with Phoenix Brothers footage.
Don't worry about it. We'll be dead before anything substantial is released. Anyone associated with Randy is incompetent to release anything at this point.
ahxic12

Post by ahxic12 »

Glad that I am still very young, I may get to see RR footage but I really lost all my hope. But still looking forward
Dangling Carrot

Post by Dangling Carrot »

A friend received some footage from Detroit. The owner sent it to him and it was recorded with his cellphone as the footage with audio played on TV. He showed it to me yesterday . Pretty cool!
stealaway
Mass Poster

Post by stealaway »

No-one is truly keeping up Randy's legacy or promoting his name in any substantial way 😑 Osbournes never release anything properly, just bits and pieces. Rhoads-family never puts anything out. All that stuff should be put out when there's still people interested in his playing....
Mikel
orion_damage
Mass Poster

Post by orion_damage »

Dangling Carrot wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:26 pm A friend received some footage from Detroit. The owner sent it to him and it was recorded with his cellphone as the footage with audio played on TV. He showed it to me yesterday . Pretty cool!
Is it this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdmrvCp4WAI

Be great if we could see the actual footage without bogus drama.
Dangling Carrot

Post by Dangling Carrot »

I believe So
No1UNo
Cool Member

Post by No1UNo »

With Randy's Rock and Roll Music Hall of Fame induction in October 2021, and the 40th anniversary of his passing this March 2022, there was momentum and buzz around his name again. There seemed to be a lot out there...on the internet, in print magazines, online interviews - and the original owner of his "lost" 3rd Jackson RR3 Guitar coming forward to officially offer it up for sale. THAT was the window to release something properly, and now it is closing rapidly. We'll be in the doldrums again until the next big anniversary or some other momentous event.

Again, it is unfortunate - but there must be larger forces at work or legal constraints that just about make it impossible to do. Logic tells me that something else is getting in the way, regardless of the will of the parties that can do this, being unable to do this. It may be as simple as diminishing returns on the costs invested to clean something up to make it presentable for sale. I don't think we'll ever know the full story, and that's okay. It's not our bandmate/friend or brother that we lost. We love him but didn't really know him. The Rhoads' & Osbourne's lost a whole lot more.

What would be cool is to see some of the live shows reissued in their original form, without editing and other things done to them: Southampton, Cleveland, Montreal, Indianapolis, and perhaps another show or two - especially from the Diary of a Madman Tour, that Kevin Churko (Producer) worked on when he put together the "Ozzy Live" show (which used multiple shows as it source to create a "best of" concert with Randy). I'm thinking of a 5-10 disc collection that showcases Randy's playing and documents his growth and maturity as a live player. Again, it really is all about the music.

But I will add, seeing many new pictures of Ozzy and Randy together playing live (which I had surprisingly never seen before), seeing video of the energy, passion, and fire that they delivered during a live show would be AWESOME. So many of those pictures show so much emotion and chemistry between them, and even if minor parts of the performance weren't perfect, all of that overrides any mistakes or mixed-up lyrics. That is why I asked about what it was like when Ozzy and Randy played the Boston Orpheum on 5.1.81, to begin to imagine what it was like, not being able to be there at age 14.

We are 40 years on. There's not a whole lot new under the sun. We hope, but at the end of the day we enjoy what we have. Nothing will take away the music. But that could be a way to do it with limited footage. Put together brand new music videos for "I Don't Know", "Crazy Train", & "Mr. Crowley", along with "Over the Mountain", "Flying High Again", and the hit that should've been that never was, "You Can't Kill Rock and Roll." Not the silly, low budget lyric videos that use edited pictures over and over again, but some legacy defining ones that capture the essence of the song and its vibe. A high-concept video for "Diary of a Madman", that captures the torture of mental illness and its hopelessness would be AMAZING.

But alas, what to do - and what can be done, and how to do it tastefully without diminishing returns selling to a small cult following. But perhaps that's the wrong mindset. Maybe it should be about creating artifacts that accompany those 2 amazing, wonderful albums that stand the test of time and live up to what Randy would've wanted, wether it be a set of live shows, curated music videos (that were never made), or other things. Do it well, do it right, and then leave it at that once you figure out what it looks like.