HOLY SHIT!!!!.....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Bottom line if jake came up with better material then he would have done a few more albums with ozzy. Bark at the moon and shot in the dark is all he has that did anything for ozzy. So tired is an awesome song and one of my favorites, and there are a couple short runs in that song I would say are definetley randys, bob or don must have heard him play it and then Used it for that song and Jake played it. I think it's that short descending run before ozzy says "you stayed at home remaining true" that little riff has Randy written all over it.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

That song was written using some ideas written by Randy. Don and Randy had apparently been working on something for the next album, and this is what they got from it.

And Jake was fired by the way. It wasn't that he couldn't come up with anything, he was fired. (In a manner similar to Zakk. He wasn't told up front, it was printed in a magazine first apparently)
Like the lunar and solar lights, humanity's unaligned, undefined.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Jake was fires cause he could not deliver the hits ozzy wanted ..that's what I meant withthe material. Look at zakk, same thing happened but henlasted almost 20yrs eith ozzy pumping out multiple hits odd each album. Come black rain and it does poorly and gets not so great reviews by media and fans and zakk gets thr axe to, same reasoning.

the only thing ever said about so tired was that tbs song wad inspired by Randy, they all said none of his ideas were put on any song on that album.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

always thought So Tired sounded very Randy-ish, especially the solo....and I wasn't knocking Jake. I liked both albums. His live tone and musicianship on that tour was lackluster at best. You could tell he wasn't really into it. That entire glammed up, gay pirate look (not that there's anything wrong with that :P ) was just a weird time for Ozzy.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Often seen and wondered why... Your not with me tonight.
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Hmm.. Some interesting thoughts on Jake, and also on So Tired.. First of all, I wouldnt say that Jake didnt deliver the hits that Ozzy wanted, Bark at the Moon and The Ultimate Sin both went platinum while Jake was still in the band.. I remember when The Ultimate Sin came out, MTV played multiple videos from that album constantly, and we all know Shot in The Dark is one of Ozzys most well known songs.. Im not saying either album is great or bad. Just saying..

As far as So Tired having elements written by Randy, this is something that i have never heard before.. I do agree that it sounds like Randy could have had a hand in it, but to say it was something that he, Bob and Don were working on for a third album is new to me.. Its pretty common knowledge that EVERYONE thought Randy would be gone from playing with Ozzy very soon had he not passed away. Im not saying its not true, but id like to know what the source is as far as Randy writing parts of So Tired.

Matt
RR-ElectricAngel
Mass Poster

Who Knows...

Post by RR-ElectricAngel »

It's almost impossible to really know the "actual truth" of why Jake E. Lee didn't stay with Ozzy. I've heard several points of view. In this interview from 1987 (after Tribute was released) Ozzy tells the interviewer at 2:52 that Jake was "wanting to do his own project." I remember in a different interview with Ozzy that Jake wanted greater creative control. In other words, he wanted to be more than just a hired gun. I haven't located that interview yet so I'll just keep looking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99AEP72I2jg
To be a teacher you must never stop learning yourself...
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

There's a few versions that's for sure. I remember reading an interview with Jake, I think Guitar World-late '86, where he spoke about the harder parts of being in Ozzy's band. One was the pressure of other guitarists "waiting for me to f... up".
He also sorta hinted that it was a bit of a lost cause trying to be accepted in his own right cos fans kept comparing him to Randy. I think he had an incident where fans pointed at their RR t-shirts and did the 'number one' sign then pointed at him and flipped him off....which led to a bit of verbal fight. He wasn't a happy camper in those last 6 months or so of being with Ozzy.
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

I'll have to find the interview, but I could have sworn I read an interview by Don that he and Randy were beginning to work on stuff for the next album. Bob was not involved (as he wasn't in the band at the time. It was after he was fired) and apparently Randy's idea was involved in the making of this song. That would explain why it sounds so "Randy-esque"

Bark at the moon, and others, were not influenced by Randy at all.

There is an interview somewhere where Jake is asked what songs he wrote on the BATM album, So Tired is not listed as something he wrote (which is another reason as to why I think Randy wrote it, or part of it) Whereas almost everything else is.
Tito
Mass Poster

Post by Tito »

thanks angel!!!!
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

"GW: How much input did you have on Bark At The Moon?

Jake: �Most of the music was mine. �Rock N� Roll Rebel�, �Bark At The Moon�, �Now You See It, (Now You Don�t)�, �Waiting For Darkness� and �Slow Down� were mine."

http://www.jakeelee.com/html/modules/In ... ov1986.htm

Ironface166 wrote:
Q: To your knowledge, did Randy have any music that he may have been working on before he died that was recorded and then presented to Jake E. Lee to adapt? The song "Bark At The Moon" specifically has been speculated by some to have been written by Randy.

A: No way, Bark was written by Jake and me and Ozzy came up with the vocal melody to which I then wrote the lyrics. I know there wasn't any Randy leftovers on Bark that were used as we wnated to establish the new band as it's own thing. Randy did have a slow piece that we'd all been working on that may have inspired the song I'm So Tired, but that was only inspiration.

http://www.nobitching.com/phpbb3/viewto ... f=30&t=141

Apparently "So Tired" was inspired by something Randy had written
Remedylane
Cool Member

Post by Remedylane »

Thanks Cryptic! I wasnt at all doubting you or anything.. But that clears up a lot.. I agree it is very Randyish, but i didnt think it had any actual parts written by him.. So it was inspiration only. Man, I sure would like to hear the slow piece that they were working on with Randy.. I bet someone has a rough recording of it somewhere..

Matt
Cryptic Night
Mass Poster

Post by Cryptic Night »

It was inspiration as far as we know. Only Don and Randy would have been the ones to know for sure. I don't think Bob ever saw Randy again after he was fired. So I don't know how he was introduced to the song. Whether Don said, "This is something Randy and I started working on."and played them the riff or if he played them an actual tape that Randy and Don recorded.

I'm not trying to discredit Bob here, but we really don't know if he was just shown a riff that Don said was inspired by something they were working on, or if it's the actual riff itself.

Chances are, we will never even know.

Guess they'll just have to show us the actual tape that Randy and Don were working on...... :D
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Jake is the only guitarist after Randy that I would be excited to see some unreleased live music.

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
estang74

Post by estang74 »

I agree Matt. I thought Jake did an excellent job when he played with Ozzy. I also find it kinda sad with all the jake and brad bashing. Could anyone of you guys do better? Think about the circumstances for a second and also think about the year 82/83 Randy was way ahead of his time and there were only a couple of players that could try to fill his shoes at that time.

My theory is Jake got sick of Ozzy's antics. Imagine being on the road when you spend a lot of time in close quarters with a guy who is an alcoholic/coke/weed and who knows else addict. The guy is not in a good frame of mind. You gotta deal with that every day and night while trying to put on a great show night after night with fans flipping you off and comparing you to one of the most famous guitar players of all time. Take a step back and really listen to Jake's playing on those two albums. There are some great playing on those albums. Somebody has a youtube up with all of jake's best solos and I forgot how good of a player he was.

So before you guys bash these incredible guitarists, take a step back to think about what you are saying and walk a mile in their shoes.
www.reverbnation.com/estang74