HOLY SHIT!!!!.....

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

estang74 wrote:I agree Matt. I thought Jake did an excellent job when he played with Ozzy. I also find it kinda sad with all the jake and brad bashing. Could anyone of you guys do better? Think about the circumstances for a second and also think about the year 82/83 Randy was way ahead of his time and there were only a couple of players that could try to fill his shoes at that time.
Well said! I hate how critical people are with Brad not only was he a great player but he never tried to be Randy! he just had to play the same songs in the same set list on the same stage.
what I find hard to stomach is that Brad got crucified by the fans and still get verbal attacks to this day doing what most people would love to do! Play on the same stage as Ozzy Osbouure.
Yet why is it not so tasteful to insult Bernie Torme? (for the record I love Bernie's work) Bernie didn't play the songs as well as Brad and the band members sentiments at the time were no less happy! so why are people less willing to be as hurtful towards Bernie!?!?!?!?
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

Well I have to confess Brad Gillis is not to my taste and I have said some less than charitable things about him :shock: But you are right pointing that out! He was and still is a pro and like him or loathe him a great player.

Darin said to me once that when people didn't like or get what was so special about Randy, he thought that us Randy fans kind of picked up a special radar like signal that detected what was special.

That got me thinking in general how often it is not the music that lacks but our perception as listeners, as we cannot grasp it! Of course people don't blame themselves but what is being presented to them= LMAO us humans eh?

The 'Ozzy sound' to me, is more than just the guitarist playing with him, at any particulaer period of his career. I think I will probably get the Brad and Ozzy DVD as I will still enjoy seeing an Ozzy concert of that period.

I am after all a fan of Ozzy as much as Randy, Jake, Brad etc etc!

Matt
Last edited by Cpt Matt Sparrow on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

People sympathize with Bernie, as he got tricked pay-wise, he had to use Randy's pedalboard, he put his fledgling solo career on hold. Who knows?
Maybe because Brad was younger and around longer, so, it's easier for him to be cut up by the fans.
Bernie made mistakes, had a different tone as he favored strats, didn't have the same stage moves as Randy...so what gives? It has to be the fact that he was only around for a couple of weeks, no video and hardly any audio exist of him on the tour for folks to pick apart.
Brad was more visible, and several audio boots of his tenure exist, so that may be the ticket.
Brad had a fledgling career awaiting him as well with Ranger, had to deal with a grieving band and crew, had to work at winning a skeptical crowd over nightly, and the guy stuck around for over a half a year, correct?
It says a lot about Brad's character, no?
Some folks say: 'He's no Randy', well, no shit! Randy is dead...no Bernie or Brad, no Ozzy. They wanted a guitarist right away to get the show back on the road right away, there's not a lot of time to learn what you need, no time to try to convey that persons nuances in the riffs in the solos. The former relacement is bugging out...here are some casettes, can you learn these exactly? You have to, there are no other guitarists, you must do it, as you are our only hope, Brad Kenobi!
I don't know what it is...that Brad is some sort of an imposter, in Randy's spot on the stage, flinging mud on Randy's legacy with his shitty tone and whammy bar leanings.
Randy was not some form of deity, he wasn't even a genius. He was an above average musician who happened to die in a foolish accident while on tour with a major act.
It's the same bullshit with Zakk, two decades of playing Randy's material, and he's still picked apart for pinch harmonics and pentatonics.
Why? he's not Randy. Far be it for someone to put their own stamp on a dead man's compositions! How dare they! It is sacred territory! Sanctified Saintly by all of the Saints in Saintville!
Gimme a break, people.
Randy was just a guy who I never knew or met or saw, who happened to play some excellent guitar on a couple of albums. His efforts showed promise of great things in his future, but he made a bad choice, and fate took him away.
Jake has Brad to thank for making his tenure in Ozzy a good one, as the fans got most of their venting out on Brad. I know Jake still had to deal, but not to the extent Brad did.
Brad is a class act.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

whoopiecat wrote:People sympathize with Bernie, as he got tricked pay-wise, he had to use Randy's pedalboard, he put his fledgling solo career on hold. Who knows?
Maybe because Brad was younger and around longer, so, it's easier for him to be cut up by the fans.
Bernie made mistakes, had a different tone as he favored strats, didn't have the same stage moves as Randy...so what gives? It has to be the fact that he was only around for a couple of weeks, no video and hardly any audio exist of him on the tour for folks to pick apart.
Brad was more visible, and several audio boots of his tenure exist, so that may be the ticket.
Brad had a fledgling career awaiting him as well with Ranger, had to deal with a grieving band and crew, had to work at winning a skeptical crowd over nightly, and the guy stuck around for over a half a year, correct?
It says a lot about Brad's character, no?
Some folks say: 'He's no Randy', well, no shit! Randy is dead...no Bernie or Brad, no Ozzy. They wanted a guitarist right away to get the show back on the road right away, there's not a lot of time to learn what you need, no time to try to convey that persons nuances in the riffs in the solos. The former relacement is bugging out...here are some casettes, can you learn these exactly? You have to, there are no other guitarists, you must do it, as you are our only hope, Brad Kenobi!
I don't know what it is...that Brad is some sort of an imposter, in Randy's spot on the stage, flinging mud on Randy's legacy with his shitty tone and whammy bar leanings.
Randy was not some form of deity, he wasn't even a genius. He was an above average musician who happened to die in a foolish accident while on tour with a major act.
It's the same bullshit with Zakk, two decades of playing Randy's material, and he's still picked apart for pinch harmonics and pentatonics.
Why? he's not Randy. Far be it for someone to put their own stamp on a dead man's compositions! How dare they! It is sacred territory! Sanctified Saintly by all of the Saints in Saintville!
Gimme a break, people.
Randy was just a guy who I never knew or met or saw, who happened to play some excellent guitar on a couple of albums. His efforts showed promise of great things in his future, but he made a bad choice, and fate took him away.
Jake has Brad to thank for making his tenure in Ozzy a good one, as the fans got most of their venting out on Brad. I know Jake still had to deal, but not to the extent Brad did.
Brad is a class act.
well getting up on a plane is not a bad decision, obviously Randy did not know the guy was up all night doing coke and his licensed had expired. He had no reason not to get up on the plane that morning.
whoopiecat
Mass Poster

Post by whoopiecat »

Yes, but Randy made the choice, and it turned out to be a bad one.
Obviously, his friends had just gone up for a ride with Andy, and had no problems.
It's even been said that Andy was told not to mess around as Rachel was older and Randy was dodgy about flying.
No one will ever know what went on in that plane. I doubt Andy was coked out of his mind, if that were the case, Jake or Don would have pulled Randy aside and said: 'Dude, do not go up with Andy, he is fuckin' wired right now!'
Don reffered to the plane ride as an innocent thing...wtf happened? Did Andy want to end his life and take his estranged wife with him? Did he start having heart problems due to coke use/ lack of sleep/ stress in personal life? Did Rachel start having heart problems? No one will ever know, and though Don has claimed he has photos of before, during and after...I don't think they'd provide any kind of answer.
I don't think Randy was a fool for doing what he did. The choice he made ended badly, hence, he made a bad choice, that's all.
Whenever I put on Blizzard or Diary, what a wonderful, delicate furious beast.... I MISS you, man!
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:Jake is the only guitarist after Randy that I would be excited to see some unreleased live music.

Matt
Well, I don't have video, however, I do have a bootleg I recorded myself. It's Jake on the Bark at the Moon tour in Providence, RI. I haven't transfered it to CD yet. I have been sitting on it for ages. I can transfer it easily, but I can't improve the sound. Someone else would have to do that. Maybe Darin. I was around the 5th row or so in front of Jake. I even have a couple of photos from that.
Shockwave
Mass Poster

Post by Shockwave »

Silver Rhoads wrote:
Cpt Matt Sparrow wrote:Jake is the only guitarist after Randy that I would be excited to see some unreleased live music.

Matt
Well, I don't have video, however, I do have a bootleg I recorded myself. It's Jake on the Bark at the Moon tour in Providence, RI. I haven't transfered it to CD yet. I have been sitting on it for ages. I can transfer it easily, but I can't improve the sound. Someone else would have to do that. Maybe Darin. I was around the 5th row or so in front of Jake. I even have a couple of photos from that.
just upload it to the torrent sites, give a great description of the source(you) and then just upload it, someone will clean it up
eventually.
cableguyxx
Mass Poster

Post by cableguyxx »

Silver Rhoads wrote:

Matt
I'd be happy to take a crack at it if you'd like me to. Photos to go with an actual show are a huge bonus that are usually hard to come by.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

Silver Rhoads wrote:

Matt
Is it Providence 20 Jan 1984 if it is I have that one in my collection but I would be interested in hearing how your compares? 8)
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
Cpt Matt Sparrow
Mass Poster

Post by Cpt Matt Sparrow »

That would be great to see that!

Matt
Having a break from online activity for a while to concentrate on music. Please email if you need to get in touch. Matt
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

! I hate how critical people are with Brad not only was he a great player but he never tried to be Randy! he just had to play the same songs in the same set list on the same stage.
what I find hard to stomach is that Brad got crucified by the fans and still get verbal attacks to this day doing what most people would love to do! Play on the same stage as Ozzy Osbouure.

Well.......no one is bashing Brad Gillis personally, i'm sure he's a great guy...but the fact of the matter is that he was (and isn't) a great guitarist, but adequate. Couple that with a terrible stage persona and bad guitar sound. The follow up guitarists like Lee and Wylde didn't try to be Randy either....but stood great in their own right.
At the time in '82, there were literally hundreds of more talented players in the circuit, i still find him to be an odd choice (i think it mostly came down to immediate availability).
I'll be buying the DVD because its the Madman tour, but i've seen and owned the bootleg and i really wish they would've brought in a better guitarist (even with the rushed timetables), it would have made for a more enjoyable concert to watch. Alot of the show is embarassing to watch with the dreadfully weak guitar tone and extreme overuse of the whammy resulting in an almost unwatchable performance.
*fingers still crossed* to see that footage Ozzy says is "newly uncovered"
halo8th
Cool Member

Post by halo8th »

On another note...
I'm surprised that the Osbourne's haven't came out and denounced this release as "bogus" or something already. Either they will or they will act and pretend as if it doesn't even exist. Shit, they've erased Jake E Lee from the planet as well, they won't even acknowledge his presence at this point, so i'm sure they'll do their best to erase this as well.
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

All that said Halo' and taking individual oppinions into account, I still think we as a community are unpleasent to Brad without good enough reason. Maybe they picked the wrong man but that wasn't his fault and he gave it a bloody good stab! and we should credit him with helping keep the band together and making them realise that they hadn't reached the end of the road.
One reason I am not convinced of Brads total crapness is that I know people who saw Randy with Ozzy and loved the band! then they saw Brad with Ozzy and loved the band!
Yet over time as they have become devoted to Randy and because of greater exposure to Randy material they have begun to be critical of Brad. I think that these individuals are not remembering Brad as they did following the shows they saw but more that they have demonstrated a guilt for the loss of Randy that time has amplified. This seems to show itself in a way that doesn't alow them to accept Brad or for that matter anyone else who dares to play his music.
Gus
Cool Member

Post by Gus »

hi Trigger,

Didn't you actually see Brad live with Ozzy on the '82 tour? Would you mind saying a bit about what the show was like?

It surprises me a little how critical some are of him. If he's not your personal taste then OK, but there weren't really loads of others who could've done a better job at that time. In '82 guitar heros weren't exactly in every club. Ozzy asked Gary Moore and Michael Schenker who couldn't/wouldn't, so he searched in the US again. George Lynch and Craig Collins Turner didn't get the gig, and Gillis was probably way above most of what was left after them.
I prefer Randy too BTW, but I thought Gillis did alright under the circumstances.
Silver Rhoads
Cool Member

Post by Silver Rhoads »

Trigger wrote:
Silver Rhoads wrote:

Matt
Is it Providence 20 Jan 1984 if it is I have that one in my collection but I would be interested in hearing how your compares? 8)
It might be the same copy, I'm not sure because I did hand out several cassette tapes back then, so perhaps it did get circulated. I never really thought about it. I haven't heard it in so long and I'm not even sure it's complete because I recorded Motley's whole set first. :shock: :lol: