New hope for the 'Legacy'?

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

chilinvilin
Cool Member

Re: New hope for the 'Legacy'?

Post by chilinvilin »

rhoads56 wrote:When it comes down to it, the Rhoads family owe us nothing. They have already given us their most prized possession.
:roll:
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

"When it comes down to it, the Rhoads family owe us nothing. They have already given us their most prized possession."

Ask for nothing and you shall receive it in abundance!
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Post by CanuckRhoadsFan »

hansolo wrote:"When it comes down to it, the Rhoads family owe us nothing. They have already given us their most prized possession."

Ask for nothing and you shall receive it in abundance!
Amen! Never truer than in this case!
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

I have got some BIG news

Look
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1348355

$harron and ozz are back together
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:What have the Rhoads family done in the last 30 years to make any mark on RR's legacy...Over priced guitars, wine, a failed documentary and allowing people to visit musonia.
What do you want? What have you done about it?

Have you gone to California and talked to Kathy, Kelle or Delores about what you think would be a positive way to keep Randy's so-called 'legacy' alive?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is just as valid as anyone's I suppose. Here's mine: Any Randy "fan" who talks shit about the man's family is a douche. The NUMBER ONE problem with this or any RR 'fansite' is that so many members feel they deserve more about their idol.

Randy was all about playing and teaching guitar and the least used section of this site is the section for players. When people start showing an interest in how he made his music from a compositional standpoint, new information will present itself and a new appreciation for who Randy was will be found.

All this bullshit about what his effects settings were or what speakers he used is 100% opposed to what the man himself taught his students. He was all about people learning how their heroes played a song and then figuring out how to apply that information to their own playing.

If Randy's family saw a large increase in the discussion of the composition of his style and music, they might be more inclined to offer more than they already have. Remember, they are a family of musicians, not rock stars or groupies.

As for calling Randy's sister a 'wannabe wine shop owner,' that's just another douche admitting he hasn't a clue about much in this world.
rhoads56 wrote:When it comes down to it, the Rhoads family owe us nothing. They have already given us their most prized possession.
+1000
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I think it's all about the music. Dee, Kelle or someone else could have came out (endorsed) with music theory based on Randy's teachings (that would be unquestionably a beautiful thing). I know it sounds a bit religious here but I do agree with you to a certain extent. A lot of books are how to learn about Randy's licks but not his theory or approach. Perhaps Mr. Wolfe could lead us in a sermon of a Rhoads class of theory. I tend to fall into Randy's nightmare of learning licks and trying to then apply them. It's the worst way to learn. However, I have this Tux guitar software (Google it), which helps in learning songs and how to write music, you just open it and score your own songs (or try in my case). I for one am open to new things. I just have a slower reaction time in my old age...
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

Remember this is a forum, like sitting on the couch with your buddies. Sometimes you yell things out that you wouldn't at work or in front of a camera. This is what makes us all free. You will get the bad with the good but at least it's honesty. You'll get the wrong and the right and the mislead but to me that is what strengthens my beliefs. All the attacks and all the statements that cement me to my beliefs.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:
GUITARIDOL5682 wrote:What have the Rhoads family done in the last 30 years to make any mark on RR's legacy...Over priced guitars, wine, a failed documentary and allowing people to visit musonia.
What do you want? What have you done about it?

Have you gone to California and talked to Kathy, Kelle or Delores about what you think would be a positive way to keep Randy's so-called 'legacy' alive?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yours is just as valid as anyone's I suppose. Here's mine: Any Randy "fan" who talks shit about the man's family is a douche. The NUMBER ONE problem with this or any RR 'fansite' is that so many members feel they deserve more about their idol.

Randy was all about playing and teaching guitar and the least used section of this site is the section for players. When people start showing an interest in how he made his music from a compositional standpoint, new information will present itself and a new appreciation for who Randy was will be found.

All this bullshit about what his effects settings were or what speakers he used is 100% opposed to what the man himself taught his students. He was all about people learning how their heroes played a song and then figuring out how to apply that information to their own playing.

If Randy's family saw a large increase in the discussion of the composition of his style and music, they might be more inclined to offer more than they already have. Remember, they are a family of musicians, not rock stars or groupies.

As for calling Randy's sister a 'wannabe wine shop owner,' that's just another douche admitting he hasn't a clue about much in this world.
+1000
I always love how when people question anything around here, or have an opinion that's critical in any way, they get ranted at. :roll:

The settings comment is also rich. As Randy was a guitar teacher, and actually gave oh, I don't know, SEMINARS on what equipment he used and how he played the songs, it would seem that this is not "opposed" to how he thought people should learn, does it?
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

hansolo wrote:Remember this is a forum, like sitting on the couch with your buddies. Sometimes you yell things out that you wouldn't at work or in front of a camera. This is what makes us all free. You will get the bad with the good but at least it's honesty. You'll get the wrong and the right and the mislead but to me that is what strengthens my beliefs. All the attacks and all the statements that cement me to my beliefs.
+1

...and yelling someone down does not make your point more valid.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

Paul Wolfe wrote: As for calling Randy's sister a 'wannabe wine shop owner,' that's just another douche admitting he hasn't a clue about much in this world
That's my opinion Paul and as far as me being a douche and being some what clueless. I'm like Kathy, Delores & Kelle you've never met them and neither have i. You know jack shit about me as a person, so how can you comment. All we know about them is what we have read and learned on line in magazine etc. I know as much as you ok. So does that make you a fucking expert Eh!!.
hansolo
Mass Poster

Post by hansolo »

I think that a family that owns a music school, whose brother/son went on to be a guitar hero/musician who died too early and was told every day of their life how special or how he influenced him for years, should of been more in to the music lessons about Randy and his style rather than expensive wine or $13,000 guitars. It is about his legacy. They seem to have no interest in anything else which is not studio quality, like a new album is going to appear. Randy said he didn't like the QR albums (which we all have debated at great lengths) but he didn't know he would die so soon. Look at the Hendrix estate, there was so much stuff released (since his death) and Jimi just released a new album too BTW and they put out audience recordings! Anybody wanna buy some Jimi Hendrix' Foxy Lady Wine Coolers?
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

hansolo wrote:It is about his legacy.
Has anyone in your family died? What have you done to cement their legacy for future generations?

Randy's 'legacy' is already secure, no one has to do anything further regarding it. Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman are available for anyone to listen to. Anytime a new aspiring guitar player hears Crazy Train on the radio he can be inspired to learn more about the musician who played on it and research said musician. Then this new, aspiring guitar player can Google the name and find his or her way here where they can learn all they would ever want to know about him (minus specifics about the musical theory involved in his playing since we don't discuss that here). Said newbie player can then continue spreading the word of Randy's greatness to his friends and, one day, the next generation.

What did Beethoven's mom do for his legacy?

Give the family bashing a rest and start learning how Randy created his music and why he loved playing the guitar.

This goes for EVERYONE at this site.
CanuckRhoadsFan
Madman

Paul Wolfe wrote:
Has anyone in your family died? What have you done to cement their legacy for future generations?

Randy's 'legacy' is already secure, no one has to do anything further regarding it. Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman are available for anyone to listen to. Anytime a new aspiring guitar player hears Crazy Train on the radio he can be inspired to learn more about the musician who played on it and research said musician. Then this new, aspiring guitar player can Google the name and find his or her way here where they can learn all they would ever want to know about him (minus specifics about the musical theory involved in his playing since we don't discuss that here). Said newbie player can then continue spreading the word of Randy's greatness to his friends and, one day, the next generation.

Give the family bashing a rest and start learning how Randy created his music and why he loved playing the guitar.

Ugh.

Please get down off the self righteous high-horse. Your sermon from the mount style gets quite annoying. The condescension is insulting to many people here.

People have opinions, whether you like them or not, or whether you agree with them or not. While I do not agree with bashing the family, having a criticism is a different thing altogether. People seem to confuse the actions and thoughts of others with the actual person themselves.

EVERYONE at the site is entitled to an opinion. That doesn't just mean a select few.

As far as cementing someone's legacy, I don't think people are naive enough to think that things aren't done differently when someone is famous, so that is a straw man argument.
randy will never die
Mass Poster

Post by randy will never die »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:
Paul Wolfe wrote:

Ugh.

Please get down off the self righteous high-horse. Your sermon from the mount style gets quite annoying. The condescension is insulting to many people here.

People have opinions, whether you like them or not, or whether you agree with them or not. While I do not agree with bashing the family, having a criticism is a different thing altogether. People seem to confuse the actions and thoughts of others with the actual person themselves.

EVERYONE at the site is entitled to an opinion. That doesn't just mean a select few.

As far as cementing someone's legacy, I don't think people are naive enough to think that things aren't done differently when someone is famous, so that is a straw man argument.

I agree with that BUT no need to bash anybody
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:Ugh.

No, it's not a 'straw argument'. It's a statement you disagree with, that's all. You don't like my comments, and that's fine but that doesn't make them less valid or wrong. Just like I don't like the comments of others, they are still valid. Just because someone is famous, there legacy should be no different than anyone else. They influence those around them either positively or negatively. Why should Randy Rhoads' family be attacked because they don't present information that the membership of this website feels they 'deserve'?

I am in no way 'self-righteous', I simply have an opinion that doesn't waver. I am confident in my beliefs and abilities and that bothers some people because I refuse to tow the party line if I find it disagreeable.
CanuckRhoadsFan wrote:People seem to confuse the actions and thoughts of others with the actual person themselves.
What? People make statements based on who they are. If your statements don't reflect who you are as a person then what does? You are on the Internet, son, the only way you can present yourself is through your statements.